Liked: 2

Default New NER F500 Driver

Morning gang,

As Bruce said, I quit lurking and bought his (ex-Ed's/ex-Marshall's) Red Devil to race in New England. I know just about nothing about Rotax's and snowmobile clutches, but I think its an interesting setup, and I can swing a wrench or two in the garage.

This year, the goal is to get miles, miles, miles. I want to fit myself to the car and the car to me, get the car running as many laps as possible, keeping it easy on engine, clutches and belts for now. And learn NHMS, LRP's in my backyard. Next season, I'll try to grab some new slicks and hit as many races as I can.

I'll probably be at the test and tune at LRP in two weeks, I might be asking you for help if you stop by, but please introduce yourself. We might be on track together for a while.

Thanks, Ryan

Liked: 127

Hey Ryan,

I hope to be at the Lime Rock test and tune on 4/23, but might be away on business travel. But won't know until a few days prior.

I've got a blue Club Ford, #30. I'm sure I'll be racing with you a lot this year and beyond.

Good luck with the start of your new journey!

-Will
    Will Velkoff
    Van Diemen RF00 / Honda FF

Liked: 14

Ryan
    Welcome to the group. I am also in the northeast and relatively new to F500. The F500 is a really good group of people (that goes for all classes) and everyone is willing to help. My son is also joining F500 this year so the group is getting larger. I plan to race at New Hampshire on April 20 & 21 and Pocono May 11 &12, would love to have more people to run with. I will also plan to be at all LRP races.

FYI, I have only one year in racing and NHMS will be my son's first race. I understand there is a new F500 driver this year coming to NHMS. I would not worry about jumping in as a newbie!!

PM me if you have any questions.
    John

Will
    When is your first race this year?
    John

Liked: 127

Hi John,

My current plan at the moment is the June and July regionals at Lime Rock, the August Regional at NJMP-Thunderbolt, and concluding with the NARRC Runoffs.

-Will
    Will Velkoff
    Van Diemen RF00 / Honda FF

See you at Lime Rock. We can't make NJMP. Hopefully the FF and F500's are together this year!!

Hi Ryan,

I'm also new and this weekend will be my first event! I'm going to pit with John and his son as they have generously offered to show me the ropes. I'm really excited, so far everyone I've dealt with in the community has been super friendly. It will be nice to have another newbie to race with this year.

-Ed

I worked on the car yesterday, I need to do a little more work before it will be track ready. Now I'm hoping for NHMS in May, but that could easily turn into June back at LRP. I'll try to touch base with you all before I finally make it to the track, it'd be nice to have a group of several knowledged racers looking over my shoulder.

It's funny, these cars are tiny, I don't know how large men fit in these cars, yet they seem built for large large men! I need to redrill the pedals so I can reach them better. The belts need to be relocated so they don't slip off the hans. I need to have my seat propped up so I can see over the body work. And I'm 5'7, 165!

Ed, have you tested the car before you're going to race it? I'm hoping to get a test day in before my first weekend, wanted to hear how the new car went for you.

Later, Ryan

Contributing Member captaineddie1975's Avatar
    Liked: 19

Ryan
    I will be up there Friday evening and will try to stop by. I can meet with both of you newbies and lend some suggestions. If I'm not mistaken Wayne will be there also and he can be a real help believe me. The rest of the weekend I will be at the mercy of the stewards in my new role of steward-in-training so I don't know how much time I will have to help. Best of luck to both of you on your first time at NHMS.

Liked: 0

I look forward to the upcoming season. My name is Steve and I purchased Sean Mcdonald's Red Devil. I hope to see you guys in loudon.

Hi Steve,

I heard that beauty was making its way back east. Not sure if everyone's told you about the other good F500 forums (formula500.org, F500.US), but they're pretty active. I've gotten good tech stuff from F500.org, even though it seems inactive.

Hope to join you guys on track as soon as I can.

Ryan

Liked: 5

Quote Originally Posted by RSR427 View Post
    I worked on the car yesterday, I need to do a little more work before it will be track ready. Now I'm hoping for NHMS in May, but that could easily turn into June back at LRP. I'll try to touch base with you all before I finally make it to the track, it'd be nice to have a group of several knowledged racers looking over my shoulder.

It's funny, these cars are tiny, I don't know how large men fit in these cars, yet they seem built for large large men! I need to redrill the pedals so I can reach them better. The belts need to be relocated so they don't slip off the hans. I need to have my seat propped up so I can see over the body work. And I'm 5'7, 165!

Ed, have you tested the car before you're going to race it? I'm hoping to get a test day in before my first weekend, wanted to hear how the new car went for you.

Later, Ryan
    Just about everything in the cockpit can be moved, e.g. - steering wheel (in/out & up/down) to see the gauges as well; move pedals back until your knees are bent and install heel stops there; and even the down bars can be moved. If it distracts you, move it. Driver cockpit fitment should always be considered a safety issue.

Jim
    Been messing with these cars since 1982

Welcome Steve!!! Glad the group is getting bigger. Ed and my son Jason ran at NHMS this past weekend. Love to get more cars out there!! If all goes as planned, we will be at Pocono in May and Lime Rock in June.

Contributing Member captaineddie1975's Avatar
    Liked: 19

Steve -welcome. I ran against Sean's car at NH and it was a flyer. are you the one who has that beautiful FM for sale?
    I was a Steward at the NHMS meet. On Saturday when it was warm in the afternoon John set a new track record for NHMS at 1:10:978 while his son Jason ran a 1:11 for the first time on this track. On Sunday it never warmed up above 40 degrees and the times fell off sharply. Ed Forer was there in Ernie Churchill's old car and ran 1:15:48 both in qualifying on Sunday and the same exact best lap in the afternoon race. Since this was his first time at the track in F500 that was pretty good too.

Thread Information