Liked: 1

Default Converting M2 Mysterian to FST any advice?

Getting started on the conversion from Vee to FST, can anyone offer any advice, do's and don'ts etc.?

Liked: 88

Default Mysterian conversion

Contact Robert Guhde. Robert and Doug Seim have done a very successful Mysterian conversion. Robert is a regular poster on Apex and I am sure he would be willing to share what they have learned over the years.

I appreciate the info, I'll look them both up.
    Phil

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4349

Most converters under-estimate the head-cooling requirements. Throw away those nice tidy M2 scoops and be very aggressive with some big mother scoops. You can always tune down the scoop size later.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 67

Here is a 20+ page guide.

http://www.formula-first.org/Technic...Jan%202012.pdf

There is some other tech information at formula-first.org

Jim

Liked: 151

Default m2 conversion

Phil check your PM

I can't thank you all enough! I think we're nearing the end of our "research" phase and just about ready to start getting our hands dirty. I'm sure I'll be in touch to pick all your brains here and there throughout the conversion. Thanks again and I'll try to keep the conversion updated here.
    Phil

Liked: 29

I'd be interested to see how your project goes, I've got an M2 as well. So curious what it would take. Hope you can post some pictures.
    Reinventing the world, one wheel at a time.

Liked: 151

Default converting the simple way

Done the simplest way the Mysterian is a great FST conversion and it’s very easy to do. I’ve been told Mysterian’s are not all the same-- some have more room in the cockpit and some have more engine compartment room. So if you fit in the cockpit you are almost home free. If you can use Bill Bonow’s “Slim Jim” dry sump tank in your engine compartment you are in real luck. If you can’t squeeze anything in then you’ll need to add two inches to the 2x4 rails in the engine compartment. This is pretty straightforward and only means that you might have to add compensating length to the shift tube and maybe a bit of brake line.

You might need to fool around with beam mounting and rack mounting but that’s not insurmountable. Remember a lot of drivers want a quality rack for the “steering feel” but you can still just use the VW steering box thus making the conversion even simpler.
    The standard Mysterian body fits just fine and you can buy a set of Jim Nash’s proven vertical cooling scoops and you are ready to go. If you desire you can replace the old M2 body with the newer raised nose M5 body for only a modest amount of money and effort.

FYI when I was doing the M5.1 I went a much more complicated route so it took much longer.
    Last edited by rgu; 08.16.13 at 1:39 PM. Reason: spacing

Liked: 29

Default Jim Nash

How can I get in touch with Jim Nash?
    Reinventing the world, one wheel at a time.

Liked: 303

Thread Information