Liked: 0

Default COAT Austin Gearing

Anyone have any suggestions on gear set up for a FF-2 at Austin's track I have a race at the end of October and have no idea where to start.

Mike

Liked: 35

Default COTA FF Gears

Mike,

I'm crew chief for the Lotus 79 Formula One car driven by Doc Bundy in the Historic Grand Prix series. We were lucky enough to be asked to join the Lotus F1 team for the grand opening of COTA in October of last year. We had the car on the track for than event with Doc and Mario Andretti each having a turn at the wheel. Then we ran the HGP support race at the Grand Prix. We also run some Formula Fords, so I believe I can help you with gears. COTA is a very fast track and will let you use the highest fourth gear your engine will pull. Additionally, the turn at the top of the front straightaway hill will be tight for anyone having to protect his line. If you are by yourself there, you can use a wide approach and keep your RPM up thereby using a slightly taller first gear. With those conditions in mind, here are the ratios I have calculated for differing types of Formula Fords:

For early cars which are a little dirty aerodynamically with Dunlop 9092 tires:
    1st -- 18/32
    2nd -- 21/29
    3rd -- 24/28
    4th -- 25/26
    If you cannot pull 6800 RPM on the back straight with this fourth gear, try a 25/27 or a 24/26.

For later cars which use slicks and are aerodynamically slippery with a strong engine:
    1st -- 18/32
    2nd -- 22/29
    3rd -- 24/26
    4th -- 26/25
    If you do not have enough engine to reach 6800 with this type car, use a 25/25 top gear.

Since SVRA requires the use of the Dunlop tire to be scored, some later slippery cars will use the treaded Dunlop tire. (A Swift on a treaded tire? Arrgh!) Gearing for these cars is:
    1st -- 18/33
    2nd -- 22/30
    3rd -- 24/27
    4th -- 25/25

Please bear in mind that no one has run a Formula Ford on this track yet. I seem to have more experience selecting gears for it than most and these are my best educated guesses. They should be close, but like everyone else, I may have to re-gear, too.

Robert Metcalf
    Metcalf Racing
    metcalfracingcom
    972-494-3434 office
    214-298-9837 cell

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 10

Quote Originally Posted by true racer View Post
    Mike,

I'm crew chief for the Lotus 79 Formula One car driven by Doc Bundy in the Historic Grand Prix series. We were lucky enough to be asked to join the Lotus F1 team for the grand opening of COTA in October of last year. We had the car on the track for than event with Doc and Mario Andretti each having a turn at the wheel. Then we ran the HGP support race at the Grand Prix. We also run some Formula Fords, so I believe I can help you with gears. COTA is a very fast track and will let you use the highest fourth gear your engine will pull. Additionally, the turn at the top of the front straightaway hill will be tight for anyone having to protect his line. If you are by yourself there, you can use a wide approach and keep your RPM up thereby using a slightly taller first gear. With those conditions in mind, here are the ratios I have calculated for differing types of Formula Fords:

For early cars which are a little dirty aerodynamically with Dunlop 9092 tires:
    1st -- 18/32
    2nd -- 21/29
    3rd -- 24/28
    4th -- 25/26
    If you cannot pull 6800 RPM on the back straight with this fourth gear, try a 25/27 or a 24/26.

For later cars which use slicks and are aerodynamically slippery with a strong engine:
    1st -- 18/32
    2nd -- 22/29
    3rd -- 24/26
    4th -- 26/25
    If you do not have enough engine to reach 6800 with this type car, use a 25/25 top gear.

Since SVRA requires the use of the Dunlop tire to be scored, some later slippery cars will use the treaded Dunlop tire. (A Swift on a treaded tire? Arrgh!) Gearing for these cars is:
    1st -- 18/33
    2nd -- 22/30
    3rd -- 24/27
    4th -- 25/25

Please bear in mind that no one has run a Formula Ford on this track yet. I seem to have more experience selecting gears for it than most and these are my best educated guesses. They should be close, but like everyone else, I may have to re-gear, too.

Robert Metcalf
    Metcalf Racing
    metcalfracingcom
    972-494-3434 office
    214-298-9837 cell
    Which R&P ratio do these assume?

Thanks!

Dick

Liked: 35

Default COTA FF Gearing

Sorry for the oversight. These gears are for the more common 9/31 CWP.

Robert Metcalf
    Metcalf Racing
    metcalfracing.com
    972-494-3434 office
    214-298-9837 cell

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4353

We ran the Majors event there and found it one of our average tracks for top gear but very short in the lower gears. We ran the same top gear as we use at Sebring, Summit Point, and Lime Rock.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 0

Default COAT Gearing

Whoa, many thanks!

Mike

Liked: 11

Thanks so much Robert for taking the time to do this and share it.

Pen Pendleton

Thread Information