Liked: 0

Default mystery Brabham BT40

HI,
    heres another thread looking for history. I picked up this car from Forest Grove's son, in denver, co. I know Forest raced it, with a mazda rotoary, in 1985~1986. it was rattle-canned dark blue.
    before that, what i know :
    The Doyle family owned it ( it was red)
    Sheri Fagen also had it?

I think this is all in the colo region SCCA. The car also came with some super vee odds and ends, so it may have been running with that stuff before the rotary.

There was mention that the car "came from canada" Anyone have any Ideas on this one?

Underneath the blue and red paint are some flourescent /bright Blue/green Stripes and such.

Thanks in advance,
    John

Default Brabham

PM sent

Default update

looks like it was:
    forest grove from '84--> Ron Doyle/Jim Christiansen/ Sheri Fagen/ George Gettel --> from '78/'77 ---> Jerry Jolly--> howard kelly ? horst kroll? it was bought from someone in canada and brought to denver in the mid /late 70's. Ron Doyle remembers the K-D frames, which was the Howard Kelly sponsor, i think.

Liked: 15

Quote Originally Posted by jstreeter View Post
    looks like it was:
    forest grove from '84--> Ron Doyle/Jim Christiansen/ Sheri Fagen/ George Gettel --> from '78/'77 ---> Jerry Jolly--> howard kelly ? horst kroll? it was bought from someone in canada and brought to denver in the mid /late 70's. Ron Doyle remembers the K-D frames, which was the Howard Kelly sponsor, i think.
    John

Howard Kelly's car was ex Craig Hill
    Has the car got a chassis plate, or an Arch Motors tub number?

Chris

Default chassis plate

Unfortunately , the story is that the chassis plate was removed when it came back across the canadian border... to avoid customs.
    Apparently , Jerry Jolly traded a supervee for it in late '76/'77. He brought the supervee over the border to canada, then returned with the BT40, claiming it was the supervee. Howard Kelly did race a T322 super vee the next year, in '77.
    Is it just common knowledge that Howard Kelly bought Craig Hills car? where did that bit of info come from?
    The rear subframe has a "AM74/75" number, but the fuel cells are nov 72. Thus, the rear subframe was made ( and replaced?) in 1974. Craig hill did have an accident may 26 1974, but he was racing again June 2. I guess he could have damaged the subframe ( report says "broken wing") and replaced it.

This is all speculation before jerry jolly ( except for the fuel cell and frame date codes) it does seem to roughly jibe with things tho.
    john

Liked: 15

Kelly's BT40 having been Hill's was reported by Chris Waddell in Formula, August 1976, p. 11
    for sale Autoweek 7 August 1976 p.32 Hart BDA ex Craig Hill, 8 races only, by Kelly.

The Jolly story makes sense, so looks like a pretty complete provenance. Shame about the chassis plate.

Thread Information