Liked: 7

Default Blackhawk Majors, May 3/4

It's almost time. Just checking-in to see who is or isn't planning to make the season opener at Blackhawk. I'm in.

Liked: 10

Keith and I will be there.
    Dale Carter
    2003 VanDiemen FE #29
    Life is Good

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 33

Alliance Autosport will be there with Scott Rettich in FE.

Liked: 25

Race Groups

Group 1 SM
    Group 2 SRF
    Group 3 FP,HP,GTL,T3,T4,STU,STL, B-Spec
    Group 4 FV,F5,FF
    Group 5 FC,FE,FM,FB,FA,P1,P2
    Group 6 EP,AS,T1,T2,GT1,GT2,GT3

Practice Schedule

8:10 AM 20 min Practice Groups 1&2
    8:40 AM 20 min Practice Groups 3&6
    9:10 AM 20 min Practice Groups 4&5

Formula cars and Sports Racers with EP,AS,T1,T2,GT1,GT2,GT3 ????????
    Dave

Liked: 202

Quote Originally Posted by Tifosi View Post
    Race Groups

Group 1 SM
    Group 2 SRF
    Group 3 FP,HP,GTL,T3,T4,STU,STL, B-Spec
    Group 4 FV,F5,FF
    Group 5 FC,FE,FM,FB,FA,P1,P2
    Group 6 EP,AS,T1,T2,GT1,GT2,GT3

Practice Schedule

8:10 AM 20 min Practice Groups 1&2
    8:40 AM 20 min Practice Groups 3&6
    9:10 AM 20 min Practice Groups 4&5

Formula cars and Sports Racers with EP,AS,T1,T2,GT1,GT2,GT3 ????????
    Although the Supps don't indicate it, if enough people pre-register there's also a seven group schedule that can be implemented - drop the combined-group practice sessions to qualify and race on Saturday, then hardship warm-ups and race on Sunday.
    Butch Kummer
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Oops
    Last edited by Tifosi; 03.28.14 at 4:52 PM. Reason: Misread schedule
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Tifosi View Post
    How much more does a GT1 car weigh than a FB?
    About 2000 pounds, but since GT1 cars (in Group 6) will be out with the Group 3 cars they won't be on the track at the same time as the FB cars! If there are combined practice sessions, the Group 4 cars will be out with Group 5.

Also please read the Supps about the purpose of the combined-group practice sessions. They are intended to allow people to learn the track, bed brake pads, and/or scuff tires (it also allows T&S to resolve any transponder issues that might arise due to incomplete/incorrect information on the entry forms). They are not being timed, so I expect a significant percentage of the drivers will not even go out.

Again, all that goes out the window if enough people sign up and the seven-group schedule is adopted.

Reeding compreheshun skillz are vastly overrated...
    Butch Kummer

Sorry. I misread the schedule. It happens now and then. Please excuse me. The schedule still sucks.
    Dave

Drivers have voted overwhelmingly with their checkbooks that they want double race weekends. They have also NOT supported events where some of their buddies are not invited to play. I/we are open to suggestions on how to get two races (with at least one qualifying session for the first race) for twenty-seven classes into a two-day time frame.
    Butch Kummer

Two days are why it sucks.
    Dave

Liked: 447

Forgive me if I'm wrong since I haven't been paying too close attention to the whole Major's thing, but I thought one of the real main attractions of the Majors was supposed to be the restriction of the whole "alphabet soup" car groupings. It doesn't seem too appealing to me as it looks for the price tag of a Majors. Personally I could care less if another class showed or not so I don't necessarily understand those not supporting events where their buddies aren't invited to play. Could those particular events have had some other factor contribute to the low attendance?
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Przyborowski View Post
    It's almost time. Just checking-in to see who is or isn't planning to make the season opener at Blackhawk. I'm in.
    Carl, Dave, & Steve,

Does One Formula have a realistic car tally of who is coming with your caravan? No speculative entries, just people who are seriously planning on attending.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Liked: 218

Keith, Its still tax season, so I don't know anything but my tax program sucks this year! (And my mechanic has trouble reading the schedule!! ) Carl is in and Steve is bringing me his car this weekend, so I'm pretty sure he's running. Mat is doubtful, Denny is hopeful and Marshall is bashful (pretty sure that's the first time he's ever been called that!).

New car owners nearby include Kent Lehr and Jeff Fritz. Jeff is running the April event and hopes to run in May. I believe Kent was planning on coming as well.
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

I also see where Andrew List is racing in St Pete in USF2000. He has a new FE and I was thinking he was coming to these races, but obviously he's also got a USF2000 car/ride so I'm not sure of his intentions with the FE. If you know of any great weight loss/body building programs I can do while tied to my computer for the next three weeks, let me know and maybe I'll dust off a car and come as well. I happen to know of an orange one that's got some special "spec" tweaks that we were testing for Enterprises that would be fun to run!
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

Regarding the schedule, I thought this race might be made a three day event, as its historically well subscribed and without a second race at Blackhawk of significance I would imagine there will be plenty of entries. I am assuming the 7th Group that Butch is talking about would be to split the FE,FC, FM and P2 cars out of Group 5, but I don't know that for sure. Be like a Chicago voter and enter early and often!
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

Liked: 4

IMHO, if it's a 2 day event, it can be a double or a major, but not both.
    #45 FE - Personal twitter: @AOERacing
    RaceTimer+ and business twitter:@Epipiphero

Totally agree Evl.... It should be a "special" event and not a "jam as much as you can no matter how much carnage it may cause" event. Those aren't much fun in my opinion to piss the expense of the weekend away in mixed class jammed races. I would gladly sacrifice log jammed track time for less track time that had less congestion.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Waited to respond so I could look at actual numbers for this event since 2010:

. 2010 - Double National, 3 days, 7 groups, 194 entries
    . 2011 - Double National, 3 days, 8 groups, 182 entries
    . 2012 - Single National, 2 days, 8 groups, 165 entries
    . 2013 - "National & a Half", 2 days, 8 groups (4 got two races), 124 entries

Even at 200 entries it's tough to break even financially with the extra day (see the Frog's calculations on what a weekend really costs).

The "National & a Half" concept was invented by CENDiv leadership because (in addition to being half-again the cost) the three-day events are difficult to staff in your part of the country. Even with that program, however, participation numbers in 2013 continued their downward trend.

Besides wanting double race weekends, drivers have told us in both written and verbal surveys that they prefer racing to "driving around real fast". Therefore the Majors concept removed the "70 minutes of practice/qualifying" requirement for a Double National and we developed a number of "Qualify/Race/Race" schedules that can be used. Based on the past two years' attendance, BHV-Milw leadership chose a six-group schedule with the option of going to a seven-group schedule if entry numbers are sufficient.

So far in 2014 participation numbers are up despite the loss of practice/qualifying time (some of which many drivers didn't use anyway). The fixed-time "sprint" races has taken some time to get used to, but for some run groups (like FC/FE/FM/P2 at Road Atlanta) you can get more laps in the fixed-time race than you can in a 45-mile "National" race.
    Butch Kummer

Liked: 68

OK, Steve....bashful?

Not sure if I'll make BHF, due to scheduling. Holding time out on the calendar for the Sprints, but even that is becoming tough to make work.

If it wasn't for trying to make a living......
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

The chaos isn't too bad yet with only two FA's entered one FC. Half of the field so far will be wide fendered things.

Entered so far:

Oppermann
    Przyborowski
    Rettich

All for Rettich having a 250 lb weight penalty say "I".
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 33

Not sure about 250, but the wife and I are hitting the buffets pretty hard here in Vegas.

Keep eating! You'll fill out one of those Elvis jump suits in no time!
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Looks like FE has the bulk of the field now at 6 cars.

Grundahl
    Carter
    Lehr
    Oppermann
    Przyborowski
    Rettich
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Liked: 16

Ill be there in FE (got a car from Steve over the winter) and looking forward to it!

-- Kent Lehr

Sorry guys, but I'm not going to be able to make it for this one. Looks like the Sprints will be my shakedown outing for the new car - see you there!
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Welcome to the group, Kent! We'll see you in a week or so!

It's too bad that you (Marshall) and Mat can't make it out for this first one to have FE show up in force to help decide the groupings a bit more. At 6 cars, we'll have the meat of the group still though.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Liked: 16

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Carter View Post
    Welcome to the group, Kent! We'll see you in a week or so!

It's too bad that you (Marshall) and Mat can't make it out for this first one to have FE show up in force to help decide the groupings a bit more. At 6 cars, we'll have the meat of the group still though.
    Thanks, Keith! Looking forward to meeting everyone....and knowing I have a lot to learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Carter View Post
    It's too bad that you (Marshall) and Mat can't make it out for this first one to have FE show up in force to help decide the groupings a bit more.
    Wish I could, but I have a family event that weekend that I can't skip out on. I also still don't have my license renewal back from SCCA yet......

Sprints looks good, though. Hopefully we can get the family up into Wisconsin for an extended summer stay and fit it around a few races.
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Liked: 3

Gonna be there as pit crew for my son Kent. Was thinking about renting a SM for the weekend but figured Kent will need quite a bit of support for his first race weekend in a new car.

We've got a lot to learn but can't wait! Graduating from 125 shifter and several years of SM...

After some discussion on it between my dad and I, we're going to skip this weekend guys. Have fun out there and be safe.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Liked: 10

Keith, Sure I just signed up and your now skipping the event. Are you trying to tell me something . With 7 cars now this should be a good event.

Mat

Awwe man! My dad thinks he's getting sick and the weather isn't looking too great for camping so we're going to skip it. We have no plans to do the Runoffs so we're not under any kind of "must race" situation. We need to be able to enjoy ourselves at the track while we're having fun racing. It doesn't help matters much when we're sharing such a tight track with a lot of other classes even though at this point, there aren't too many other formula cars to get into the mix with. Just need to watch out for the big X-SR cars. Hopefully you guys will get a split start.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Fair weather campers! I thought you had a nice generator. I'll bring you a nice quiet electric heater! Just the fact that they paved the impound area front and back I thought you'd make it.
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

Quote Originally Posted by MAC Racing View Post
    Keith, Sure I just signed up and your now skipping the event. Are you trying to tell me something . With 7 cars now this should be a good event.
    Awww, crap. I'm missing all the fun, aren't I....

Keith, we'll have to make the Sprints do for our re-match. You do realize that I'm hoping for rain, right? Hope your dad's not feeling too bad...
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Liked: 3

Great weekend with the new car and we missed the rain on Sunday by just a few miles!!

Great group of guys to pit with from One Formula- thanks to Steve, Dave and the crew for all the advice and help.

Only one minor incident and luckily missed the incident on the first turn of the first race on Saturday!!

Now we wish we'd penciled in the Sprints- gonna do Newton (Iowa Speedway) the week before since it's close to home and our own beds!!

Looking forward to Cat Nationals in July at RA!!

Thread Information