Liked: 0

Default value of lotus 51

I may have the location of an old lotus 51 formula ford and was trying to find out if anyone knows what they are approximately worth? Any leads, guys?

Liked: 309

Peter, I did an advanced search on this website with these results: Lotus 51

In case that doesn't work, click the Search link up in the header bar, then select "advanced search"; check the "search titles only", enter 'lotus 51' (no quotes) and click the search button. I got lots of hits. Read them and you should have an idea.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 0

I just purchased one in January. Contact me offline and we'll compare notes (lparrotta@epix.net).

Liked: 4

Default Condition

Clearly it depends on the condition and your intended use. If you want to race, you will want a car with a Hewland instead of the Renault gearbox.

Paul

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default Valule of Lotus 51

Your best bet is to look at the existing cars on the market, and then figure what it would cost to bring your "find" up to date. I don't follow this market closely, but I'm sure you could find a really nice 51 for $25K. As mentioned, the Renault gearbox detracts from value. If your "find" has been sitting for years, then you'll need to price an overhaul as well as a lot of miscellaneous things such as master cylinders, belts, etc. If it's REALLY been hidden, it will need to be upgraded with a fuel cell.

Best rule of thumb is to take all of your estimates and then double them.

There are guys who like to restore cars, and there are guys who like to race. Don't delude yourself into thinking that you can restore a car yourself to save money. That's usually not the case when compared to cars already on the market.

Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    Larry Oliver

Thread Information