Liked: 0

Default Merlyn 11A suspension

In a previous thread "Merlyn 11A Formula Ford article" Dave Fairchilds Merlyn has adjustable rod ends on the front suspension which is not the original set up as shown on Bernard Bradpieces Merlyn. Is this an accepted practice in VARAC? VARA?

Attachment 24842

Attachment 24843

Last edited by level3; 05.06.11 at 1:16 AM.

Liked: 490

VARA and HSR West would allow them. F Ford was never a showroom stock series. This was done quite often in period.
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

Liked: 123

If you are interested in having a correct car, then you'll have the tie-rod end pieces for steering and the upper ball joint. If you are interested in greater/easier adjustability, you'll convert to the rod ends. I don't think one is stronger, safer, better than the other, neither is particularly more adjustable that the other, it's more that it's a real PITA to release a tapered joint to adjust camber compared to undoing a bolt with the upper rod end.

In VARAC, if it meets the Monoposto rule book it's good. I don't remember what the rule book has to say about this. It's completely legal according to actual Formula Ford rules, or course.

Personally, when I ran a Merlyn MK6A in vintage it had rod ends in those locations. If I was going to run a Mk11A now, I would use the original joints. Why? I've learned that thinking you can adjust those things and get any real difference on track if you are real close in the first place is kinda silly, and the original joints look cool to me. there are other ways to fix bump steer on those cars than stacking up washers under a rod end on a steering joint.

Edit: it's quite important to look at your droop and bump travel if you do use a rod end for the top ball joint. You can easily exceed the travel of a rod end with the amount of suspension travel those things can have. It does no good to the integrity of a rod end to have it being the ultimate bump stop, and to a lesser degree the droop limiter. Yes, this was discovered the hard way, although not the hardest way. The tie rod ends have a lot more travel.

Brian

Liked: 0

Thanks for the info Brian.
    I guess the same goes for the oil tank as I have noticed some Merlyns have the tank moved forward front left of the engine as below.

I am looking to restore my 11A and, since my car has the rod end and oil tank mods. this info helps in deciding order of priority to get it on track again. Been occupying several selves in my shop since I last raced it in 1986.

Dave

Thread Information