I was talking to Perry Simmonds who has built one the neatest new BM cars in the country. They move solo cars for sale to the GENERAL classified section now.
That's not exactly where I would go to look for a solo car.
So, here is a link to his ad:
http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60897

Perry is an aviation mechanic and really knows what he is doing, but I feel he is overly modest about his labor input to this project.
He listed 25k invested and told me that was hard parts ONLY and did not include his labor.

My own BM car took me 7 years to build on 3 day weekends and many entire weeklong vacations from work. I paid for shop facilities (not labor cost) on most of that because I did about 90% of the work , but I then I also paid full labor for a lot of welding and machining that I could not do myself.

Anyway, here's an estimate of just the labor that what I think it takes to build a car like this. I assume someone gets a large project lower "bulk buy" rate for labor since $80/hr. is probably low for almost anywhere in the country these days.

700 x $80/hr. is $56k labor costs.

Conclusion: I think Perry's car really represents an investment equal to about $81k.
and that corresponds with what I know about my own project and a few others as well.

-Chuck