Liked: 27

Default Fedex let me down !

You guy's know I really wanted to build my own engine. So, I sent the crank out to be repaired, prepped the block, got it cleaned and magged, lined up a set of rods and pistons. Then decided to send the head out to be freshened by a pro. Put the head in a heavy plastic crate packed it in real nice and shipped it off. Got a call Tuesday from Fedex. They LOST my head. They say the bottom fell out of the crate !!!!! crate and head got separated and now the head with the cams and valve cover are missing. Needless to say I am sick and pissed at the same time. I think someone on the shipping dock got sticky fingers. Please be on the lookout for a FA head for sale. Loynings sn 04-444. I filed a claim with Fedex, but don't have much hope. They sent the crate back to me today and it was simply crushed till the bottom failed. Looks like I am in the market for a whole engine now. Grrrrr.
    I think I learned 3 lessons here. Don't put the race shops name on the label (just a contact ), build a crate that will withstand a nuclear blast, and the most painful lesson insure for the full replacement amount. But I will see if they honor the ins I did put on it.
    God is my pilot, I'm just the loose nut behind the wheel !

Contributing Member quartzracer's Avatar
    Liked: 5

Default Head

I am sorry for your experience, we all fear that situation happening when shipping anything of value. Before you give up hope try contacting Billy Edmonds he posts here and has a line on all of Hasselgrens Toyota stuff. billyedmonds@hotmail.com He seems fair and reasonable.

Best,

Eric

Liked: 3787

Now that the horse is out of the barn...
    I ship my heads in heavy duty wood boxes (glued and screwed) with handles. And tied on one of the valve springs is a tag with shipping info. I almost always have the shipping info duplicated on the item being shipped inside the box. Same thing with all my luggage going on airplanes. If somebody is going to steal something from me in shipping, they darn sure are going to know who they stole it from.

Ask DaveW sometime how it took a month for a cell phone charging cable to get from Panacea to Bath Ohio via USPS priority mail.

Liked: 610

Default Shipping engine parts

I'm with Mike, build a box from wood, or steel or something best suited for the task at hand. Then I buy their insurance. If they lose it or break it, then they have to cough up the money for a replacement (they hate doing that, but they will).
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Banned
    Liked: 1116

FedEx Freight, Express or Ground?

IF Freight PM me a tracking number and I'll see what I can do to help.

I say the chance it has been stolen is about 1 in a 1,000,000. The chance that it sitting an OS&D area and the clerk has no idea what he/she's looking at much less where it belongs is about 1 in 1.001.

Once the OS&D clerk has been tripping over it for a month with no luck in finding it's rightful owner they send it to their salvage store/dealer to be sold to generate as much revenue as possible to offset claims. Sounds like it shipped recently enough, you still have time.

What was it's value in condition as shipped?

I shipped it ground and I had a note inside it with all my contact info. What is OS&D and can I contact them direct ?
    Shipped it 5 days ago (monday).
    Value as shipped? I called around , replacement cost going to be close 5k.
    Thanks for all the help and it WON"T happen again.

Banned

Their Freight division and just about every LTL carrier has an Over, Short and Damaged department. FedEx ground calls them "Quality Assurance"

Basically, they're freight detectives tasked with finding rightful homes for their extra (over) freight, locate their missing (short) freight through coordinated efforts with other facilities. Lastly, obtaining disposition on all the freight that has been damaged and refused.

Larger facilities have a much larger case load than they can effectively work. Their files end up getting prioritized. Rude/Angry customers almost always can count on going to the bottom of the stack, right below the calls that came from their corporate office.

Top of that list are the odd, challenging ones, or a problem they take a personal interest in. If you are fortnuate, this is where you'll fall.

They funnel all their calls through corporate, but you need to speak to somebody in the trenches that can physically walk their facility looking for your cylinder head.

I'll shoot you a PM because these are numbers they don't advertise.
    Last edited by Daryl DeArman; 04.05.13 at 2:45 PM.

Banned

On the outside chance that you have a OS&D/QA guy with some initiative they will likely call LOYNINGS and ask him if he's missing it or if they've shipped one lately.

Call Loynings and tell them you are missing a head with their name on it. If they get a call they can alert you as to who called them and put you in touch!

Even if your shipment was not going to the Portland area, call the Portland,OR FedEx Ground facility (get the number from Pittsburgh) and ask them if they have it. Could have ended up on the dock of a lazy OS&D/QA guy that didn't want to exert much effort. Despite policy he just tossed it on the next trailer headed for Portland so that it would become someone elses' mystery freight.

If no luck, repeat all steps every few days for the next month. It could be on it's way to Portland right now. If it doesn't show up by then, it's not going to.

These problems, procedures aren't unique to FedEx, by the way.

I was shipping it to Quicksilver and I've already talked to Sandy about it.
    Yes, I have a polished kiss-up routine and it is in order. I tried the ph number you sent me and have been transferd form location to location 3 times. I think I am getting close, I talked to a very nice lady and she is going to check the cage herself. Fingers crossed ! Prayers sent ! Thank you !

Banned

I suggested calling Loyning because if that's the only identifying mark on your head/valve cover that's who the QA/OS&D clerk is likely to call.

Glad you got ahold of a nice lady.

The number I gave you is the facility that services Sarver, PA. If they transfered you to another facility that's an indication they think it made it to those points intact.

Good luck!

This is interesting. The terminal at Md. says they received it empty. So that points me back to Pitts. I am tempted to just drive down and talk to them. Would they even let me on the grounds ?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pop Chevy View Post
    This is interesting. The terminal at Md. says they received it empty. So that points me back to Pitts. I am tempted to just drive down and talk to them. Would they even let me on the grounds ?
    Carriers do it all the time, though they don't offer or encourage it. Some service center managers frown on it so clear it with whoever you are talking to in Pittsburgh. Their Corporate offices for Ground Division are in Pittsburgh so make sure you don't drive to the wrong facility.

Before you make the trip find out how it was routed. Did they ship it direct from Pittsburgh to the delivering service center in MD or did it go through a large hub, such as Baltimore, MD first?

If FedEx Ground in Pittsburgh has their own fleet maintenance facility check to see if your parts made it out to the shop as a "I don't know what this is for, must be yours".

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

To find out how oit was routed just track it.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Warner View Post
    To find out how oit was routed just track it.
    They don't disclose all trailer movements...nor do they disclose if someone scans it as "damaged" or "short". That's on intercompany screen shots only and they aren't supposed to share that info.

OH Good Lord ! Now they tell me it MAY be in Utah !!!!!

Banned

Fingers crossed.

Liked: 0

better in Utah than nowhere at all! I hoping it turns up for ya pops!
    Better to have raced for a day...
    than been a spectator for life!

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Pop, any word?

No joy yet !

Hey guys, I,m here in Salt Lake City if I can be of any assistance. 801-440-8118

Banned

No joy yet !
    PM me a scanned copy of the bill of lading and I'll see if I can get anywhere for you.

Liked: 43

Daryl,

If you and I ever get to meet at the same race track, I'm going to buy you a beer for all the help that you have offered in this thread.

Banned

Thank you...

It's not often I can offer much more than an opinion here on this site. Although I am not a FedEx employee, this is in my wheelhouse.

Just trying to help him find this thing.

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 433

Yea Daryl. You have gone above and beyond on this. People like you are what makes this site so good.
    Graham.

Latest word is the cyl head has been located and is being shipped back to me ! At this stage of the game I am a skeptic and will believe it when I see it. If it does show up I won't owe Daryl a beer, I will owe him a CASE of beer !

Liked: 444

Quote Originally Posted by Northwind View Post
    If you and I ever get to meet at the same race track, I'm going to buy you a beer for all the help that you have offered in this thread
    Same here!

Quote Originally Posted by Earley Motorsports View Post
    You have gone above and beyond on this. People like you are what makes this site so good
    Yep!

Latest word is the cyl head has been located and is being shipped back to me!
    Life is good, Pally!

Liked: 1115
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Banned

^^^ no bad mojo ^^^

$100 in claims paid for every 3250 shipments handled is a pretty darn good ratio.

Problem is they are handling 3.9 Million shipments per day through 33 hubs.
    Last edited by Daryl DeArman; 04.12.13 at 6:27 PM.

There are some really good people that contribute greatly to this forum...

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Apex members rock ! Good luck Pops !
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Happy happy joy joy ! (who remembers that movie ?) After a tour around the US the Fedex guy brought my head back today !!!!! Woo Hoo ! and get this they put it in a CARDBOARD box . Huh ? Oh well . Thanks for all the help guys and Daryl send me your paypal addy I will send you enough to buy a good case of beer (or whatever). THANK YOU !

Liked: 444

That's great Pop's, good to hear..

Good for you, Pop!

Banned

Happy happy joy joy ! (who remembers that movie ?) After a tour around the US the Fedex guy brought my head back today !!!!! Woo Hoo ! and get this they put it in a CARDBOARD box . Huh ? Oh well . Thanks for all the help guys and Daryl send me your paypal addy I will send you enough to buy a good case of beer (or whatever). THANK YOU !
    Glad you got it back!!!! WooHoo.

No need to send me anything. A thank you is fine.

Banned

If you feel like you MUST do something, you could make a donation to apexspeed, if it weren't for the forum I wouldn't have been able to offer whatever help I did.

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

We all enjoy happy endings !
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Done ! Now Doug can enjoy a case of beer(or something) .

Was it in the same condition as when you boxed it up?

No, it was beat up just a little. I'm just glad to have it back. I didn't realize the replacement cost till I started calling around. Yikes !

Thread Information