Contributing Member Thomas Copeland's Avatar
    Liked: 165

Default CRB? l

All I did was ask for member input, not a rule change, to give the same consideration for members input for open ECU's that they did to electronic shifters and they turned it down.

See May Fastrack.

Appears they can't even allow us to ask the members for their opinion anymore.

Liked: 8

Default PM Sent

PM sent
    Last edited by brownslane; 04.21.11 at 2:08 PM.
    Tom Owen
    Owner - Browns Lane and Racelaminates.com

Banned
    Liked: 1116

In my experience if the decision makers believe that what the current members want is not in the best interest of the organization/long term health of the class; they'd rather not throw it out there for input IF they are going to end up going against the will of the membership in the end.

Rather be unpopular/piss off a few than a bunch.

Liked: 5

I'm pretty upset with the CRB also. They just legalized the 593 Rotax engine in F500 and not one single lap has been turned on track by a car with a 593 engine. This engine has 100cc more displacement (600cc vs 500cc) than the current engines and the only testing that was done was some dyno work with restrictor plates to get the equivalent peak HP. As far as I can tell, it was only posted in Fastrack for member review for solo with no mention of this proposal for road racing. I'm very quickly losing my faith in the CRB.
    Chris Ross
    09 NovaKBS F600 #36 Powered by '09 600 Suzuki GSX-R
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked: 84

Quote Originally Posted by lancer360 View Post
    I'm pretty upset with the CRB also. They just legalized the 593 Rotax engine in F500 and not one single lap has been turned on track by a car with a 593 engine. This engine has 100cc more displacement (600cc vs 500cc) than the current engines and the only testing that was done was some dyno work with restrictor plates to get the equivalent peak HP. As far as I can tell, it was only posted in Fastrack for member review for solo with no mention of this proposal for road racing. I'm very quickly losing my faith in the CRB.
    don't you run a 600cc.? I'd think you'd want the added competition with a more equal engine to your own. Is that why they made the change?

Liked: 5

In the long run I think this engine will be good for the class. What I have a problem with is how it was done. I think the engine is being brought in with too much initial potential, there has been no track testing done, it was done without asking for any member input for road racing, and it was done as a tech bulletin so the engine is immediately legal instead of a rule change which would not be legal until after the runoffs. I'm baffled why the BOD thinks this is an acceptable methodology for introducing a new engine to a class. What would have been the outcry if they had done this with the Fit or Zetec engines.
    Chris Ross
    09 NovaKBS F600 #36 Powered by '09 600 Suzuki GSX-R
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." John Kenneth Galbraith

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
    don't you run a 600cc.? I'd think you'd want the added competition with a more equal engine to your own. Is that why they made the change?
    The 593 engine is not "more equal to" the MC 600CC engine. You are talking 2stroke vs. 4stroke, CVT vs. regular transmission. The MC 600CC engine hasn't even been approved for National status and has been running restricted to levels BELOW the current F500 Rotax engines. What they did was introduce a motor that is capable of much more than the current 2 strokes and tuned it down. IF/When the MC engines are accepted in the National class those that want to run 2strokes with a CVT will have something that can be tuned to keep up with the evolution of the MC engines. Hopefully it will end up with long term parity with neither the 593 or the MC engines being heavily restricted.

Contributing Member captaineddie1975's Avatar
    Liked: 19

Chris
    After spending all that money to covert to a MC powered car I can understand why you may be upset. However let us look at a few facts. The CRB required testing (on track) because you have a totally different motor than those that make up the majority of the class. It is not a two stroke and requires shifting. The majority of the MC motors that did compete in F600 as a restricted class (with the permission of the particular region) were not running restrictors which the CRB had asked for so after a year and a half they still didn't get the info they wanted. Our 593 committee did much comparitive dyno testing against the current popular 493-494 2-strokes and submitted this info. Our members then wrote in many letters in support of this proposal pointing out that in previous history the 493 and 494 RAVE engines had been added without need for on track testing just weight adjustments. They have now done this with the 593 with restrictor and weight adjustments. It is a real simple deal when you are dealing with the exact same type Rotax motor 2 stroke and the CVT.
    Last edited by captaineddie1975; 04.23.11 at 12:32 PM.

Thread Information