Thread: Caldwell D13

Liked: 87

Default Caldwell D13

Now that Monoposto will let in the original D13's, has anyone put a fan shroud on one and put the tail section over top ? Seems many Vees were built that the rear bodywork had the minimum shape of the shroud by the rules, but if you wanted to install a shroud and bodywork it could never happen...

Thanks,
    Mike W

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

LOL on the Altoona and or Taylor-Stewart Vees that i ran against and owned in the late sixties and early seventies the chopped, channeled , and sectioned stock factory housings fit just fine!

Liked: 2

It should not be any problem, D-13's were originally designed to run with a fan shroud. I have been vintage racing a 1972 D-13 with a fan shroud since 1991 in RMVR. The car originally belonged to John VanDeCar. I also have a copy of the D-13 listing in the 1972 Autodynamics catalog. My bodywork is as original, (no side ducts on middle section, holes in the nose or side scoops in rear tail). The original tail section had a naca duct to vent air into the fan. The car also has a diaper to fit under the tail behind the engine and transmission. With the diaper the body meets the minimun length requirement. However, it is a few inches short without the diaper, so you would need to add a cap on the tail to lengthen it slightly. To me the diaper makes the car look sleek and I have been told its purpose was to minimize the drafting profile of the D-13. However, it is more of a small parachute hanging on the tail and they were quickly dispensed with. We have several D-13 running with a fan shroud in RMVR many with the later body panels described above. It should not be a problem installing a fan shroud regardless of the type of tail panel you have. If you have any problems, or if I can provide any assistance you can contact me at (303) 669-2002.
    Good Luck
    Bob

Liked: 17

Default D13 Diaper

Can you post pics of the Diaper?

From my logbook, this tail has no naca duct and has an extenssion so I can run without the diaper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D13 diaper.jpg 
Views:	539 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	50851  

Liked: 17

Default D13

Thanks for the pic. Do you know if this was a factory option or aftermarket. Also: not to side track this link but do you know what the difference was between the standard D13 and the D13s?

I believe the diaper was a factory original design, especially since it was required to make minimun length. But most racers dumped the diaper and just added an extension. You can see the line where the extension is added in the picture. It is my understanding the D-13S is a later model D-13. From what I could tell visually it basically has a lower body design. I believe by the time the S was out the requirement for fan shrouds had been eliminated and they were trying to give the car a more areodynamic body. T

Liked: 6

I have a Caldwell D13 for sale on here on apexspeed. Although the body work currently on it is newer, I still have the original body work.

Default Complete Shroud, etc...

I run my D13 in the VRG with the fan shroud setup, no worries! As indicated you will have plenty of choices as to configurations and I have had no overheat issues.

--- Christopher Shoemaker

Liked: 87

Default D 13S

To my knowledge, the D13S had a lower main roll hoop? and was even more of a lay down car than a standard D13. I remember people saying you had to be very short to fit in one... I'm 6'0"and I am too tall for a standard D13!!!

Mike Winebrenner

Original 1976 D13 family owned since new

Liked: 174

Both of my std. D-13'a ( 76' & 80") had the extended roll hoop and even with that I was barely
    under the rollbar.

Liked: 22

Default ???

You need to find a real FV shop! veesportracing.com

I was 6" 130 lbs, and a fit perfect in a D-13 prepped by veesport !!!!

Andy Pastore in a D-13...

In that car Andy was untouchable in the NER... and only a few seconds behind Roger at National NER!

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information