Contributing Member Robert J. Alder's Avatar
    Liked: 301

Default Toly Arutunoff seriously injured

[From Bob Green of CVAR]

An old racer known to many and more than a few VMC guys, Toly Arutunoff was seriously injured on Monday in a traffic accident in Amarillo, Texas. Toly raced with the biggest names of the 1950 and 1960 time and built Hallett Motor Speedway.

Toly had stopped to assist another driver who had spun on the snow and ice on I-40 in Amarillo. He was struck by another car (that did not stop) and suffered a traumatic amputation of his right leg and multiple fractures of his left leg along with other injuries. The only reason that he did not bleed to death was the extremely cold conditions at the time. He is in grave condition at an Amarillo hospital.

Bob Green
    CVAR

Liked: 492

That's so sad to hear. He is one of the good guys!
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

Contributing Member Ken Lawrence's Avatar
    Liked: 53

Default Toly

Posted by his wife last night

"Through the help, kindness and willingness of many, Toly is being life-flighted tomorrow from Amarillo to the OU Medical Center in OK City where a team of orthopedic trauma surgeons awaits. Among them is the premier prosthesis doctor and Olympic team doctor. We have hope. We have prayers. They guide us to these decisions and truly order our steps. Thank you all. Karen"

Liked: 950

Default Further news

From wife Karen's facebook page:

"Prayers=Miracles, God's way of saying I'm here and I love all my
    children as if each was an only child. I have now spoken with the attending physician and the good news is Toly is stable, talking. His right leg is gone and his left is shattered. They have not attended to the left leg in light of the trauma of the accident. They are keeping a close eye on him for any changes in intensive care as it has only
    been a matter of hours since the accident and he has multiple injuries. His blood pressure is good, pulse good, kidneys not good.

Seems he was parked on the side of I40 in Amarillo in the blizzard helping a man whose car had spun out and was stuck. Another car came along and T-boned an exposed Toly and drove off. Because of the cold the blood loss was not as severe as it could have/should have been.

The leg was instantly gone. The only surgery that was performed was to close the wound. Amarillo is closed for business due to the blizzard but a prayer team from a church in Texas is going to the trauma center to be with him. Another Amarillo angel is going to Best Buy and getting a cell phone so I can speak to him. He thinks I am his
    girlfriend. Can't remember being married when questioned. I have chosen to be flattered. This is long road we are on but I will get to Amarillo w Trace as soon as the weather allows. God has already gotten us this far. I know he will take us the rest of the way. Bless you all. Your prayers produce miracles. Please don't stop!"
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 1

I have always held Mr. Aruntunoff in the highest esteem for building Hallett. It is my favorite track and was the site of my first ever SCCA race. I remember him running a british sports car with timber frame members, can't remember the marque though.

His speedy recovery will be the focus of my thoughts and prayers.

Robert Windle
    Robert

Liked: 0

I've raced against Anatolly in his HP Morgan and HP Opel GT. Also on track backwards at Hallet when he was in a RX7. Best wishes and please keep posting.

Bob, thanks for the update.

My father and Toly went to high school together, and I heard many crazy stories about him. My father went to his grave saying Toly owed him money from the promotion of the Petite Prix in Oklahoma City back in the early 60's but at the same time saying he was the most fun guy to work with. I last saw Toly at an SCCA race at TWS running an Opel GT (go figure, he runs a Morgan and a Lancia Stratos). I introduced myself and I think he thought I was my father and was looking for an exit until I told him who I actually was. He seemed relieved and we had a great conversation.
    He is the reason Hallett MRC exists, and I have spent many a great time there since its' inception in 1976.
    I pray for his speedy recovery, and hope to run into him again. He is one of the reasons sports car racing still exists in this country.

Liked: 25

Default Good News and Address for Cards

As noted above, Toly's wife, Karen, has been posting updates on her Facebook page. These have been transmitted to those of us not on Facebook through friends. Via John Gardner to Mark Weber to Bob Lembcke - Saturday's update from Karen with an address for cards and some good news:

"Toly has been moved from ICU to a floor! YAY!! His location is:

Anatoly Arutunoff
    OU Med Center-Presbyterian
    700 NE 13th St
    Room 520
    Oklahoma City, OK 73104

Please check w me before coming to visit. Many thanx dear friends, Karen"
    [FONT=tahoma][/FONT]
    [FONT=tahoma][From John or Karen] Also, here's an article on/tribute to Toly from a Tulsa TV station][/FONT]

http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=14015212

- Frank C

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Teaching for Skip.
    Spent a month in Oklahoma in a Rt 66 style motel sorta near Hallet [in 2 weeks !] Best part was Skips assistant Louise Richardson calling and telling us we had to stay there another week due to demand ].
    Most memorable thing ?
    Aside from fried bologna ?
    Cocktails on the third floor of the Hallet tower with Toly.
    Several nights in a row.
    Maybe a week or so....
    A true original, one of a kind, they broke the mold individual...

Liked: 3787

I think the fact that he was stopped in a blizzard helping a stranger about sums up who Toly is.

Liked: 2

Default Toly

I remember being at Sebring in the late '80's. Tracy (Rand) might remember this story. I was walking with Tracy in the paddock and I found a wallet. It was Toly's. Tracy and I hunted him down to return it. I had known Toly by name for years but had never met him. We had a good laugh about the wallet and went our separate ways.

I am saddened to hear of the tragic event that has caused so much damage and pain to Toly and his extended family. He has supported road racing for longer than most of us can remember.

Prayers and good wishes to Toly and his family.

Mike Allison

Any update on Toly?
    Have not been on Apex for some time so only now find this bad news.

Last time I talked to Toly was apparently same TWS weekend as jarrienn.
    Was doin good for old fart.

Dad drove FB when Anatoly was dong the FC thing in SWDiv.
    I think both won Div champ for class several years in a row late 60s early 70s.

One of these days I need to do something with Tolys FC ride.
    Just sits there looking pretty these days.
    Recent Picture of Toly's FC ride.
    Note tall roll hoop!

Good Luck Toly!

David

Liked: 1880

Karens Facebook page: www.facebook.com/karen.arutunoff.

No news there, but from another link, it looks like he got a prosthetic leg back in April and is doing OK.

Thread Information