Liked: 0

Default Newbie in search of answers. Legrand?

Hello All,

I am new to the site and joined in hopes some folks on here may be able to help me in Identifying a recent purchase. I came across this car through an old co worker who inherited it from an uncle who passed about a year ago or more.
    I have been around cars my entire life, I currently work primarily with post war European Sports cars, mainly Ferrari, Porsche, Lancia and Alfas, among other things relating to classic cars. This is the main reason I purchased this little open wheel racer, How could I pass up a cool little 60's era race car powered by a Fiat 1100 engine breathing through two side draft weber DCO carbs and putting power to the ground through a Fiat 600 transaxle.
    I have been scouring the net trying to Identify what make and model it really is, I was first told it is a 1962 Legrand Mk1, However I do not believe this to be the case. From what I have found on the net it appears to be more like a Legrand Mk6, possibly set up for Formula Junior or Formula C, these are my best guesses as of yet. The car has been in storage since the mid 80's and came with an NOS Lotus 41 body which the previous owner intended to fit to the car, not sure it would but if so boy would it look great!

I have attached a couple photos in hopes there are some members here who can lend a hand in helping me find out what it actually is if nothing at all, either way my intentions are to clean it up, make it run and more than likely enjoy it as static art ( I do not fit well in the car be rather tall and slightly wide at the shoulders to fit comfortably) and I dont really have any intentions of selling, unless there is someone out there who would really like to track it again.

Thank you in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.2.15 iphone 163.jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	127.5 KB 
ID:	51000   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.2.15 iphone 065.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	51001   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.2.15 iphone 161.jpg 
Views:	364 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	51002  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.2.15 iphone 167.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	51003   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.2.15 iphone 164.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	51004   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.2.15 iphone 165.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	51005  

Liked: 15

I just saw this post, and I agree with whoever told you it is a mk 1. I am currently restoring a mk 6 that also needs a new body, and from the picture I agree that your car has much more in common with the mk 1 than the 3 or the 6. My shop is in Gardena CA if you would like to come see my mk 6. Good luck to you with whatever you decide to do with the car.

Todd

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 433

I see this post originated over 18 months ago but lets keep it rolling. Are you sure it is a LeGrand? The LeGrand pictures I have seen it appears they have round tube lower frame rails where yours are square. Also around the dash bulkhead they look different to yours. Is there any numbers on the frame at all, especially around the rear suspension bulk head. Great looking car though and quite unique. Good luck.
    Graham

Liked: 15

The frame does have some very weird characteristics, but the uprights and brakes are Legrand for sure. Maybe someone re-framed a wrecked Legrand?

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

the Airheart brakes, steering rack, inboard/outboard rear brake discs and all hubs say LEGRAND to me

Hello everyone and thank you for the input.

The best I have found out is similar to some of the comments on this thread, the frame is most likely a homebuilt Legrand from plans, using parts bought from Legrand for suspension and such, still looking into other leads, but I have had to put the project on the back burner for now.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 28

Default Legrand MK1 Chassis Photos

If you are still exploring possibilities perhaps this will help. I have a Legrand MK1. Here's some photos of it with out the body work and one fully dressed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LG 1.JPG 
Views:	182 
Size:	156.7 KB 
ID:	63847   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LG 2.JPG 
Views:	179 
Size:	163.5 KB 
ID:	63848   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LG 3.JPG 
Views:	196 
Size:	166.5 KB 
ID:	63849  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	legrand 11.27.05 8.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	127.1 KB 
ID:	63850  

8. The following 2 users liked this post:

Default LeGrand

I have a 1965 Mk 3 FC and yours share much with it. The chassis "idea" is the same and the suspension looks exactly the same. The roll bar and rear buttress is wider on yours. It looks stouter than mine. I have a set of those wheels on mine as well. (not a LeGrand part) I hope you can find time to play with it soon.
    Brad in Seattle

Liked: 210

With the 1100 CC engine from that era, I'd say it was for sure a Formula Junior.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Thread Information