Liked: 0

Default Greg Pizzo @ Velocity Haus Engineering

I'd like to give a shout out to Greg and the parts he has designed and produced.

I contacted Greg to see if there was an opportunity to create some parts that were UK friendly (lug centric vice center lock centric hubs). He was very responsive and hands on then created a masterpiece of parts that have enable us to get the latest technology in an untouched market here in the UK. The quality of craftsmanship is rivaled only by the aircraft industry and as an F-18 pilot for the Navy I fully understand what it means to have the high quality parts under you when you need it most.

From last year's car this year we are 44lbs lighter, all of it unsprung weight with also a significant reduction in rotating mass. We put on ICP calipers and TDI rotors which makes for ~15lbs of that 44lbs so ~30lbs in savings is significant. This has equated to my driver commenting on how much more responsive the car feels. We have had very little time running with the new stuff but as of now we are very pleased.

The shim based tow and ride height system was also a big plus and something I would highly recommend. This provides you the chance to make large or minute changes during a practice session or in between races so you can take more time doing other things.

Greg even went as far a making aluminum lug nuts for us. We didn't put that on the car for the first weekend only because I couldn't find enough weight to get the car to the minimum weight if we lost any more from the car.

For those who have Van Diemens I would highly recommend that you take a close look at his stuff you can find on the Velocity Haus Engineering web page and if you have any other ideas on something else that you would like better engineered then I would give Greg a call.

Keith
    Last edited by grumpyf14d; 04.01.12 at 2:43 PM.

Default Greg

How much for all that stuff? ...

Same price you would find if you paid list price for OEM and all the stuff is better engineered. Stronger, lighter, and sexier.

Keith

Default Pictures

Sorry erased the pictures by accident
    Last edited by grumpyf14d; 12.03.13 at 9:36 AM.

Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyf14d View Post
    Same price you would find if you paid list price for OEM and all the stuff is better engineered. Stronger, lighter, and sexier.

Keith
    Is it all race proven? Are the axle parts strong enough?

Default Race Proven

All of the stuff has been race proven and working well although Greg has had to redesign one part that failed earlier this month. To show how responsive Greg has been I offer the following:

A couple of weeks ago we had a failure of the left rear hub coming out of turn 2 at Brands Hatch. This failure was due to design of the inner part of the hub not having enough material. Because Greg has designed the stuff around the F2000 car with center lug, the hub did not require the same amount of material because of how the wheel and hub is mounted to the upright. He quiclky redesigned the rear hub with more material in the places required and we'll have the new hub on the car soon. You can't bring something new out and not have a few issues to work through but because Greg has been on top of everything we have gotten any issues resolved very quickly.

Earlier this year we thought we had an issue with the outside tripod housing but after milling down the snubber inside the tripod housing there have been no issues. The uprights and toe/ride height shim based system are a work of art and really make the car work better along with the ability to make very quick changes to the car's handling. I submitted all of these new items to the BRSCC, MSA, and FF scrutineers which all came back approved for use.

The MSA did have concern about the drilled rotors but they are from TDI Inc. and not Velocity Haus Engineering. The MSA felt the drilled rotors were of concern in that the number of drilled holes greatly increased the chance of failure and the breaking ability was compromised. We have since removed those drilled rotors but I will say that the rotors showed no signs of cracking and according to our data required less peddle force to slow the car than the current solid rotors.

Any other qurstions please feel free to inquire. You can give me a call to discuss further at 07584017307 or come by and see us a Donnington later this month.

Keith

Thread Information