Contributing Member
    Liked: 1

Default Girling 12sp Weight Savings over LF14

Girling 12sp Weight and Applications
    Hi Folks,

I was wondering if someone could help me figure out the weight of the Girling 12SP? I was also curious to what Formula Ford's may have come with it.I know of the Merlyn 11's and some Lotus 51's that supposedly came with them, on the rear anyways. Anything a little later than them?

The only reason for my asking, is how much weight saving over the LF14 could be gained on the rear of a Vintage FF.

Thanks,
    Wayne Lee
    Douglas, MA
    71 March 719
    Hawke's DL11 & DL12

Liked: 17

I had the SP12's off my car two weeks ago re-kitting them. The SP12 is a smaller and lighter caliper. I can not say by how much - I took to them with a grinder and got some weight down as well. Pad area is slightly smaller and the pistons is slightly smaller . These are a two bolt caliper not four bolt like the 14's.

I have SP12's fitted to the front and rear on my Lotus 69 FF, I have SP14 (almost identical to the LF14) on the front of my VDRF80 and SP12 on the rear. The SP12 is a good little caliper. I have deliberately kept the SP12 at the front of the Lotus for weight and originality reasons. It has no issue with stopping. I run a .625" front master cylinder and a .7" rear master cylinder.

Marty

Contributing Member
    Liked: 1

Default Girling 12sp Weight Savings over LF14

Hi Marty,

Thanks for your input. I'm aware of the basic makeup of the SP12 in comparison to the LF14, that being a 2 Bolt as opposed to the LF14's 4 Bolt arrangement.

What I was trying to get some feedback on was an apples to apples weight comparison.
    In addition to what has been gone over, the 12SP has 1 11/16"(1.688) Bores in comparison to the LF14's 1 7/8" (1.875") Bores. Also they have a much meatier casting. All toll, I was hoping to get a weight of either before any grinding of the casting's base material.

Cheers,
    Wayne

Liked: 17

Hi Wayne,

I may get an opertunity to get some weights this weekend. i am rebuilding the VD and have the brakes disconnected. If time I will pull the calipers off and weigh them.

For me any weight saving has to be good. The SP12's are lighter but I then look at components and try to get them lighter again. Small gains - add up a number of small gains and you have a big one.

Marty

Liked: 3

Default Looking for 12SP brake pistons

Hi Wayne - I read on another site you had a source for the brake pistons for the 12SP's
    I am looking for some...any chance you could send me a source ?
    thanks\
    Gregg Mills\
    kimbriar@aol.com\
    647-232-6707
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lee View Post
    Girling 12sp Weight and Applications
    Hi Folks,

I was wondering if someone could help me figure out the weight of the Girling 12SP? I was also curious to what Formula Ford's may have come with it.I know of the Merlyn 11's and some Lotus 51's that supposedly came with them, on the rear anyways. Anything a little later than them?

The only reason for my asking, is how much weight saving over the LF14 could be gained on the rear of a Vintage FF.

Thanks,
    Wayne Lee
    Douglas, MA
    71 March 719
    Hawke's DL11 & DL12

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 855

Wayne disappeared after I got the March FF he had.

I bought some stainless steel pistons from a Lotus parts supplier, www.rdent.com
    I think Keith Averill of Averill Racing Stuff has them too, 248-585-9139
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Liked: 208

I had 12SPs on the front and 14LFs on the rear of my Alexis and while I dont' have the 12s any longer the weight difference is minimal.
    Ralph Z
    1968 Alexis Mk14 Formula Ford

Thread Information