Liked: 0

Default Girling caliper identification

Can you help me ID this model brake caliper?

...as fitted on the rear of Brabham BT29 racecars (~1969). The shape of the casting appears very different from Girling's "NR" model (no provision for parking brake!) and it's smaller than the "AR" calipers Brabham used at the front of these cars (plus AR calipers feature an external pipe between inboard and outboard halves). I've failed to get a real good photo of the inboard side of this model caliper. Perhaps these shots of various other Brabhams might help:

Here's one more... is it the same model except with a different cap?

Aluminum or magnesium? Piston diameter?

Liked: 160

Your first picture is a Girling D14R or D12R depending on the piston diameter. I think the 14 had approx a 1.9" piston and the 12 had about a 1.700" piston. Both were made of aluminum.

You had mentioned that the AR has an external cross feed, that is only partially true. I believe you will find that AR Mk1 and Mk2 have external cross feeds, but a Mk3 has an internal cross feed.

There is a Mk3 pictured here in this link: http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49428

Your last picture I believe would be an AR with the large bore plug like that.

I hope this helps.

David

Thank you, David.

This is such a great message board!

Liked: 3

Quote Originally Posted by BritishV8 View Post

This is such a great message board!
    And even better since You joined

Miss some of Our special amber liquids yet?
    later Gord
    BTW...only toilets need doors
    www.blurredvisionracing.com

Yep... (I can testify that Regina Saskatchewan is the home of some really great beers!)

Gord, you'll appreciate this: I just uploaded an article about another of Canada's finest British racecars. And guess what! It has some of those Girling D14R calipers.

Here's the link:
    Brad Baker's Brabham BT30 Formula Two Racecar

Thread Information