Liked: 3

Default Help with steering rack parts

So I seem to have misplaced (ok, I lost them) the aluminum split blocks that hold the steering rack to the chassis. 1 inch diameter hole for the steering rack and the two 1/4 inch bolt holes that bolt to the chassis are 2 inches center to center. Are there a source for these??

Mike Summers
    LeGrand MK10

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1488

highly unlikely. post the rest of the critical dimensions here and you might get lucky.

should take a good machinist less than 2 hrs to knock 'em out.

Liked: 49

Yes just make them I made ours for our march

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Bridgeport and a lathe with a 4 jaw chuck is all that is needed.

Oh and a saw to split them BEFORE boring them.

Any machinist that is at all competend can make them.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1488

If neither precision nor beauty is a requirement, then these can be made with nothing more than bar stock, a drill press, a hole saw or spade drill, and a band saw (even a saws all would work).

Bar stock should be the correct width and thickness. cut two blocks to length (using the finished ends of the bar stock to make things easy)

Drill the two mounting holes in each piece in a drill press. Holding the parts perfectly vertical in both planes is a must.

Drill the 1" hole with either a hold saw or a spade (forstner) bit. I've used both. a good spade bit will cut the aluminum just fine.

slice the pieces into halves with the band saw or saws all. The kerf on the blade will give you room to "squeeze" the rack a tad. Less squeeze needed? put an AN thin washer in-between one side of the halves.

I've made a bunch of stuff like this, including ARB mounts. If you have a belt sander and a polisher you'll be surprised at how nice you can make this stuff look.

Thread Information