Liked: 0

Default March Formula Atlantic 80A

Hey guys, I just ran across this website while researching this 1980 March Formula Atlantic 80A my boss has purchased and is restoring. He and I are trying to create a storyboard for the car, and I was wondering if anyone on here possibly had some records or information about this car. So far I know that it is chassis number 7, and we believe it was raced by Dale Long representing Shierson in the SCCA. DSR ran cars 5,6,8, and 9, so it only makes sense that this car was a DSR car. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to message me on here or email me at broget@calpoly.edu. Thanks!

Liked: 11

Do you mean Dale Lang? his son Eric Lang drove that March 80B to a lap record at Summit Point that held for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy O'Brien View Post
    Do you mean Dale Lang? his son Eric Lang drove that March 80B to a lap record at Summit Point that held for many years.
    Youre right!
    Last edited by benroget; 07.17.12 at 2:49 PM.

Liked: 14

Eric Lang set the lap record at summit Point in a Ralt rt4 not a March. He set the record in late 82 right after the track got repaved. there was no more repaving after that and I broke the record with the a 83 Ralt on the same pavement, now ludicrously bumpy, in 1996. Eric was surprised to hear he held the record that long.
    Kevin Firlein Autosport,Inc.
    Runoffs 1 Gold 3 Silver 3 bronze, 8 Divisional , 6 Regional Champs , 3x Drivers of the year awards

Liked: 11

I was at the spring national in 1982 when Eric set the 1.08 lap record, I am almost certain it was a March 80 that had those semi-ground effect tunnels. The Langs did not have a Ralt until 1984 or 85.

http://www.race-cars.com/carsold/mar...62772296ss.htm

This is the car we have now I believe.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Who owned it in AG? Are you in SLO or just work there? It shouldn't be too hard to figure out prior history if the prior owner was in AG.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    Who owned it in AG? Are you in SLO or just work there? It shouldn't be too hard to figure out prior history if the prior owner was in AG.
    Im in SLO and I work here. Im still doing some digging.

Contributing Member Mark Walthew's Avatar
    Liked: 34

Like Kevin I thought it was a Ralt RT-4 that Eric Lang set the record with. I found this old photo I took that weekend and captioned as being Eric Lang.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Walthew View Post
    Like Kevin I thought it was a Ralt RT-4 that Eric Lang set the record with. I found this old photo I took that weekend and captioned as being Eric Lang.
    Definitely not our 80A

Banned

Enjoying going on the hunt....I looked through some old VARA results from 2005/2006 found several entries for Tony Holden as well as Sam Simpson, both are only listed as a March FA no model. No idea where their reside.

I looked on Mylaps for HSR-West results around the same time frame and found the same names PLUS a Paul Wilson, no chassis listed.

Not that Paul Wilson is a very unique name, but there happens to be one Paul Wilson listed in the Arroyo Grande phonebook, with a population of only 15,000 ish, might be worth bothering the guy.

Good luck.

Banned

Paging Jerry Bernheimer and Rick Kirchner...

Either of you gentlemen recognize the car on race-cars.com?

Liked: 14

the record eric set was 1:10.0. I set it at 1:09.709. I then reset it at 1:09.500.My fastest offical lap was a 1:09.0 in quals. Paul LeCain took it in his DB4 at a 1:09.471 in 99. Kris Kaiser in his RT40 then set it at a 1:07.7 in circa 2000 then reset to a 1:07.5. John Thompson now owns it at a 1:06.5 with his Swift 014.

Unofficially I have been 1:06.0 on a friday test day in a RT41 and I suspect the pro series which wont count in the club records may well run high 4's.
    Kevin Firlein Autosport,Inc.
    Runoffs 1 Gold 3 Silver 3 bronze, 8 Divisional , 6 Regional Champs , 3x Drivers of the year awards

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    Enjoying going on the hunt....I looked through some old VARA results from 2005/2006 found several entries for Tony Holden as well as Sam Simpson, both are only listed as a March FA no model. No idea where their reside.

I looked on Mylaps for HSR-West results around the same time frame and found the same names PLUS a Paul Wilson, no chassis listed.

Not that Paul Wilson is a very unique name, but there happens to be one Paul Wilson listed in the Arroyo Grande phonebook, with a population of only 15,000 ish, might be worth bothering the guy.

Good luck.
    Thanks for the info Daryl

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1488

Tony Holden has an 80's march but its the bullet-nosed configuration, and a supervee, much like Jim Gusfsason's. I believe Sam Simpson sold his to Mike Vanderhurst, but it's an earlier model. Another 80-ish March that ran with VARA and I believe an ex-shierson car, was owned for a short time by Lee Follansbee.

Liked: 80

Ben:

Saw your pm. I may, stress may, have pics of the car but it will be some time before I can get into my archives to check.

Sorry I couldn't be of more immediate help.

Liked: 29

I dont recognize the car.....

but if it was the same car......a clue....on the detail list the pictures were dated 2006 and on the fact sheet......

Performance Data

• Class: FORMULA ALANTIC
    • Weight: 1037 lbs
    • Track: WILLOW SPRINGS
    It might have run at WSIR in that time frame. Maybe more digging in MyLaps ?
    Any log book?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry B. View Post
    I dont recognize the car.....

but if it was the same car......a clue....on the detail list the pictures were dated 2006 and on the fact sheet......

Performance Data

• Class: FORMULA ALANTIC
    • Weight: 1037 lbs
    • Track: WILLOW SPRINGS
    It might have run at WSIR in that time frame. Maybe more digging in MyLaps ?
    Any log book?
    Yeah, I looked on mylaps, HSR-West, VARA and Vintage Voice---no #5 March listed in any results. Probably just went out for a test day.

In one of the pics, there is the front end of another car---anybody recognize that?

Thread Information