Liked: 0

Default An open apology..

I humbly apologize to any and everyone that was affected by the freakish chain of events that occurred at the SOLO Nationals. Both I and my co-driver were devasted. I can only say, in my own defense, that I have never had this happen nor have I ever heard of such a thing happening to anyone in all my years of racing Vee/s.
    I understand that words will never console those that were impacted negatively just as they will never fully relieve my embarrassment for the occurrence.

I know this is being addressed by the SEB but I have also sent a message asking for bolt-on valve covers to be mandated. I have also asked for the F1st dry sump system to be implemented as this was suggested and would be supported by Jim Murphy to eliminate the possibility of other oil leaks.

Sincerely,

Johnny B.

Liked: 11

Welcome to Apex Johnny.

Sounds like you had a failure that resulted in an oil loss?

FWIW, if that is the case everyone knows that engine failures, crashes, etc are part of racing. Stuff happens.
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

That is one thing and can be expected. What happened to me is almost unbelievable! The first day I spun and hit a cone sideways as I was almost stopped. Unbeknownst to me, it had knocked the valve cover bail loose and it eventually let the cover drop down and sprayed about a third of the track with oil. If that wasn't bad enough, it started misting rain just as they were finishing with the cleanup.
    Most everyone got over that incident and we started over one the second. I had taken the time to wire the bails on the covers from the intakes as they come off in the downward direction. Well my co-driver goes out and clips a cone and the damn thing gets knocked off again! This time it oils 7/8's of the course.
    He and I were beside ourselves with astonishment and embarrassment! I felt terrible about it as it is my car!
    It will never happen again as I am sure that the MAC will be mandating bolt-on covers for the future...

Liked: 49

Wow.. I've heard of some people preferring the bolt on covers due to the risk of someone's wheel getting in there and knocking the bail off while road racing, but a cone? And twice? Man, that's some luck! Have you tried the lottery this week?

You're telling me? I'm still hoping that I awake from some crazy nightmare....

Liked: 121

I had bolt on covers on my FSV years ago and the silly things rattled loose all the time. I ended up changing over to the original bail type. If I had to do it over, I'd keep the bolt on method but with an additional safety method to prevent loosening. Safety wire would not have been the first choice simply due to the desire to keep up with the valve train between sessions. I'd do something quicker and easier like wheel nut safety pins or something. My 2 cents.

Thread Information