Contributing Member Andrew Stein's Avatar
    Liked: 29

Default Hewland Mk. 6 bevel washers

I'm putting a new crown wheel & pinion in my Mk. 6 Hewland and am being told to consider changing out the transmission in the future because the differential parts are obsolete. I've located new differential gears and cross pin, but am unable to find the bevel washers for spider gears. John Grubb, who is working on the box, is checking with people he knows in the UK, but isn't optimistic about finding these washers. TRE said to call them on Monday to see if the size matches up with the later Mk. 9 bevel washers, but I can't believe it would be the same as the gears are different. On the TRE/Hewland diagram the washers are identified as part B18. Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Andrew

Liked: 79

Can you post a picture of the diff?
    Williams Racing Developments Inc
    704 658 0940 www.willrace.com

WE HAVE MOVED...... 503 Performance Road, Mooresville, NC, 28115

Liked: 123

MK6 is about identical to MK4 and would have VW ring and pinion with an early Ford Zephyr differential.

Brian

Default Zephyr gears & photo ID

Yes, Zephyr gears are what I've been told, but I still don't see any availability on the bevel washers. I'll post a photo tomorrow.

The diff. was reassembled over the weekend, but here is the photo of the assembled gears. Can't find any Zephyr/Consul people so far that are involved in these parts.

Liked: 123

Are the parts trash, or are you replacing them proactively? I have literally never rebuilt the spider gear section of a diff, except for an old chevy truck. Even then I just installed a limited slip diff...

You can get washers made by a competent machine shop who understands heat treat and such... It's hard to get a less complicated part than a washer!

Brian

Liked: 79

I'm pretty certain we have some of those washers on the shelf, If you could confirm the diameter of the cross pin I can verify, we have 2 sizes available for the early and late diff gears, Looks to me like you have the early.

Talk soon,

Lee
    Williams Racing Developments Inc
    704 658 0940 www.willrace.com

WE HAVE MOVED...... 503 Performance Road, Mooresville, NC, 28115

Liked: 3

Default Washers

Did you find any?
    I have a busted diff but I think the washers are good.

Liked: 35

Andrew
    You can identify the difference between the early and late diff by the side gears.
    Early style diffs will have a flat side gear and you can identify that with a flat steel washer under the side gear. The later diffs used a spherical side gear , These will have a white colored washer under the gear. The cross pin diameter on the early style diff is .622 OD while the late version will be .701 OD . We make four different thicknesses on the spider washers . the standard size will be .032 . Th other sizes will be .025 / .020 and .015 ,
    Scotty
    Est. 1990
    Taylor Race Engineering

Thread Information