Contributing Member
    Liked: 5

Default Hawke Front Brake Origins

Have a friend that has a DL2 series FF that he is rebuilding. It has the original fabricated front upright setup and he would like to retain that if possible.

Enquiries have been made to source the calipers and rotors for this arrangement without success. All the cars I have seen in person have been changed over to Triumph parts.

Anyone know the donor car for these original items?

Thanks,

Rob

Liked: 79

I use to have a DL2A, and sent a letter to Hawke years ago asking the same questions. ONly my rear uprights were fab. I was told that the front uprights were from a Triumph Vitesse. I imagine that thet are the same as a Spitfire, as the front brake disks. I was also told that teh rear brake disks were from a Triumph 2000, whatever that is. Same goes for the rear stub axle.

Liked: 8

I tried to find rotors for my DL12 without luck, and ended up having ICP in Indy make them. Went to a aluminum hat with a floating rotor... much better setup, and uses standard discs that are $90 each or so...

The cheapest Triumph comparo I found needed to be cut down and was $235 each... if I could even get them delivered...

good luck,

Mike
    ---------
    Mike Green
    Piper DF2 FF

Liked: 4

Default Hawke FF brakes

Contact me and I will fill you in on the parts we used to duplicate the factory

set up and improve the braking.
    Art Jahn

JahnAutosport

608-617-3793

Liked: 146

My DL 11 has fabricated uprights front and rear, and the disks come from outer space.

I have not been able to find a replacement disk anywhere, but Nissan Micra rear disks will fit. At $65 each, they are a bargain. You will have to redrill the bolt holes - different PCD, thin down the disk, and some other miscalanous machining. If you have lathe and a spare hour, its a breaze.

I do have an accurate drawing somewhere. If you need, send a message.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 5

Default Calipers

Thanks for all of the leads, any idea what caliper was used? I have heard that the LD20 will fit but might not be original.

Rob

Liked: 8

I have LD20 F and LD19 R
    ---------
    Mike Green
    Piper DF2 FF

Liked: 0

The Hawke DL2A came with Spitfire front uprights. I suggest replacing with GT-6 ones (much safer) and using Spitfire caliper brackets to fit the Spitfire rotors which are used in front. The DL2B came with fabricated front uprights. These are very dangerous because they break without warning and should be replaced with Spitfire or GT6 for safety. BTW, the rear rotors are Triumph 2000 Mk1 front rotors. (Mk 2 are way too thick/heavy.)

Most of the Hawke DL2s came with 14LF calipers, F&R.

DOC

Thread Information