Liked: 0

Default Looking for some discussion about the DFV

I am looking for someone willing to share their technical wisdom regarding the Cosworth DFV. I am doing some historical research and seeking clarification on a few points.

If anyone is interested, let me know?

thanks
    Last edited by smbrm; 03.03.11 at 11:41 AM.

Liked: 22

Default Cosworth DFV info

Suggest you contact Phil Reilly at Phil Reilly & Co., www.philreillycompany.com . He is well-regarded as the expert on rebuilds of DFV's, and used by most if not all the vintage F1 racers. His shop is at Sears Pt., and while I've never personally met him, I understand he's a great guy. Good luck with your research.

DaveZ

Thanks Dave I have tried contacting Reilly via email, but unfortunately they do not seem to want to even to acknowledge the email!

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

There are several engine gurus that are capable of discussing the DFV at any level. One issue is that each is running a business. Bob Slade, Phil, Chuck Cornelison, and several of the upper end prep shops. Just what exactly are you looking for?
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Banned

the DFV went through various spec change sover the years form 1967 Zandvoort 450 bhp spec to 1984 flat floor hiogh revving short stroke slim line pump 500+ bhp spec
    after F1 went turbo 1.5 litre motors the DFV was then fitted to F3000 cars with electronic fuel injection whilst the F1 spec was mechanical injection
    there is high and low sumps various types of oil water pumps flywheels
    long stroke short stroke motors narrow journal cranks pistons valve sizes

I have taken the decision NOT to want to know about them and leave it for the engine shop guys to deal with

Dont forget the cosworth engine was also made into DFX DFS Indy turbo motors 3.3 DFL & 3.5 DFZ DFZ F1 motors all form teh same block sump head cam carrier castings

IF you own a DFV take it to a DFV builder and let him deal with it
    If it was easy girls would be doing it and we could all stand back and watch!

I am sure the various vintage F1 preparation folk are really busy. I can fully understand why they may not have time for questions especially at this time of year preparing for the new season. Thanks again for the good suggestion DaveZ. I will have to be patient in pursuing your suggested route, which is not a problem.

Thank you Chuck for your suggestions and the follow up PM's. The ball has been pushed forward a little, which is always positive.

PrestonParke: I wish I owned a DFV that I could send in for repair! Well, I do, its just they are all 1/20 or 1/12 scale! I probably should have mentioned that the info I am seeking is for scale modelling projects. Appreciate the info

I was checking first to see if this forum was frequented by anyone knowledgeable in this area, so I do appreciate all the response so far.

Anyway thanks for the replies, and info.
    Last edited by smbrm; 03.05.11 at 5:18 PM.

Thread Information