Liked: 0

I was at Blackhawk Farms as a spectator for the Saturday round of the FF/CFF East vs West Challenge. I don't yet have all the results to post, but here is what I can report:

I jogged the track at sunrise. The new paving is simply fabulous. It would have been much more fun to be out there in a Formula Ford than on Nikes....

A total of 22 Formula Ford 1600s practiced and/or raced on Saturday. It was great to see all the racers who are supporting the EWC. Many thanks to Scott Meland and all of our friends at Blackhawk Valley Region for rolling the red carpet out for the EWC.

Jim Nash won both FF races in his bright yellow Van Diemen RF98. Mark Kolell (Van Diemen RF85) finished second on Saturday and Dan Binks was Sunday's runner-up. Saturday's race was close, and Sunday's was even closer with margins of victory both days less than one second. I don't know yet which FF's were on the CENDIV Regional Championship spec tire.

Mark Blanc (Crossle 35F) won Saturday's CFF race ahead of Tom Tipsword (Van Diemen RF81). If Marc did not set a CFF lap record, he was very close to it. On Sunday, Michael Weyna (Van Diemen RF78) took the checker first followed by Paul Quiniff (Lola T540). I did not tell Paul at the time that the set of Hoosier R60CD tires I gave him Friday night were first mounted in 1997. Perhaps its better that he didn't know....

There were a few metal-to-metals on Saturday.

Ray Lecuyer rolled his Swift DB-1 towards the end of Saturday's first practice. Damage was pretty extensive: both front corners were removed and the rear corners were pretty bent up. Ray thinks the frame is OK and expects to be back at Road America in August.

Scott Hanba took the left front corner off his Euroswift SC93F early in Saturday's race.

Late in Saturday's race, Bill Bergeron's Van Diemen RF90 lost out with a bent left front push rod after some wheel banging.

There was a big crowd for Tom Andresen's tech talk on cylinder head maintenance. Tom and his assistant Tim Pecenka demonstrated the proper techniques to lap valves, check valve guides, clean ports, and adjust valve lash. Many thanks to Tom and Tim and also to Bruce Lindstrand for providing the shade under his awning and to Andy Graff for his Kent engine.

After the tech talk, the group photo for this year's EWC photo gallery poster was taken. If you have photos for the poster, please get them to me this week so that I can forward them along to John Luxon. The goal is to produce the posters in time to distribute them at Road America. Brad Ellingson: thanks for the zip files.

Full results and EWC driver/team points to follow. See everyone at Road America. How about 40 cars?

Steve Beeler
    Lola T-540 HU44
    home: (734)416-8865 thebeelers@peoplepc.com
    office: (313)390-1818 sbeeler@ford.com

Liked: 1

If Marc did not set a CFF lap record, he was very close to it
    OK Marc, did you break it or not? -Dave

Liked: 42

GGRRRR,

Ok, so after spending 20 mins writing an overly detailed description, then somehow losing it, I'll give you the short version.

15.825 Sat Qual #2 was a new Qualifying track record.

15.467 Sun Qual #2 was another new Qualifying track record.

I think Bill Bonow still holds CFF race record at like 15.1, that I didn't come close to in either race.

Great event, I'll post more details later.

Marc
    FFCoalition.com
    Marc Blanc

Liked: 190

Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Liked: 1

15.825 Sat Qual #2 was a new Qualifying track record.

15.467 Sun Qual #2 was another new Qualifying track record.
    Congratulations Marc!

I think Bill Bonow still holds CFF race record at like 15.1
    Anybody have a CFF I can borrow for a weekend?

Seriously, as a side note, does anyone know how the cornerworkers who were hit Saturday by a SRF are doing?

-Dave

[size="1"][ July 08, 2003, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: Dave Hopple ][/size]

Liked: 9

I am posting what I heard about the corner workers from someone who sought me out to tell me. I think she did it because I was wearing my Fire Rescue shirt, but here goes...One was back at the track on Sunday, apparently only a sprained ankle, another had to get stitches, and the third who was pinned between the wrecker and the "wrecker" had surgery saturday to repair a broken femur and to replace both knees. He was reported to have said that he had always wanted to ride on a helicopter..just not as a patient.

Having said all that, I am not sure how accurate that info is...just reporting what i was told. It did seem consistent with other rumors floating around though.

Congrats on the track record Marc!!! Too bad about the melt down on Sunday. Andy, see ya at RA.
    Currently Without Car

Liked: 0

There has to be a tremendous THANK YOU to go to Mr. Steve Beeler. He is a gentleman who selflessly devotes his time and effort into making a FF/CFF series a reality, and, his efforts and passion to the class and sport are rivaled by none.

Mister Beeler, you are a one-percenter. You didn't bring your car, you brought your apron, and, the right stuff to make the East West Challenge weekend at Blackhawk Farms Raceway a success, and that's class.

Thank you
    Thank you
    Thank you

Thread Information