Liked: 0

Default Lola T44 oil level

Hi Guys ,
    what is the normal oil level in a standard oil tank , the triangle type behind the seat for the T440 , 340,342 etc.
    Regards Ian Staples

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Ian;

I looked through my original three page Lola T-440 brochure as well as all the Lola assembly/parts list drawings, and there is no mention of oil level. But if I recall correctly, 5 quarts should be fine.

Iverson

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

When I had a Lola with that tank, we just filled it so that with the engine idling, the oil was about 2" below the top.

Never ran low on oil and that was pretty close to where it would start to puke any excess.

Liked: 29

Default fill 'er up please

Might I suggest filling just below the baffle with the motor idling and hot oil.

That would be in the neighborhood of 4 to 4.5 quarts in the tank with the motor running.
    The baffle is in a "V" shape with a hole at the bottom. Use a small flashlite.

Default oil level

Hi guys ,
    Thanks for the replys, I had filled it to just below the baffle , my thinking was that the returning iol would run down the baffle and trough the hole de-airating itself on the way . on my first outing on our amazing new Hampton Downs track here in New Zealand I had the oil pressure drop for a second . This track has a reputation for oil surge as it has some long corners . I filled the tank to just over the baffle and had no more problems but there is obviosly a big difference it the levels people run. . I look forward to hearing others opinions.
    Reagards Ian

Liked: 141

Quote Originally Posted by ian Staples View Post
    I had filled it to just below the baffle , my thinking was that the returning iol would run down the baffle and trough the hole de-airating itself on the way.
    I think you will find that most of the de-aeration occurs where the returning oil is sprayed on to the flat surface inside the tank - from small holes in the return tube. Isn't the V-shaped baffle just to stop lateral G slop? I have that tank in my T460 (Atlantic) and the original pro owner-driver extended the top about 5". Since I can carry more oil I do! Well above the V baffle - about 8 quarts. No problem with foaming. YMMV.

Maybe your problem was that you were using iol instead of oil - is this a Kiwi trick?

Liked: 29

""""""""Maybe your problem was that you were using iol instead of oil - is this a Kiwi trick?""""""

Could be also that everything is back to front "down there"........just like water in the flush toilet; the iol might be going upward.

Default iol

Hi Guys ,
    I did this on spelling mistake on purpose just to see if any of you Yanks can actually spell .
    Looks like I need to raise the OIL level in the tank.
    If you would like to see the water running down the drain the proper way why don't you guys come down to the Chris Amon festival in january. I'm sure you will get looked after very well
    Regards Ian

My T440 requires 7 quarts.

Thread Information