Liked: 64

Default Club ford friendly groups?

Hi don't know much about the vintage race groups. What series are friendly to Club Fords on the east coast? Hi have a Merlyn Mk-025 and an Eagle club ford. I would rather run slicks than the threaded tires? Any thoughts?
    Thanks Wes Allen

Contributing Member Robert J. Alder's Avatar
    Liked: 301

Wes,

RMVR (unfortunately not in your area) would welcome a club ford with slicks.

So, check with the vintage clubs in your area. Here's a link to the Vintage Motorsports Council website . Visit their Member Organization page which has links to clubs (and which track they often run) in your area and links to the respective clubs where you can read about or inquire about their rules for CF, tires, etc.

Alas, not all vintage clubs use the same eligibility rules as they are all independent organizations, each with a different view on such things. But many now welcome CFs.

Liked: 8

Default CF friendly groups

Hi
    I can give high marks to VRG for their treatment of CF owners.
    Their President Bill Hollingsworth is a CF driver and the events I've been at are reasonably attended.
    Certainly better then most of the SCCA events here in the NE.
    If you are set on running slicks then that would be a deal breaker as you are required to run Dunlop treaded with this group.
    I prefer them to slicks for alot of reasons and I've run Hoosier R60 and GY 600's when they were still available.
    In fact if I do any SCCA regionals I will stay on the Dunlops as they are allowed under NARRC CF rules.
    Regards,

Greg Kokolus
    PRS RH-01

Contributing Member Jonathan Hirst's Avatar
    Liked: 4

Are there any VRG events with traditionally higher CF entries? I last ran my CF with them in 2006 at Beaver Run and it was a great time.

Looking forward to 2014 to formulate a 2-3 event schedule with some like minded CF drivers and hit some good events over the course of the season.

I thought the VRG group was a good place to start but as I say, I haven't run with them for many years so maybe someone can comment.

Jonathan
    ---------------------------------
    Ferret Industries Archival site
    Ferret Industries on Facebook
    Basement Bookshelf FF/CF Scanned article Archive

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 160

I just started running a Crossle 45F with the VRG. I have not raced a Formula Ford in about 10 years. My first event was at the Jefferson 500 at Summit Point. There were 18 Formula Fords on the grid. Some were pre 1972 cars; many were Club Fords, all were on treaded tires. It was a blast! A great group of people...well run event...plenty of track time...good value compared to some other vintage groups....I highly recommend the VRG. I plan to run the NJMP event on the third weekend of September. I hope you will consider joining us.

Cheers, Joe

P.S here is some video of the race: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_xG9_r1kLs

Contributing Member
    Liked: 1

FRCCA: http://www.formularacecarclubofamerica.com/

Good value, good people, no politics!!!

Don't get hung up on their "club" classes vs. everything else. Their F/1600 is basically club ford but with 2 extra safety structures and a spec (slick) tire. The tire actually evens the playing field btw. inboard & outboard suspensions. But you don't have to run that class - you can run your car under general SCCA club ford rules with whatever tires you bring. All the Fords & 1600s run as a group so there will be folks to race.
    You don't even need their license to run (you do need one from another club - call for details).
    Good luck, John Bachmann

Liked: 313

Wes, why are you looking any further than GLDiv with Phil and me? We'll be at MO Labor Day weekend and are planning to go to Summit Pt. to race the east coast guys the first weekend of October.

Liked: 64

Hey Dave, you'll see me next weekend at Mid Ohio. We're bringing the new Piper Honda up for more chassis development work. Plus we need more time on the engine to break it in better. I'm looking at options, you guys are fun to race with and great competitors. We can talk more about it then.

Liked: 18

Default Best C/F racing

If you want to feel welcomed and race against many competitors call the original Club Ford people at FRCCA. Many Club Fords, mostly with the FRCCA regulations but many other region types also race. Call Andy at 201-665-8682. ENJOY the THRILL of racing WITHOUT the agony of expense! For sure.

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by pooch776 View Post
    I just started running a Crossle 45F with the VRG. I have not raced a Formula Ford in about 10 years. My first event was at the Jefferson 500 at Summit Point. There were 18 Formula Fords on the grid. Some were pre 1972 cars; many were Club Fords, all were on treaded tires. It was a blast! A great group of people...well run event...plenty of track time...good value compared to some other vintage groups....I highly recommend the VRG. I plan to run the NJMP event on the third weekend of September. I hope you will consider joining us.

Cheers, Joe

P.S here is some video of the race: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_xG9_r1kLs
    Now that's some good racin right there. That's the way SCCA "should" be.

Contributing Member Robert J. Alder's Avatar
    Liked: 301

Not to brag or nuttin' (Well, maybe brag a little bit) RMVR had a fantastic "Celebration of 45 Years of Formula Ford" July 27-28 in Colorado. We had 39 FFs registered, including some invited contemporary FFs. Here's a story on that charity weekend. which included the FF feature. Scroll down to see the neat group FF photo.

And the Umbrella Girls sure weren't bad either!!!!

Moral: Vintage FF/CF racing is cool. we do have fun.

Thread Information