Thread: rumble strips

Liked: 0

Default rumble strips

Shoud rumple strips at any road race track be considered out-of-bounds????

Liked: 757

No

Liked: 151

No.

Liked: 350

What are the rules of the organization you're racing with? The track? The supplemental regulations for the event?
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Olivola View Post
    What are the rules of the organization you're racing with? The track? The supplemental regulations for the event?
    Svra cota....Wade Cunningham and Ryan Lewis recieved the black flag for going out of bounds in quals this morning for running over the rumple strips

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Hmmmm. Is that made well known ? Seems drastic. The 'Dragon's Teeth' at BHF can end your day involuntarily....
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 43

Is the white line on the trackside of the rumble strips?

From the Notes from the Competition Director for the COTA event.

The COTA circuit is 3.4 miles long and run counter-clockwise. The Inner White Line on the race track defines the “Racing Surface”. A 2-off or 4-off is “over that white line” – you need to remember this. Advancing position by using this area will result in a Black Flag.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Welsh View Post
    Is the white line on the trackside of the rumble strips?

From the Notes from the Competition Director for the COTA event.

The COTA circuit is 3.4 miles long and run counter-clockwise. The Inner White Line on the race track defines the “Racing Surface”. A 2-off or 4-off is “over that white line” – you need to remember this. Advancing position by using this area will result in a Black Flag.
    They have 2 white lines at cota a white line then the rumple strips then a red area then another white line if they are referring to the inner white line every one needs to be black flaged...according to the gopro's they used the rumple strips but never crossed the red area or the second white line and they never went off track anywhere

Rumple strips? As in un-ironed shirts? As in Columbo's suit?

As for the infractions you're alleging, were they called in by the corners? Have drivers protested? No call/paper - no infraction.

Racing isn't like keeping to the right of the double yellow line on the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Indyracer View Post
    They have 2 white lines at cota a white line then the rumple strips then a red area then another white line if they are referring to the inner white line every one needs to be black flaged...according to the gopro's they used the rumple strips but never crossed the red area or the second white line and they never went off track anywhere
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Rumple strips? As in un-ironed shirts? As in Columbo's suit?

As for the infractions you're alleging, were they called in by the corners? Have drivers protested? No call/paper - no infraction.

Racing isn't like keeping to the right of the double yellow line on the street.
    Drivers complaining and they are not crossing the inner most white line but are using up the rumple strips
    Here is a link of a pro's lap around cota, count how many times he used up the rumple strips guess he should be black flagged also
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg6xB8OUA4w
    Last edited by Indyracer; 10.10.14 at 4:31 PM.

Liked: 23

Rumple strips or rumble strips? I am confused....

Liked: 43

The SVRA Competition Directors notes state the status of the white line.

Did the IMSA regulations state the same?

Each sanctioning body has its own regulations.

Aside from your spelling problem, are under the misapprehension that every sanctioning body has the same rules? If SVRA people are crossing the line and using the rumble strips you'd have to ask the Race Director why there's no penalty.

Drivers complaining and they are not crossing the inner most white line but are using up the rumple strips
    Here is a link of a pro's lap around cota, count how many times he used up the rumple strips guess he should be black flagged also
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg6xB8OUA4w
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

I dont care if I spelled it right or not what I am saying last year they were accused of illegal engines, now this year they are accused of being out of bounds,in 40 years of racing not once have I have heard of anyone going out-of-bounds on a racetrack that did had to give position back, they passed nobody maybe those that are complaining should pick up their game instead of accusing of rules infractions that do not excist.....hope I spelled everything right

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Hmmmm.... it seems per COTA that you can't pass while being over the first white line ? Seems reasonable. No pass. No fail. No black flag. Pass 'out-of-bounds' & black flag.

Inconsistent rules are the norm in racing. Best to check the Supps & Race Director beforehand ? Seems prudent ?

Are there no driver's meetings to help clarify ? Locally, the SCCA has no pre-race driver's meeting. Just a hand-out sheet at registration. Seems it's taken for granted that everyone is on the same page. My experience is that no matter what group activity you're in, someone is not.
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

No passing was ever done ....just quals

Who's complaining? Haven't seen anything here which begs the question: Why are you making an issue of this here?

I dont care if I spelled it right or not what I am saying last year they were accused of illegal engines, now this year they are accused of being out of bounds,in 40 years of racing not once have I have heard of anyone going out-of-bounds on a racetrack that did had to give position back, they passed nobody maybe those that are complaining should pick up their game instead of accusing of rules infractions that do not excist.....hope I spelled everything right
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Who's complaining? Haven't seen anything here which begs the question: Why are you making an issue of this here?
    Why dont you call down there and find out, remember last year the big issue with illegal engines now it is an issue with driving out of bounds

Seems you're the one all worked up about this.

Why dont you call down there and find out, remember last year the big issue with illegal engines now it is an issue with driving out of bounds
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Liked: 210

Heck. even Formula One is getting pickier about cars staying on the racing surface which means, inside the white lines. Four over in qualifications and you lose the lap time. Four over in a race and you better not gain a position nor serious distance. If you do, gotta give it back.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Seems you're the one all worked up about this.
    You would be worked up about it also if you won last years ff race and was called out by a certain competitor to be cheating with illegal engines and have to listen to his big mouth at every event you went to for a year and now this year being black flagged for out of bounds.....but all is good now that I have received an explanation, the group before us mustangs camaros etc were blowing the swithback corners and the s turns then just cutting across and returning to the track improving times and position so it was told to the corner workers to flag anyone on the rumple strips a few got over zealous...just seems kind of odd they would only pick out our 2 cars...this is what I was told second hand but does make sense..

Liked: 42

maybe it was like this?

freeze frame it, right at 0:23.5 secs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAw8mM1XV5o

would right side tires on / across the inside white line be out of bounds ?

or would left side tires on / across the outside white line be out of bounds ?

As an aside, I understand the F1 rule for 'four wheels across line,' pretty soon they would just be using all the paved runoff area.
    FFCoalition.com
    Marc Blanc

This is vintage racing?

I think the man drama at this year's SCCA Runoffs isn't this, um, intense.

You would be worked up about it also if you won last years ff race and was called out by a certain competitor to be cheating with illegal engines and have to listen to his big mouth at every event you went to for a year and now this year being black flagged for out of bounds.....but all is good now that I have received an explanation, the group before us mustangs camaros etc were blowing the swithback corners and the s turns then just cutting across and returning to the track improving times and position so it was told to the corner workers to flag anyone on the rumple strips a few got over zealous...just seems kind of odd they would only pick out our 2 cars...this is what I was told second hand but does make sense..
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

This is vintage racing?

I think the man drama at this year's SCCA Runoffs isn't this, um, intense.
    Are you down at COTA now cause if you are and watching Ryan and Wade race each it does not get much more intense then that, vintage or not.....

Liked: 605

1. you ask at ANY race track............so since this is a flatly phrased question the answer MUST be NO.

2. What? You're asking such a question in the first place?

3. It would do the rest of us well to learn WHY you are asking this question phrased in this way

4. Really

Quote Originally Posted by EYERACE View Post
    1. you ask at ANY race track............so since this is a flatly phrased question the answer MUST be NO.

2. What? You're asking such a question in the first place?

3. It would do the rest of us well to learn WHY you are asking this question phrased in this way

4. Really
    Issue has been resolved for us so we are good, the answer to all your questions was why was our 2 cars the only ones flaged because on the gopro never did either car have 4 over the line

Liked: 42

...........because on the gopro never did either car have 4 over the line
    Which line, (inside, or outside white line) ?

What corner was it in question ?
    and if in the esses, don't just say 'esses' get specific
    FFCoalition.com
    Marc Blanc

You mean vintage is getting to be just like all other forms of racing? Be careful what you wish for.

Are you down at COTA now cause if you are and watching Ryan and Wade race each it does not get much more intense then that, vintage or not.....
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Issue has been resolved. Sorry I brought it up and SVRA is a class act

Liked: 605

Thank you for a kind reply

Liked: 87

Default I remember when...

I remember when I took my driver school at Blackhawk Farms and my instructor told me " be cautious about the track out on turn 1, it has an 8 inch plus dirt drop off "....my answer was "no sh*t". We didn't need any white lines back then and if you dropped wheels ,you were on your own.
    My other driver school was Nelson Ledges, I remember thinking about all the places not to go off for fear of hitting a tree or two.
    White lines are for tennis. I knew there was a reason why Blackhawk or Nelson couldn't get an F1 race and I always thought it was because of their bathrooms...
    Last edited by mdwracer; 10.12.14 at 4:28 PM. Reason: sp

Thread Information