Liked: 0

Default Exploding Driveshaft

Unfortunately a couple of cars hit it doing considerable damage. -M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp8JrDeAXEo

Liked: 492

Looked like a drive shaft do-nut failure. In addition to being a consumable that needs to be looked at frequently, there were some bad ones out there. We had a new one start to fail after one session. I make sure that each car with do-nuts has a centering device. That helps a lot.
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

Liked: 4

I must have been just behind this. I came onto the back straight at Eagles Canyon and saw pieces bouncing all over the place...the driveshaft was lying in the middle of the track. Fortunately I missed everything.

I ordered do-nut savers as soon as I got home.

Angus, did you see the Brabham that did hit it? It broke the lower front A-arm mount, pedal assembly, and punched a hole in the A-arm and floorpan. Mark D also hit it and suffered a punctured tire. Aside from this event group 6 had a great weekend of racing. After the second race I could not wipe the smile off of my face, most fun I've had on a track, even with my spin on the last lap. I was not around for the last race Sunday. -M

Liked: 4

I saw a couple/three cars at the side of the track in different places but didn't see the damage up close.

This was my first race in a Formula Ford and we had driveshafts bouncing down the track, cars off left and right, more excitement than I had anticipated...the remaining races were much less "eventful". I was checking my rotoflex couplings after every session. I'd feel better with CV joints.

Had a great time!

Welcome to the fray.

Thread Information