Liked: 3

Default which vintage formula ford?

I was curious if one was to get into vintage formula fords wich chassis would one get? Wich chassis has the most available parts? I am thinking a few years down the road I would like to sell one the FF's in the garage and get a nice vintage ford. I am leaning towards a crossle if I go this route, but I am open to anything!Just keeping my eyes open in case I run across a basket case or something I just can't pass up.

Thanks for input!

Default Which vintage FF

Andrew:

Titan Mk6

Cindy

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default Good candidates

I own a Titan Mk 6, and specifically hunted it down. There are several--if not many--other good, competitive choices. Crossle, Merlyn and Caldwell come to mind. I have also owned a Lotus 51 and 61, but primarily for their aesthetics. Having said that, a good driver can manage to make a 51 competitive.

I'm still sorry I missed out on the Caldwell D-9! It was a beautiful design, and importantly to me, an American design.

One tremendous advantage with the Titan is the availability of spare parts through Andy Antipas. Many of the bits are off-the-shelf or easily fabricated, but if you don't like to weld or spend hours searching, Andy is a wonderful resource! He even had a steering rack clamp, which is a cast piece that I managed to lose during the rebuild process. It would have taken me4 hours to find the materials and create a new piece, but thanks to Andy it only cost me about $50 instead!

Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    Larry Oliver

Liked: 14

titan MK6 as said above, also a crossle 30-40 series car
    the crossle is a competive chassis for club ford, and parts are a simple phone call away from porter racing.
    both chassis are roomy in the cockpit as well.

Contributing Member Jonathan Hirst's Avatar
    Liked: 4

I understand a Crossle 16f is cleaning up in the NW vintage scene these days. A 20f is also a great car. Great cars and easy to drive. All the parts are off the shelf as well as previously mentioned.

Jonathan
    ---------------------------------
    Ferret Industries Archival site
    Ferret Industries on Facebook
    Basement Bookshelf FF/CF Scanned article Archive

Liked: 0

Default Best Vintage Ford

For anywhere other than Road America (where the Titans are unbeatable due to their small frontal area) I believe a Lotus 69 is the car to have in 1972 and before FF. The cars are rare and expensive unfortunately (only 19 genuine ones made) but at a tight twisty track I am convinced the super stiff ex F3 chassis 69 is the way to go.

Liked: 162

Titan Mk 6's are good for sure, but there are others worth looking at, LOL. Here in Colorado, Winklemann (a.k.a. Palliser) cars are very competitive, as are Lola T-200/202/204 series, and both marques have a good parts network. Merlyn and Crossle have good parts availability as well, so it's largely a matter of preference. Find the cars that fit your body type first, then go shopping. As far as parts availability, I'd guess that Titan, Lola and Crossle are the top three.

Liked: 492

Titan Mk-6. I don't think any Lotus 51 can stay even close to a Titan Mk-6 equally driven and prepared.
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default Before FF?

I believe a Lotus 69 is the car to have in 1972 and before FF.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

What? Are you trying to say (erroneously) that FF wasn't around until or after 1972?
    FF was races as a regional class in 1968. I think it became a national class in '69, but it might have been '70.

Larry Oliver
    Larry Oliver

Default Before FF

Not at all; I was referring to the fact that many vintage groups consider vintage to be 1972 or older and with that restriction the Titan Mk6 and the Lotus 69 are certainly top choices. Having said that a great driver will do well in almost any FF; there was a guy called Paul Sleeman in the UK who won a national championshiop in a Rostron. Hands up if you have even heard of a Rostron!

Liked: 186

Quote Originally Posted by dpchamp87 View Post
    Having said that a great driver will do well in almost any FF;
    Vintage FF is a drivers class. pick the chassis that like for whatever reason (history, asthetics, comfort) and have fun. Just about any well prepared vintage FF with a good drier will do well. Also, since many vintage clubs accept club fords (through 1980, outboard susp at least one end), you may be able to consider a broader range of FFs.

Doug Meis
    1974 Lola T340

Liked: 162

Rostrons are great cars, so are Chinooks, but the support network for either is pretty scarce. The point is, nearly any chassis can be set up and driven competitively--take a look at CVAR results to see how competitive a Lotus 51 can be. RMVR has a competitive VFF group with a few well-prepared and well-driven Titans, but the guy with the bullseye on his back drives a Wink WDF1. Before him, it was a Lola T200. Go figure. Choose the car that fits you well and trips your trigger, then go make it work.

Thanks guys. I was curious for future reference. I just wanted an idea of whats out there and what chassis are easy to get parts for if there was a mishap on track. I have been to a half a dozen of vintage events and I really like the laid back atmosphere and most drivers are more concerned about getting the cars back in the trailer in one piece at the end of the day, wich is a big plus with me.

Andrew

later Gord
    BTW...only toilets need doors
    www.blurredvisionracing.com

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

To be "vintage" most clubs require the car model to be built 1972 or earlier. Which excludes Titan Mk 6c. "a" or "b" is o.k. The Crossle' models newer than 20f are excluded. Therefore Crossle models 30+ as mentioned earlier are excluded. Best you review the vintage FF rules of the club that you intended to race with prior to furthering your search for your "vintage" FF.

Quote Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
    To be "vintage" most clubs require the car model to be built 1972 or earlier. Which excludes Titan Mk 6c. "a" or "b" is o.k. The Crossle' models newer than 20f are excluded. Therefore Crossle models 30+ as mentioned earlier are excluded. Best you review the vintage FF rules of the club that you intended to race with prior to furthering your search for your "vintage" FF.
    Depends entirely on where and with which clubs you intend to race. On the East Coast MOST clubs & events (VDCA, SVRA, VRG) accept Club Fords and you are not limited to '72 or earlier. Might be different in your neck of the woods.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

THUNDERRACING91 was interested in "vintage" FF NOT club fords. I think that I covered my arse when I encouraged him to check the rules of the club with whom he wishes to race. The Vintage Motorsports Council (VMC) when referring to "vintage" includes only FF that are pre-1973. From their guide: "The philosophy that 'the car is the star' sets vintage motor racing apart from any other type of competitive motor sports.

THUNDERRACING91 was interested in "vintage" FF NOT club fords. I think that I covered my arse when I encouraged him to check the rules of the club with whom he wishes to race. The Vintage Motorsports Council (VMC) when referring to "vintage" includes only FF that are pre-1973. From their guide: "The philosophy that 'the car is the star' sets vintage motor racing apart from any other type of competitive motor sports.
    Albatross: I certainly did not mean to offend. There had been some discussion previously in the thread about CF as an option. I noted your location (WA) and I was just pointing out that you can race a CF in most vintage events on the East coast. Technically, you are 100% correct - to be a "vintage" FF, most (if not all) clubs recognize '72 and earlier.

Default Not so fast buckaroo!

In 1976, I traveled from S. California to Road Atlanta for the run-offs. I crewed for one of two Formula Fords that went that year. One of them won the National Championship...Dennis Firestone in a Crossle 32. Within the last year he's been consistently running "vintage" in and around S. California...in a Crossle 32.

Liked: 492

He's running a Club Ford, with a Vintage group. There are Vintage Fords and Club Fords running together in the same race group.
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

Quote Originally Posted by Roland V. Johnson View Post
    He's running a Club Ford, with a Vintage group. There are Vintage Fords and Club Fords running together in the same race group.
    Thanks for the clarification. BTW, your car which is for sale is beautiful. I'm sure you will get your price. It's not in my budget these days or I'd have it.

And to show you I'm not biased toward Crossles, I drove my Titan Mk4 when it was almost new. But, man, those Crossles were fast in the mid-70s.

Ed

Thread Information