Liked: 0

Default Removing rotors from rear uprights

Hello there folks. I am in mid restoration of my Ensign LNF3. I am about to send out parts for crack checking. I must be dumb as for the life of me I cannot seem to remove the rotors (and stub axles) from my rear uprights. The front face of the rotor has a round plate to which the wheel studs pass through and then are captured by the rotor. It appears that there isnt a way to remove rotors with the uprights on the car which seems strange to me.

It looks to me like a press job from the rear to press out the stub axle. But since these uprights are pretty much unobtainium I want to be sure of what I am doing before I put these in a press.

Any help is appreciated!

Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	195.2 KB 
ID:	46491   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	177.3 KB 
ID:	46492  

Liked: 2

Default uprights

Looks to be the Same design as brabham/chevron. I like to Fab. a fixture that bolts to the Upright using as many bolt holes as possable and in the fixture is a screw jack to push the axle out. You might try heating the upright up with a elect. heat gun and have someone hold the upright while you use a copper /lead hammer to tap on the axle. You might get lucky.

good luck

Liked: 0

The fixture idea is a good one thank you.

One additional piece of information. the round disc to which attaches to the rotor with the wheel studs has a hole and a setscrew in the middle. The screw just spins on both left and right uprights so I am not quite sure what it is supposed to do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	46493  

Liked: 123

In theory you heat the outer bearing housing part of the upright with a propane torch and the bearing and stub axle fall out. Then you can press the stub axle off the bearing (or pull the bearing off the stub axle depending on your point of view). I try to never to that unless I have new bearings in hand.

Brian

Thread Information