Liked: 58

Default RMVA August Kids Cancer Race FF

Thinking about timing a trip to Colorado from Seattle to include the August 1st vintage race at High Plains. I saw 40+ ff cars entered last year - should be so again? I have a Titan MK6 with iron head,steel shocks and Dunlops,and a Crossle 32 with alu head,steel shocks and Dunlops. Both are ok? Suggested gearing? Test day? Any info appreciated.

Contributing Member charleswdaniels63's Avatar
    Liked: 20

Bob--

I am not one of the organizers or honchos, but I always come up from Albuquerque for this race. I would be surprised if we didn't see around 40 FFs of various vintages for this show--That is what has been the norm for the RAKC weekend in recent years, and the RMVR FF field is growing, in addition to the out of state cars that come. Both your cars will be fine. There will be Monoposto FFs, aluminum head CFs, and even new Swifts and Pipers and such. It is pretty open. There is usually a track day on Friday for optional practice, but you can check the HPR calendar to confirm that.

Charlie (not the fiddler) Daniels

Contributing Member charleswdaniels63's Avatar
    Liked: 20

Here are some gear suggestions

Final drive: 1.833, 1.500, 1.273, 1.25
    (9:31 ring and pinion) 18:32, 21:30, 23:29, 25:27
    (10:31 ring and pinion) 17:34, 19:31, 22:30, 21:25

Contributing Member Robert J. Alder's Avatar
    Liked: 301

Charlie is spot on. I'm the co-chair of the event. Your cars will be welcome. For this a fund raising charitable event and FF is the featured grid for the weekend. All FFs are welcome, (even a contemporary Honda Formula F). We'll have three classes for scoring: Vintage FFs basically the traditional vintage FFs thru '72 on treaded Dunlop or Avon FF tires, CF using Monoposto CF rules but with either the SCCA American Racers or the vintage Dunlop or Avon, and a MF class (all newer FFs) on whatever tires.

More info:
    http://rmvr.com/event/2015-race-against-kids-cancer/

Or call me - 303.981-6364 or email r.alder@earthlink.net
    Bob Alder, fellow Titan MK-6 racer

Contributing Member racingflyboy's Avatar
    Liked: 71

You absolutely want to attend this event. The past two years we towed from Minnesota for it, and I was glad we did. (We now live in CO, but would have made the long tow again this year!) RMVR's are a great group of people, High Plains Raceway is a blast to drive - seems every corner is either blind, off camber, or decreasing radius, or all of the above, leading to some very fun racing. Where else can you drive "to Hell on a Bobsled"? And, maybe the best thing about this event, it doesn't matter where you finish, the Winners are the kids who benefit from the research money raised by this!. Did I mention the Grid Girls? Hopefully they'll be back. Where else can a bunch of old guys get pretty young ladies to hold an umbrella over their car while on grid for a mere $25(?) donation? (tax deductible no less!) Plus, your friends just might get to "buy" a lunchtime ride around the track "at speed". I think 2014 saw 44 FF's of various generations. So come on out to Colorful Colorado, you'll be glad you did.

And you might want to check out the practice day Friday prior. It's very inexpensive, and this track takes a few laps to figure out. (I'm still working on that!)

Steve
    Steve Barkley
    1969 Palliser-Winkelmann WDF1 FF1600

Thread Information