Liked: 9

Default First yr driving a Formula Ford

Last year I finished the champion season in my Subaru WRX(STX) with an average overall(OA) finish of 58th and an indexed finish(PAX) of 43rd. Average for the last 10 events of our 2012 season in the Van Diemen: OA 5th and indexed 17th. Either I got a lot better as a driver, or a Formula Ford is a hell of an autocross car. I prefer the former But given that my co drivers were frequently OA 1st, it is probably the later.
    Either way, I am a very happy Formula Ford driver/owner.
    Mark
    Last edited by mwizard; 12.15.12 at 10:47 PM.
    1990 Van Diemen, the Racing Machine, CM AutoX, 2016 Frontier
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

Liked: 102

Quote Originally Posted by mwizard View Post
    Either I got a lot better as a driver, or a Formula Ford is a hell of an autocross car.
    It's probably both. The feedback that a FF gives the driver is immediate and crystal clear. Also, because a FF does exactly what you tell it to do right now, you have to become very careful with your control inputs. Those two issues make it necessary and easy to improve your driving skill.

Unlike any street car, every part and every detail of a FF is meant to provide a basic function, improve on-track performance, or satisfy a regulation. It's just you and four tires: the car is not a performance limitation at all. That's the good news. The bad news is that you are now hooked. If you ever go back to a street car, it will be a giant step down from FF.

Neil, Great response. You have described the FF driving experience well. I drove street cars 2x last season. It was a less than spectacular experience.
    I regularly offer my car to others to drive and I worn them about the heroin aspect of the experience.
    Mark
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

Liked: 20

It was the Evo school in the rain!

Quote Originally Posted by ewcmr2 View Post
    It was the Evo school in the rain!
    25 runs, on 4 different courses, and with instruction, I guess it had something to do with it
    Mark

Thread Information