Thread: Cendiv Races

Liked: 9

Default Cendiv Races

When and where are the FV's racing this year in Cendiv? I don't think it is too late to work on some plan to get more than one FV out to the track. In the shadow of Beeler, maybe a small WI vs. IL challenge. Nothing serious, just a race or two that we can concentrate on getting the car count up.

I'm indifferent between National or Regionals, SCCA or Council. NASA? Maybe one at Road America and another at Blackhawk? Milwaukee's race at the Mile is a small event where we could possibly have a chance of getting our own race group.

I'm thinking maybe two dates from the following:
    6/2-3 Dbl Regional at Mile (our own race group?)
    6/15-17 JuneSprints
    7/7-8 Dbl Regional at BLKHWK
    7/15 W2W at Blackhawk, MC
    7/20-22 National at Road America
    8/4-5 National at BLKHWK
    8/11-12 Double W2W at Road America, MC
    8/25-26 Dbl Regional at Road America

If I had to pick two... June Sprints and the July Cat National. This is assuming my engine holds up and I can get down to the mid 2:50's. The Mile race would be cool if we have enough interest.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

Tad, glad you started this post. I was thinking something similar and even sent out a couple of feelers on it. I think it would be fun to call it the Cendiv 49th Anniversary FV festival or something like that.

I think the best bet for this to get the maximum participation would be a race at Blackhawk. Personally I would prefer Road America too since it's so close, but I know there are a fair number of locals who won't want to swap in a longbox just for that track, plus maybe they don't want to get wrapped up in the Sprints or they just don't like to drive RA in a Vee as much as BHF. One suggestion was the August Blackhawk National. The July double would be good too.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Liked: 190

Default Two things

1. You need race group building as well as class numbers building. There is a growing number of "cars" in CenDiv that would help support your race group growth. I am certain that if dates are picked, those "cars" would be supportive to your cause.

Should add that we can help at MC or Regionals. Our "cars" don't have National class status.

2. Please read this thread and send in a letter to the BOD. Rejoining CenDiv and Great Lakes will go a long way in helping to increase car counts

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...266#post332266

Just copy, paste and send it to: bod@scca.com
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 02.03.12 at 6:30 PM.
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Liked: 29

Glad to see people all have the same idea. Alex Bertolucci initially approached me about a very similar idea, picking a weekend and promoting it as a vee event. Calling it the Midwest Invitational or something similar. We were getting ready to discuss it with the Chicago region board at the upcoming meeting on Monday to get initial support. We had picked the weekend of the Fall Sprints, Oct. 13-14th but we'd be open to any weekend.

Alex had thought we could gather some support from local vendors, maybe have giveaways and other driver incentives. We have lined up our first sponsor.

We can do any race weekend, it doesn't have to be the Fall Sprints.
    Reinventing the world, one wheel at a time.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

Cool. It would be great the get the region's opinion on what date would be best and what they would require in terms of minimum car count to provide a dedicated run group. I started a list of active and recent FV participants in Cendiv (people who entered at least one event in 2010 or 2011) and came up with 20 names. It would be important to pick a date that would not have any conflicts with Great Lakes events since there are a lot of active Vees there who might be lured to come over. Same with the Major scheduled for HPT in July.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Liked: 8

Quote Originally Posted by jhenn4716 View Post
    We had picked the weekend of the Fall Sprints, Oct. 13-14th but we'd be open to any weekend.
    The Fall Sprints would be great if it would be a double regional. Also it is on the same weekend as a double regional at Mid-Ohio. The Firecracker at Blackhawk in July is a double regional, but it is between two nationals at Road America and is on the same weekend as a double national at Gingerman.
    Last edited by AlBerto; 02.03.12 at 10:20 PM.

Default Kettle Moraine

As a suggestion, the Chicago Region Kettle Moraine Regional at Road America on August 25 & 26. It is a double Regional, no conflicting races with anything (Regional, National, MC, CenDiv, Great Lakes, nothing).

It is the last club race at RA before the Runoffs (cheap testing) and the track will hold up to 110 cars in a race group.
    Bill Bonow

Cool. It does look like others have the same idea. I still like the idea to keep it simple. At a minimum, all we need to do is pick a date and we all show up. However, I would definately be interested if larger plans take off. The selfish reason I want to pick one or two weekends, is that my budget is good for two weekends. As I pick which races to run, I would prefer to choose the weekends that more cars show up and not be stuck with a dud weekend.

The kettle moraine (chicken regional) would be great. It used to be a huge race back in the day. If there was one regional, that would have a chance of getting some of the national racers out, this would probably be it.

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by lenhart05 View Post

The kettle moraine (chicken regional) would be great. It used to be a huge race back in the day. If there was one regional, that would have a chance of getting some of the national racers out, this would probably be it.
    I'm planning to run the Kettle

Great idea
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI
    CenDiv - Milwaukee region

At the Kettle, unless we had like Runoffs turnout (even then in doubt), we wouldn't be getting our own race. While at the Fall Sprints we would have a better chance of doing that. If one of the goals is to have your own run group.

Jeff,

I've worked with many regions on many events. On a first time basis, FV won't get their own run group even if 40 cars show up. It takes a few years of repetition with large grids (15 + cars) to get your own group. Too many regions have been burned too many times with empty promisses.

The only way you might be able to get a FV only run group at BFR for the Fall Sprints would be for 15+ guys to mail in entry funds 2 to 3 months before the event. I'd bet even with that, you'd still end up begging and pleading.
    Bill Bonow

For the Fall Sprints it would be possible, we would just need a commitment from 15 drivers ahead of time. It's still very early in the planning process but I'm pushing for our own race.

Jeff:

I can pretty much assure you that if we came with 15+ FV/FST cars at the Kettle we would have our own run-group, but with a split start. Given the size of RA, realistically, we wouldn't see the other group until about lap 8 and once they are gone, we're on our own again. Last year we did just that (we had 13 FST cars)

On another note, I think earlier is better. If the goal is to increase the exposure of FV, waiting until fall loses an entire season.

No harm of course in trying to do something in spring/early summer AND fall.

my 2 cents
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Quote Originally Posted by lawyerbob View Post
    I can pretty much assure you that if we came with 15+ FV/FST cars at the Kettle we would have our own run-group, but with a split start.

Bob,

Split start, sure. Separate run group, doubtful. Remember that the cars we displace have to go to another group mix or a new race group.
    Bill Bonow

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bonow View Post
    Bob,

Split start, sure. Separate run group, doubtful. Remember that the cars we displace have to go to another group mix or a new race group.
    right - I meant we'd have a "separate group" but it would be a split start. I agree we wouldn't get our own run-group. My point was that at RA a split start is nearly as good. IMHO
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Quote Originally Posted by lawyerbob View Post
    On another note, I think earlier is better. If the goal is to increase the exposure of FV, waiting until fall loses an entire season.

No harm of course in trying to do something in spring/early summer AND fall.

my 2 cents
    Finding a date that will work is the challenge. Early weekends are either single days (drivers school), to far (BIR), or the Mile or July race at BHF.

Having two special events would also put a strain on trying to get stuff to give away and an extra burden on sponsors. But I'm open to suggestions.

As for the Kettle, it would have been a split start regardless. So 15 or 50, we would still be the second group.

Finding a date that will work is the challenge.
    The Kettle is easy. No conflicts, double event and three people have already said they would go. Doesn't seem too challenging for me.

Having two special events would also put a strain on trying to get stuff to give away and an extra burden on sponsors. But I'm open to suggestions.
    The Kettle as a single weekend with two point scoring races makes things easy. Many potential sponsors will already be at this event and would most likely add FV to the mix of contingencies.

As for the Kettle, it would have been a split start regardless. So 15 or 50, we would still be the second group.
    RA is a large track with lots of room for lots of cars. Being the we have already negotiated our deal with Chicago Region, we are the second group of the split start. FV would be in the first group.
    Bill Bonow

Bill,

As always, thanks for your input. Could Tad, Matt, and Bob send me a PM so we can talk about planning some multiple events.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Bill is right. No real chance of single race groups. Actually, it is the opposite that we have to worry about. Two vees show up and they throw us in with SRF. After just saying this outload, we do need to partner this up with FST. I'm in for the kettle.

Thread Information