Liked: 4

Default Alternative Tire?

Some of us are waiting for the Dunlop container(s) for new rubber. In the mean time, I found potentially an alternative tire from Hoosier that retails for $162 each and is maybe about the same compound. See the tire in their catalog http://www.hoosiertire.com/pdfs/speccat.pdf. on page 18 under the SPORTS CAR D.O.T. - BIAS Item 45110. Has anyone had any experience with this tire on a Formula Ford?
    FFR Daytona, '12 F-250, Merlyn '71 Mk 20 FFI
    "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest!" Mark Twain

Liked: 162

See http://www.racetires.com/shop/45110-...-car-dot-bias/ for a pic.

Dunlops have been the spec tire for US vintage FF for about 15 years, and it seems that the price goes up with exchange rate fluctuations, but never seems to come back down. And then there's the recent problem of availability....

A few of our RMVR members have tried Sumitomo's, and others have tried a discontinued Yokohama, but neither has the performance of the Dunlop--both have thicker sidewalls, harder compounds and are quite a bit heavier. I suspect (but don't know) that the Hoosier 45110 may be similar--you might compare the Hoosier weights to the Dunlops'.

So, I think a lot of vintage racers would be amenable to an alternative tire, but the performance would have to be on par with the 'Lops. Given the small market we represent, there's little incentive for another manufacturer to jump in.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

That Hoosier is the same spec tire that the CDCRA dwarf cars ran on the pavement ovals, when I raced them. Cars are 1000# min weight w/o driver, open wheel but making about 220-240HP. Wheel rates and the fact they are running on ovals changes lots. 1/4 mile ovals in the 13-14 second range really affects tires differently. Lots of side loads, not much cooling off on the straights.

Oh yeah, they also run on 13 x 7 wheels. So, I'm not sure they are a great replacement.

Liked: 1

Avon ACB9 - it is a period correct tyre. We are running them now in NZ due to the lack of Dunlops, which will be here when hell freezes over....

The are a little stickier than the Dunlops, which means they will get chewed up faster, but your laps times will come down, and your ego go up, to compensate.

They are running about 10% cheaper than the Dunlops for a set.

http://www.avonracing.com/acb9_page.aspx

Sascosports Address: 1071 Raceplex Dr Unit B
    Alton
    VA-24520
    USA Contact: Dave Handy Telephone: + 1 434 822 7200 Fax: + 1 434 822 7300 Other:
    Email: mailto:info@sascosports.com Web: www.sascosports.com Notes: Car - East Coast

Frisby Performance Tire Address: 15538 Prairie Road
    South Beloit
    IL 61080
    Illinois, USA Contact: Bob Schaefer Telephone: + 1 847 244 7050 Fax: + 1 847 244 7601 Other: + 1 847 477 3955 Email: mailto:info@frisbyracetire.com Web: www.frisbyracetire.com Notes: Car - Central area

Aim Performance Tire Address: 29651 Arnold Dr Unit K-7A
    Sonoma
    CA-95476
    USA Contact: Ron Cortez Telephone: + 1 707 938 9193 Fax: + 1 707 938 9564 Other:
    Email: mailto:info@aimtire.com Web: www.aimtire.com Notes: Car - West Coast

Roger Kraus Enterprises Inc
    Address: 2896 Grove Way
    Castro Valley
    California 94546

Contact: Roger Kraus Telephone: 001 510 582 5031 Fax: 001 510 886 5605 Other:
    Email: mailto:rogerkraus_99@yahoo.com Web: www.rogerkrausracing.com Notes: Car

Contacts above are from the Avon website for USA dealers.

Default And the winner is....

Thanks to all for your feedback on this issue. I'm going to try a set of the Hoosier http://www.racetires.com/shop/45110-...-car-dot-bias/ and test them at Hallett. With the problems in Japan it looks like there may be some delay in the Toyo tire which also was being considered (from Frisbee). Stay tuned and I'll let you know what the results are with the test.

April at Hallett can bring beautiful Spring weather or ice, snow or rain. Let the sun shine!
    "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest!" Mark Twain

Liked: 5

Default Purchased FF ACB9s

I was at VIR last weekend and got a set of Avon ACB9s. I ran them for one session to get a heat cycle and put them away for the weekend. The sizes were:

5.0/22.0-13
    6.5/23.0-13

These were stamped FF which I was told that they should be a similar compound to the Dunlop CR82 tires. My next race is in Sept do I'll probably do the early practice on the Dunlops and the change over to the Avons.
    Scott Nettleship
    1981 Crossle 45F

Default Hoosiers

I ran a set of the Hoosiers for a full weekend at Hallett including a 30 minute FF Feature plus a Friday test and tune, and they really held up great. It seemed that the tire has a stronger side wall with little or no roll in the corners, with good grip...in fact as good as or a little more manageable than the Dunlops. I did have to reset my ride height due to a smaller diameter tire in the front.

I used the same set at Eagle Canyon in May after flipping the rears and found that the grip was consistant and good. These tires are as good as the Dunlops, if not better. There is still good tread, even wear, and fingernail softness in the tire surface after several heat cycles.

They are good for another full weekend if not more. Our next event is the Fall Festival at RA and I plan to run them there. It'll be interesting how they hold up on the long track.

We'll keep you posted.

Liked: 2

Default Vintage FF tire update

A little more information for those dealing with the unavailability of Dunlop tires: Conversation with the nice folks at Roger Kraus reveals that Avon has produced an updated ACB9. Forum posts have noted the ACB9 was slightly softer, faster, and did not last as long as the Dunlop. Those were ACB9s in the A25 & A24 compounds. Now Avon has the ACB9 in a A29 compound, which they claim matches the Dunlop in all characteristics and parameters. My Dunlops are toast, so I'm going to try these out, and see if that's true. To be continued.

Looking down the road though, this could open a small can of worms. If Dunlop is out of there, and Avons start showing up regularly, are clubs going to need to mandate or check tire compounds, assuming Avon continues to produce all 3 compounds. Something not required with the single compound Dunlop. Just thinking out loud.

Meanwhile, no word from Dunlop

Liked: 5

There is a thread with a comparison of Avon ACB9 and the Dunlops
    http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46924
    Last edited by snettleship; 07.13.11 at 7:09 PM. Reason: fix URL
    Scott Nettleship
    1981 Crossle 45F

Thread Information