Liked: 0

Default information on 71 Winklemann Palliser FF

Does anyone have any information on a Winklemann Palliser 1971 Formula Ford. I have an opportunity to purchase a roller that is completely taken apart. I can get the car for around $4000. Is this a good deal. Are parts hard to find. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Don

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1486

Is this the WDF-4 on race-cars.com?

It's a pretty straight forward design with most of the bits available from our usual suppliers. I don't believe there nearly as many WDF-4s made as the -1s and 2s.

Marc Crocetti out here on the left coast has a WDF-3, which is a very similar FB car converted to AC FSV. There's a guy in colorado that has another one. I believe the only big supply issues are rear uprights and bodywork. All the suspension stuff is easily re-created, but unless there's a secret stash of winkleman stuff out there it probably has to be fabricated.

I don't see a gearbox in that pile of parts, and the engine bits listed are stock. IMHO, $4K is a lot without at least a gearbox.

I bought a car in similar condition. My guess is it will take another $10K to get it on the track.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default Early FFs

I don't know about the Winkleman, but most of the early FFs used off-the-shelf components, which makes them relatively inexpensive to restore (compared to newer cars with unique castings and fabricated pieces). For most car, the hard-to-find part is a rear upright. Next is the fiberglass, which can be incredibly expensive--if you can find it!

The earlier estimate of $10K is a good ballpark number. Figure that you'll need a fuel cell, all new rod ends, bearings, hydraulic cylinders, and a couple hundred man-hours, and you'll be there! Don't undertake the project as a potential money-maker! Do it only if you like the idea of restoring your own car.

...and if the gearbox is missing, budget $3,000 for a replacement. There are enough other posts that cover the cost of things such as engine overhaul, clutches, machining, etc.

Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    Larry Oliver

Thread Information