Liked: 9

Default Any review of the Pertronix 600 Digital Rev Limiter

I am considering adding this to my car. I have a Pertronix ignition. Is it a good solution to control over revving in 2nd(forcing me to shift)? I presume it will not help with downshift over revving. Thanks in advance for the help.
    Mark
    1990 Van Diemen, the Racing Machine, CM AutoX, 2016 Frontier
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

Liked: 3

Mark, that's the rev limiter I installed on my car, although some folks have had problems with the Pertronix.. At the time I decided I wanted a rev limiter, it was on sale for (edit: it was $125/shipped) on amazon, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Anyhow, it is working fine, so far. Search "rev limiter" for more info.

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by mwizard View Post
    I am considering adding this to my car. I have a Pertronix ignition. Is it a good solution to control over revving in 2nd(forcing me to shift)? I presume it will not help with downshift over revving. Thanks in advance for the help.
    Mark
    I ran one on mine all last year with out a problem.

I ordered one from JEGS.
    Mark
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

I got the rev limiter. How does this "black box" work? I just hook it up to both sides of the coil and it somehow kills the spark?
    Mark

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by mwizard View Post
    I got the rev limiter. How does this "black box" work? I just hook it up to both sides of the coil and it somehow kills the spark?
    Mark
    One wire goes to ground the other two to the + and - on the coil.

Quote Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
    One wire goes to ground the other two to the + and - on the coil.
    Yes, that is how I hooked it up. What I want to know is how does it "steal"(the manufacturers term) spark.
    I drove with it installed on Sat and since it was mostly a 3rd gear course and way too busy to be checking things out, I don't know if it works.
    Mark

Liked: 304

What I want to know is how does it "steal"(the manufacturers term) spark.
    Given the connections (+Vdc, coil -, and ground), it steals the spark by selectively grounding the coil negative side when the rpm is > than the setting. Grounding the neg side of the coil will keep the coil current flowing and not allow the plugs to fire. Apparently the logic of the control unit is configured to "steal" only some of the time...

I've never used one, it's just the connections only allow for the "spark stealing" to occur one way.

Default pertronix

I am on my second one. The first one worked fine but when I installed solid copper wires it made my engine misfire. Make sure you use resistor wires.

Thread Information