Liked: 0

Default new: Lotus 61MX Formula Ford article

Well, here's my latest effort:
    Kyle Kaulback's 1970 Lotus 61MX Formula Ford Racecar
    (includes 48 big color photos!)

As with my previous write-ups, there are probably inaccuracies and gaps, and I'd be very grateful to hear how to fix and fill them. Thanks in advance for your interest and help!

teaser photos:

p.s. any change dropped in BritishRaceCar.com's digital tip jar would help me travel to races, photograph more racecars, and ultimately publish more articles!

Liked: 210

VERY nice set of pictures.

You mentioned that the front uprights are the design used by Triumph. What about the rear uprights? Also Triumph .... or?
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

Default memories

those were always such pretty cars with their "advanced" wedge styling ala the turbine Indy car

i was a 16 year-old lot-boy at the local BMC Jag Lotus dealer and remembering spending my lunch hours drooling over one in our showroom and being allowed to sit in it once or twice

Craig Hill had a beautiful Castrol sponsored model and Brian Stewart's was wicked fast "north of the border"

love the steering wheel patina...did i miss a photo of the louvered engine cover?
    Last edited by provamo; 05.08.11 at 10:53 AM.

Liked: 0

Rear uprights... designed by Lotus, specifically for Formula Ford.

Engine cover... a standard feature of the "61" model that was deleted when Lotus updated to the "61MX" model. Those were cool looking, with louvers on the rear-facing surface, but they didn't do a thing to make the car faster and in fact probably slowed it down due to increased frontal area.

---

It's not a Formula Ford, but I've completed and uploaded an article about Kyle's other racecar and I think it's certainly worth a careful look. The Lotus 69 Formula Ford was an up-market alternative to the 61. Faster, but it didn't sell as well. However, Lotus also produced Type 69's in other variants including specifically Formula Two, Formula Three, and Formula B/Atlantic. Here's the link:
    Kyle Kaulback's Lotus 69 Formula B (upgraded) Race Car

And a preview snapshot:

Thread Information