Liked: 28

Default Alexis Mk15/18 build

Starting on the first of the three Alexis cars we picked up from Gordy. We have two Mk15 frames, and one Mk14 frame, and bodies for a Mk14, Mk15 and Mk18.

First up is the Mk18 body car. The frame is the one on the stand, and will pair with the black body in the second photo:

First job is all the aluminum fabrication work -- floor pan, removable side panels (no bottom shell with the Mk18 body that I have), front body support and fuel cell enclosure / seat.

Floor pan (riveting at 2" intervals):

Front body support... The templates we got from what was left of the Alexis parts bin was for the Mk14 & Mk15. Unfortunately, after a test fit, I found that this template was far too tall for the Mk18 body, so I measured and created a new one.

Then on to the side panels -- creating the template:

Quick shop hack -- I intended to use a 30" bending brake from HF to bend the side panels, but due to the thickness of the aluminum paneling I was using, I couldn't clamp the hold-down bar with enough force to keep it from just sliding back off the brake and screwing up the alignment of my bend. So I welded these tabs on the edges of the back side of the brake to provide a stop for the hold bar. Works like a charm!:

I plan to take the two side panels and attach it at six points to the frame using these:

Here are the panels temporarily fitted to the frame:

I'm starting hard OT at my work to finish the movie we're doing, so it may be a while before my next update, but the fuel cell is arriving this week. I'll try to sneak in some fabrication time to get the enclosure/seat done, then I'll be on to some frame work (headrest bar and harness mount points/tabs)

Cheers!

2. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thread Information