Liked: 4

Default Longacre Cutoff Switch - switch from Lucas

I currently have a Lucas cutoff switch on my vintage Lola FF. Some recent electical gremlins have made me suspect that the switch may be going bad. To replace it with another Lucas switch is expensive, and I avoid any think electrical from Lucas whenever I can.

My question is whether the Longacre two terminal cutoff switch is a direct replacement. By this I mean;

1) Are the terminals the same size (I think they are both 3/8")?
    2) Is the mounting tread on the front that same diameter ?

I am hoping that the answer to both these questions are yes, as I just remade the entire electrical system last year, and I do not want to modify it in any way.

Thanks

Nathan

Liked: 610

Default Lucas switch

Thinking of how old that switch might be, maybe it's just time to replace it?
    Yes, they are expensive but how long did it last for that price?
    We still stock that switch because on occasion, we still get requests for them.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 2

I had the stock original Lucas switch in my 84 Lola. Still worked great and I never had to worry about losing the "key". I'd stick with the Lucas and worry about it again in another 20 years.
    Man will race anything. It's in his blood. His Soul. He must.

Kurtis C. Shirley MacLane FV (sold), Lola T644 (sold), Murray FK1 FST (sold), Vector MG-95FF (sold), PRS 82F (sold), Lola T340... AKA PRS82F

Liked: 29

Nathan

The Lucas switch, like any other does go away after a time. It has no wiping (snap) action like a good Cole-Hersee switch, therefore the internal contacts corrode and erode with switching. You can take apart the Lucas and if the contacts are in good shape you can smooth them with some 400 paper and put the switch back together. But you will spend a lot of time on it and then a new switch might be less aggro.
    The Longacre piece is made by Cole-Hersee, and has a bigger body and only a slightly bigger threaded barrel. If you have about 3/4" diameter more room in the body then the Lucas the CH will fit. They all use the same terminal lug size.

Liked: 4

Default Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice

Nathan

Thread Information