Liked: 1

Default Anyone familiar w/ the Italian ACROBALEO Formula Car?

Hi everyone, Just had a few questions to ask about a certain Italian Formula 1000 car I was looking at.

They are called Arcobaleno's, just seeing if anyone had any reviews, experience, opinions, etc... about this Company or open-wheel race car, would there be easily available parts (other than the engine). [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]

Thank you for your time, [/FONT]

Here are the tech details:
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]TECHNICAL DETAILS[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]CHASSIS: Cro-moly tube spaceframe, with aluminium panels riveted and glued to frame.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]SUSPENSIONS: Front suspension configuration consists of two upright coils over shocks with pull-rods. The rear suspension design consists of two horizontal coils over shocks with push rods. Both front and back have 12 adjustment settings.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]BRAKES: (2) Front discs 10.63" (270 mm) diameter by .45" (11.5 mm) thick, single rear ventilated disc 9.45" (240 mm) diameter by .85" (21.5 mm) thick, 4 pistons calipers.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]ENGINE: YAMAHA YZF IOOO cc, 4 cylinder, 4 stroke, 20 valves. Forced lubrication system with oil cooler. Water-cooled. 1.5” (38 mm) MIKUNI carburetors.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]GEARBOX: 5 speed sequential.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]POWERTRAIN: Chain with sprockets + reverse gear (Arcobaleno), 4 available different rear sprocket ratios for maximum velocity from 165 to 230 Km/h. (Ratio: 13/42, 14/38, 14/40, 17/39)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]MAXIMUM POWER: 140 HP at 10,000 rpm.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]ELECTRONIC IGNITION: Rainbow Spark by Pegaso, with a programmable intrusion-proof rpm limiting device. (8,000 to 12,000 rpm)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]CAR CHARACTERISTICS:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]WHEEL BASE: 88.60' (2250 mm)
    FRONT TRACK: 55.12' (1400 mm)
    REAR TRACK: 53.35' (1355 mm)
    MIN GROUND CLEARANCE: 1.77' (45 mm)
    MAX HEIGHT: 43.31' (111O mm)
    OVERALL LENGTH: 139.76' (3550 mm)
    OVERALL WIDTH: 63.00' (1600 mm)
    WEIGHT: 815.73 lb (370 Kg)
    RIMS: magnesium 6.5' x 1'(165 mm x 25 mm) front, 8' X 13' (203 mm x 330 mm) rear
    TIRES: AVON 6.0' x 19.5' x 13' front (152 mm x 495 mm x 330 mm) front 8' X 19.5' X 13' (152 mm x 495 mm x 330 mm) rear
    ADJUSTABLE WINGS: Front and rear wings already low velocity operation.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Thank you for your time,
    [/FONT]

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

The 140 hp, 5 spd YAMAHA YZF engine won't be competitive with the 180 hp+, 6 spd Suzuki GSXR1000.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default It almost

sounds like you are describing a Gloria F1000 car, or more appropriately a Formula Azzure (Formula Blue, or OMG, FB!) which is an Italian National Series with identical Yammer Thundercat (YZF1000 in US years ago, pre R1) engines as described.

While the Gloria car is small, the tub was large enough to accomodate some seriously girthy individuals (pics avail on request, send $10 and a 8x10 manilla SASE).

Running a car like the one described by the OP with D. Franchitti in it would still result in running around in DFL; not an advisable purchase.
    Spares? Better be speakin' Eye-tallian, and even then what if ya needed something in August - Good Luck!

GC

Heterochromic Papillae starkejt's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Is this it?

http://www.stratotech.ca/arcobaleno/

Maybe if it were super cheap, and you just wanted something fun to blast around with on a track day now and then, but as Coop says, if you intend to race, you will be a goldfish in the piranha tank driving that.

Liked: 0

Default calgary?

you're from calgary? me too..... they run (tried to run) those cars in some mini-series at stratotech park in edmonton, which is a go-kart track, and i don't think it lasted longer than a year or 2

i wouldn't touch that car with a 10 ft pole if you want to be competitive anywhere

Default swap engine to R1 and race it

If the price is right, drop a more current Yamaha YZF R1 motor in it and go run it. Anything 2005 and newer will do and can be had for $1000 in todays market. might want to swap out the speedway size tires for some 8's and 10's though.

Liked: 10

Quote Originally Posted by cparsons View Post
    If the price is right, drop a more current Yamaha YZF R1 motor in it and go run it. Anything 2005 and newer will do and can be had for $1000 in todays market. might want to swap out the speedway size tires for some 8's and 10's though.
    What class with the riveted and glued panels?

Dick

Liked: 126

Wrong car for F1000. It looks like an "inbetweener". In between a toy and a racecar.

Liked: 309

Quote Originally Posted by cparsons View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick R. View Post
    What class with the riveted and glued panels?

Dick
    Drop in a 'busa and run it in FS. If the panels are continuously glued chances are the chassis is not FB complaint.

But for a thousand bucks who cares?
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 11

Quote Originally Posted by glenn cooper View Post
    seriously girthy individuals (pics avail on request, send $10 and a 8x10 manilla SASE).
    Save yourself the $10 and just check out Coop's twitter account....

I'd rather have the RF93 for $12k or that Novak VD if still available for mid 20's, or even JP's DB04 if you wanted to run FB on the low low.
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Liked: 49

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Clayton View Post

But for a thousand bucks who cares?
    I don't think they're selling the cars for $1000, that was someone's quote for an engine price

Liked: 309

Quote Originally Posted by Tiago Santos View Post
    I don't think they're selling the cars for $1000, that was someone's quote for an engine price
    Ohhh...drat!
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 271

Default Arcobaleno

Its the forerunner of the Gloria Formula car - an orphan and very uncompetitive for FB. Even the Gloria with a heavy car, straight rear axle and 145hp would have been lost - thats why they pulled out of the US market to sell spec cars in europe. There are a couple over here somewhere and I know Gloria has a pile (literally) of them.
    Phil

Liked: 159

Did anyone else notice the extreamely short wheelbase? 88 inches! very narrow too. Legal in FS i think......but no way i'd do it. There are much better choices as others have stated.

Jerry Hodges

OP

As with any car, consider your objectives when assessing suitability of your choices.

If you're looking for a car that will be competitive in series X, then buy a car with a chassis and power/weight ratio that makes sense.

If you're looking for an opportunity to get some seat time in a formula car in a lapping environment to build your experience base and have some fun, then few opportunities offer better value than this one. Resale would probably be fairly easy given the new road couse at Castrol.

Dan

Wouldn't it make more sense to purchase a mid to late 90's VanDiemen and prepare
    for and learn about with an FC car that one that the power to weight ratio is high
    enough to over come poor driving techniques and make you feel faster that you are.
    Why not learn in car built for a series and help built the series in Alberta especially if
    Castrol does come online next year.

The racing at RaceCity in open wheel was the closest it's been in many, many years.

Food for thought

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Wouldn't it make more sense to purchase a mid to late 90's VanDiemen and prepare for and learn about with an FC car that one that the power to weight ratio is high enough to over come poor driving techniques and make you feel faster that you are.
    Why not learn in car built for a series and help built the series in Alberta especially if
    Castrol does come online next year.

The racing at RaceCity in open wheel was the closest it's been in many, many years.

Food for thought
    I like the thought of building a series in Alberta! Good thoughts for sure.

Help me understand what you're getting at with the idea of overcoming poor driving technique with more power.

My general experience has been that learning good technique happens more reliably (and more safely) with less power.

Canuk,
    I poked around a bit see that the car you suggested is, in fact, a lower power to weight proposition than the Arcobeleo. Other comments had been that it would not be competitive, so I jumped to the conclusion that it was underpowered compared to other choices.
    Are you saying that this car would be a poor choice for learning to drive open wheelers?
    Cheers,

My personal experience between Solo II, Solo I and road racing has been that drivers with a lower power to weight ratio car, when they start out, learn to carry more speed in the corners and carry the momentum and not rely on the power on the straights over come their fellow competitors. If you know you can not out power them it forces you to learn how to drive better out of the corner and make the past before the end of a straight away. Ergo developing skill level. look a any feeder series, with spec engines and trans, suspension set up and driver ability are what move you to the front.

Cheers

P.S. For the same cost and i[FONT=Verdana]nfrastructure we could have a great series in our province.[/FONT]

Liked: 442

My personal experience between Solo II, Solo I and road racing has been that drivers with a lower power to weight ratio car, when they start out, learn to carry more speed in the corners and carry the momentum and not rely on the power on the straights over come their fellow competitors. If you know you can not out power them it forces you to learn how to drive better out of the corner and make the past before the end of a straight away. Ergo developing skill level. look a any feeder series, with spec engines and trans, suspension set up and driver ability are what move you to the front.

Cheers

P.S. For the same cost and i[FONT=Verdana]nfrastructure we could have a great series in our province.[/FONT]
    My personal experience is never trust anyone in a Van Diemen jk!

but it does hurt when you get the run off the corner and into the draft just to see them pull 5 cars on you anyway.

Any mid 90's and up FC should be competitive with us out here but if i remember the OP was thinking of running in ontario and thats FF country out there.

True to OP was in Ontario and that being said would it not better to run what they run than one of these Acrobaleo?

We're on the same page regarding how to learn.

Are you aware of anyone organizing a formula series in Alberta? I have not been in touch with Calgary activity, but given the shift in track infrastructure, my interest has been piqued.

Dan

No plans for a series that i have heard of there is only 6-8 of us running and with a track being a minimum of 3 years away don't think anything will be happening soon.

Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    No plans for a series that i have heard of there is only 6-8 of us running and with a track being a minimum of 3 years away don't think anything will be happening soon.
    Castrol is supposed to have the first section done for next summer and the balance of the track for 2013.

What cars do the 6-8 of you run?

Are you interested in lapping or just racing?

Dan

Castrol is SUPPOSED to be done but it will not one small oval section this year then the next year the other oval section then a year after that they are supposed to combine the so it's 3 years until we have a real track.

Cars we have in our run group

in FL
    2004ish Pro Formula Mazda
    2000ish Tatuus Renault
    1995ish Tatuus Renault

in FC
    98-01 Van Diemens about 4-5 of them
    95 Van Diemen
    86 Reynard

Sports racers
    2 or 3 Radicals

and a number of cars that have disapeared into the garages over the years

We race 4-5 times a year well we used to race at race city 4 times a year.

Yeah, it'll be a while for the full course at Castrol, but I think the first section is a bit more than just an oval.
    http://straightpipe.ca/forums/showpo...1&postcount=62
    Sounds like a good group. If I wanted to get involved down the road, what's the best way to stay in touch?

Dan

Well the organizing websites for our group are below

http://www.wcma.ca/

http://www.albertaracecar.ca/

and if you want to get a hold of anybody in the group probably just post here but under FC we all visit here fairly often i believe.

Thx!

Thread Information