Liked: 0

Default Vintage FF tires

We did a back to back test at Mt Tremblant last weekend in the Lotus 69 - in the same session we changed from a good set of Dunlops to a new set of Avons. The best lap time was 0.3 second quicker on the Avons but I would be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two tires. The Avons seemed to have slightly more grip going through turn 2 which as anyone who has been there knows is very quick indeed. The Dunlops seemed to have a tad better braking feel going into the hairpin. Both tires give great feedback when really pushing the car (which I was - below 1.50 laps) but maybe the Dunlops give slightly more feedback when the car gets sideways (Dave Handy tells me the Avons may have slightly stiffer sidewalls).

To summarize; Avon have done a great job in 'copying' the Dunlops and I am convinced there is no noticeable perfomance advantage from either brand.

Liked: 1

Default Feedback

Cheers for the feedback.

BTW, Were the Dunlops manufactured in 2011, 2010 or earlier?

Default FF tires

David

Default FF tires

But I have always found the Dunlos really don't go off much. In 2009 we put e new set on at Road Atlanta at the end of the season and it made no difference over the set I had run all year...

Liked: 2

Default FF Tires

Good report, thanks. According to Roger Kraus Tires, the Avon ACB9 is available in 3 different compounds: A24 (soft), A25 (medium), A29 (hard). Which one were you running?

Default FF tires

The hardest compound which I believe is the only one allowed under Monoposto rules. I will check with Dave Handy to be sure. He did mention that Avon made them harder to be comparable to the Dunlops so maybe it could be an even higher number than A29.

David

Liked: 4

Default Lops vs. AVON

Did you have chance to weigh & measure the AVONs and compare them to the Dunlops?
    Any ride height adjustments required? The Hoosiers I've tested do require adjustments.
    FFR Daytona, '12 F-250, Merlyn '71 Mk 20 FFI
    "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest!" Mark Twain

Default FF tires

We did not make any changes to the car at all. I had it set so it was just touching in the left hander going up the hill and it touched the same on both tires. They look identical; I could not tell the difference if the sidewall letters were blanked off. We did not weight them.

David

Liked: 1

Default Dunlops

Thanks again,
    I am asking because Dunlop has made changes in 2010 and again for 2011. Probably less of an issue with a vintage/club fords with minimal camber or toe setup.

Good point about the Avons. If they are to be accepted as a vintage tyre, we need to be sure everyone is on the same compound.

BTW I ran the VARAC festival and the OFFC (NASCAR) weekends wth three year old Dunlops (on a Club Ford). They probably didn't cost me that much grip other than one wet race. Hopefully Avons offer the same longevity?

Tony

Default FF tires

How long they last and do they go off over time; that is the big question...
    I am told Avon really tried to make a long lasting consistent tire so let's see

David

Liked: 123

With the exception of wet performance, which I found night and day difference between old and new Dunlops, I always went faster on old ones than new ones on a vintage car. I think new cars use the tires very differently.

Brian

I guess it is because the new cars actually use the tires!

Liked: 7

Default American Racer

What about the American racer slicks hard compound?
    Other than Formula Tour (Quebec) anyone using them?
    J-Guy

Thread Information