Liked: 14

Default Can I buy FF parts for my FB??

Hello, I am looking to replace all the wishbones on my RF98 FB Nova. Found a UK based shop that sells FF RF98 wishbones ( actually advertised as RF99 onwards). It says that they are also genuine VanDiemen parts.

I am not 100% sure if RF98-onwards shares the wishbones for FF and FC, but i think so. Can someone say for sure.

Also, I dont know if my car has an actual widetrack, i measured the front to something like 61 inches, does that sound like a widetrack. Do I want widetrack??? I think its wide enough but, who would go widetrack. I plan on using the skinny OZ's.

last thing, I wonder who would i go to here in the US to purchase wishbones at competitive prices.

thank for the help Juan Marchand

Contributing Member Mike Devins's Avatar
    Liked: 29

Juan,

If you contact Primus Racing or Brit West in Ontario (519.756.1610) they could tell you for sure.

If your car is wide tracked it will be about 72" to the out side of the tires.

Mike I'll measure it the other way, from outside to outside.

I'll call Brit West and Primus.

any other fabricators? I figure there would be dozens of them. I know of one called Nick Fuhs but I dont have his number. thanks

I checked Afterburner race parts or www.F-2000.com right? but the site has been down or maybe there is a new web address.

Liked: 77

Universal Racing Services in England
    JR

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most ! "

Jeff thanks, the place i found is called Medina (in UK), they have a well sorted deal for FF and the prices are like under $200 for some wishbones with brake lines and the press on aurora bearing. thats why im like wondering if FF parts fit my FB.

Contributing Member Richard Dziak's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Juan:

Contact J.D. McDermott or Dave at Front Range Motorsports in Colorado. There is a strong possibilty that either J. D. or Dave is familair with Hector's old car, and they would certainly be a source for parts. They specialize in FC parts and cars. Hector's car was a FC not an FF. Also think you may be looking for A-arms, what you call wishbones.

(303) 340-1001
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Former Phoenix F1K-07 F1000 #77 owner/driver
    email: sonewmexico@gmail.com

The skinny is that FF and FC share same A-arms on RF98 onwards. I knew this once and forgot.

I know my car was an FC here but its an RF98 anywhere else, so it can be an FF too.

AfterBurner is updating their website, and Chris was very helpful answering my questions.

I can't wait for the start of the race 90 minutes away

Richard- wishbones or a-arms its the same, thanks merci bo koo

Contributing Member a. pettipas's Avatar
    Liked: 84

JRM, your RF98 FB(C) car and an RF98 FF are not the same chassis...this has been documented several times here in the recent past...your car is a closer relative to RF99-later chassis, the RF98 FF chassis belongs to the previous generation and is similar (the same???) to the RF97...it is true your car could be converted to FF, but your chassis is not what VD sold to FF racers in 1998...check the link to 98 FF...http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49036

In your search for 'bones note that RF99 and RF00 fronts are NOT the same...RF99s had a longer wheelbase vs. RF00, achieved through front wishbones swept slightly forward (but certainly enough to screw up caster if you were to mix years...not recommended...)
    I have no idea about the 98 'bones...

Aaron

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default On my RF99 chassis

Nick ALL THE WAY - nfuhs@hotmail.com

The tag tack welded to the A Arm (if orig VD) tells the tale.
    Mine read "992" which is RF99 2 Liter, making it narrow track FC, as there was no wide track in 99.

I've been told by Baytos (Primus) that there are 99 'bones out there that are incorrectly tagged 00 (the tags on RF00 pieces are '200')...just to add to the confusion!...not sure who made these parts but I presume they did not come from VD...the tags themselves are the same as on the factory ones - small rectangular plate stamped with the # tacked to the w/b...whether a guy has 99 or 00 front upper/lowers if you can't necessarily trust the tag on the part you would have to know the dimensions of the ones you need or if you are able to physically overlay the parts to compare them it is very obvious they are not the same...IIRC all other 99/00 suspension components - rear upper/lower bones, f+r pushrods, track rods (steering) and bellcranks are identical

...or was that 00 parts wrongly stamped 99?...my equivocation aside, anyone with a narrow-track late model VD whether it is 99, 00 or even a 98 with either 99 or 00 front bones needs to be conscious of exactly what parts they currently have on their car and what parts they may be replacing them with...

Aaron
    Last edited by a. pettipas; 01.29.12 at 1:24 PM.

Aaron thanks for the info.

Glenn, my car's a-arms have tags from 298-200, the front upper and lower a arms are stamped 298 but the front pushrods are 200. The upper rears are 200, lowers 299 with round pushrods, oh and the left lower rear isn't wide aerotube. so its funny.

I checked the front track and its already at 70inch , going with the widetrack would probably screw me out of ever using a wider tire, i'm just assuming. jrm

So RF98 FC front w/b must be different again from 99 and 00...

It might be so. I can't say for sure, but i can measure the arms and compare my 298 to the 299 or newer.

The rear sits at 68 inches with the 299 uppers and 200 lowers (a-arms). So that sounds like a decent track spread 69.75 front and 68 rear.

This thing is kinda confusing, thanks for the help. If the a-arms wouldnt be dinged up and non matching i wouldnt be sweating it here.

I'm gonna start taking the car apart this week and weed through everything.

Juan, your PM inbox is full

k fixed

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default To add further confusion

I recall the '98 A Arms were round tube, and the 99's were aero or crushed oval/whatever tube...

Thread Information