Liked: 0

Default sourcing a Hewland 'box...

I feel like I'm looking for the holy grail, I need a Hewland setup that I can bolt to a 2-liter BMW mill...

where does someone go to find something like this??? ebay? no. race-cars.com? no. here? no.

I'm about ready to buy a car and just steal the bloody thing off of it! yeesh...

any ideas on good used sources?

/rant.

car is a Lotus 23, btw.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Liked: 123

Speaking as a man who has one ( a BMW 2 litre bolted to a Hewland), a MK 9 with MK5 gears is fine. If you can find one with MK5 gears, good, but any Mk9 can be upgraded to MK5 with a new layshaft and gears. 4 or 5 speed. Bell housings are available, but I made mine (happen to own a Bridgeport mill, so there you go) and I used a quite small flywheel (same diameter and ring-gear as a F3 or Formula Junior Ford engine, actually a BMC Midget ring gear) and make a custom starter motor.

My BMW is based on the M10 engine out of a 1972 2002 model car. PM me, I can tell you more about what I did if you think it would be useful. I made a custom drysump for it, twin weber 45 dcoe's, it's kind of cool.

Brian

Liked: 123

Given that I just noticed you have a Lotus 23, you can do the MK5 conversion to a MK4 box as well, but I would actually try to find a MK8 so that you can put the rubber donut output shafts on it, if you are interested in it looking vintage correct. If you don't care about looks, a MK 9 with CV joints is the stronger way to go, but rubber joints are fine too.

I had a Merlyn Mk6 from 1965 with a MK5 gearbox in it, so totally period correct.

Brian

Liked: 0

thanks again, I emailed you...

rules state I have to use donuts...
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Thread Information