Liked: 0

Default SOVREN Pacific NW Historics, Kent WA, July 1-3

Are any of you guys racing this coming weekend at Kent Washington?

I see the following Formula Fords pre-registered:
    1969 Lola T-200
    1972 March 729
    1968 Lotus 51B (two cars)
    1968 Forsgrini Mk 10
    1970 Caldwell D9b

This will be my first trip west of the Rockies to photograph vintage racecars for new feature articles on BritishRaceCar.com.

Liked: 58

Motorsportreg is a partial listing of entrants. There will likely be close to 25 formula fords. Weather forecast is sun and 70's....in Seattle?

Liked: 210

What Bob said about the FF's.

And then you'll have Al Unser's old Frisbee, Jackie Stewart's Tyrrell F1 car, Nuvolari's Alfa Romeo F1 car that he won the German GP with in 1936, a couple of F5000's, and ENDLESS other really great formula B's (as in real), and others.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 10

I now own the 1972 Royale RP3A that you featured when Scott FairChild owned the car. I'll be at the historics and would like to meet you. The 729 March would make a good article and there are many other cars to drool over.

Cheers,
    Stephen Guy

Liked: 143

steven,
    The car looks great on track!!! hope all is well
    Scott
    (BTW what a great engine!)

Liked: 8

Default SOVREN

We will have 24 Formula Fords running this weekend, 9 FB's, mostly Brabhams, a Hawk,a Chevron and a Titan. Two F-1's, a really cool 64 BRP and Tyrrell 004, 5 Can-Am cars, 1 Super vee, one F5000, a Porsche 904 and a 910, a Chevron B-8 and a B-16 and assorted 50's and 60's sports racers in addition to five grids of pre 69 production cars and specials and lastly 15 Fvee's and one very cool Cooper F3 car. 200 cars entered. See you there!!

AL Murray

Brabham BT21

Quote Originally Posted by Al Murray View Post
    We will have 24 Formula Fords running this weekend, 9 FB's, mostly Brabhams, a Hawk,a Chevron and a Titan. Two F-1's, a really cool 64 BRP and Tyrrell 004, 5 Can-Am cars, 1 Super vee, one F5000, a Porsche 904 and a 910, a Chevron B-8 and a B-16 and assorted 50's and 60's sports racers in addition to five grids of pre 69 production cars and specials and lastly 15 Fvee's and one very cool Cooper F3 car. 200 cars entered. See you there!!

AL Murray

Brabham BT21
    My friends in Portland have been encouraging me to delay my trip and go to P.I.R. instead (which is cheaper and easier for me) - and I was tempted last night when I checked the website and only saw 43 cars pre-registered.

Where can I get an accurate registration list so I can plan my visit and do advanced research?

If you've never been to Pacific Raceways(the old Seattle Intl.) you don't want to pass it up. First-timers usually regard it as one of their new favorites. Portland's like a billiard table,Seattle like a run through a mountain forest in comparison.

Liked: 8

Default PNW Historics

marchsv wanted me to post his photo of his Titan that will also be at the Historics this weekend.

Liked: 1112

Quote Originally Posted by Al Murray View Post
    marchsv wanted me to post his photo of his Titan that will also be at the Historics this weekend.
    That's too far for me to travel just to see the beautiful car, but your picture does make me think about it..
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Liked: 5

Default SOVREN Pacific Northwest Historics

Here's the March 729.

Jim

Liked: 22

Default SOVREN entry

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Posner View Post
    Motorsportreg is a partial listing of entrants. There will likely be close to 25 formula fords. Weather forecast is sun and 70's....in Seattle?

Hi Bob (& Quinn) --

Don't know if you know, but Slim will be there w/ his FV, so be sure you go say hi.

What a turnout, and sounds like you'll have your hands full in the FF field, so keep your head down and do good! Since you have so many FB's, wish I could join in w/ my BT29....sounds like a good time will be had by all. Maybe next year...

All the best,
    DZ

DZ Slim will show 'em a thing or 2 about fv motoring in the Northwest. I lost my mind and bought Mark Powell's Titan Mk6b to add to my fleet. "Old guys with old cars..." Bob

Liked: 139

It's to bad Oregon region SCCA had to start running their double national on the same weekend as the Historics.

Liked: 22

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Posner View Post
    DZ Slim will show 'em a thing or 2 about fv motoring in the Northwest. I lost my mind and bought Mark Powell's Titan Mk6b to add to my fleet. "Old guys with old cars..." Bob

Bob -

Good for you on buying Powell's Titan . They are very hard cars to beat in Vintage FF when driven properly, as we know you will! Good luck.

DZ

Quote Originally Posted by J Leonard View Post
    It's to bad Oregon region SCCA had to start running their double national on the same weekend as the Historics.
    That is (was) a bad move James. The majority of workers for SOVREN are the CORE pool from ICSCC. They 'do' an occasional SCCA event and the Oregon double was one of them along with the SCCA Double at Pacific.

BUT, I'm sure their loyalty will be with SOVREN this year. So, Oregon will have to count on their 'locals' for the most part to handle the load. They should be okay but really working 'slim'.

It's hard for any SANE worker to pass up the SOVREN fire cooked Salmon, potatos, corn on the cob, salad, etc. to work an SCCA double for a box lunch... LOLOL

FANTASTIC meal for workers and entrants plus a silent auction of racing 'stuff', live band, ticket bar... oh yes fun for all. COME ON UP DAVE Z.. you're missing a good one.
    Last edited by rickb99; 06.29.11 at 6:07 PM.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

Default "Slim" pickings

I raced last year at this fantastic weekend. Renewed my friendship with/and watched Slim P give the local Vee drivers a lesson. It wasn't easy though. There are a few Vee drivers that are pretty good. But, then, there is Slim Pepperdine. Each race he just slowly motored away. One of the nice things about our races is that with the three day weekend, we have 5 twenty minute races, two each day in addition to a first day warm up/qualifyer. So we get lots of track time. I recall that Slim won all the FVee races. He's also very humorous to have around. Slim tells the story of racing his Vintage Vee somewhere in the SE and blew their doors off and a local walked up to him and said something to the effect that "we don't race like that around here, why do you do that?" or words similar. Slim replyed "well...I just keep passing cars until there aren't any more left."
    Well, the weather forecast is great, couple hundred entries of all types and [it] looks like about 24 FF. Should be great racing a very busy schedule.
    Also, SOVREN's Formula Ford Festival September 3-5 at Portland will be a great event and not just limited to Vintage.

Wonderful facility, fantastic weather, and exceptionally nice people.

Doesn't this look like fun!

It will be awhile before I have my photos "developed"... but it looks like I got some good ones!

sample:

Thank you to everyone who helped facilitate my travel, fed me delicious food, etc.

GREAT shot of 3A/3B with the freshly painted FIA curbing.

Thread Information