Thread: vintage Zink c4

Liked: 0

Default vintage Zink c4

Hi folks,

I have a lead on a much modified zink C4 (Z4?) but it's missing all of the rear body work (plus about 90% of everything else but most of that I have or can recreate).
    I'm still fence sitting on wether to buy this basket case or not and the availability of the rear body work is a big thing for me. Does anybody out there have an unmolested rear cover or, even better, is someone out there willing to let me splash a mould of their body work?

Andy

Liked: 6

Default Vintage Zink C-4

Andy,

I'm restoring a Z-5 also. I believe the cars made by Ed Zink were called Z-5, later versions produced by Citation were called C-4. I'm having a terrible time getting bodywork also. I have contacted a friend of mine to produce bodywork molds. I will let you know if we end up actually making them.

Don

Liked: 190

Dave Kazmierczak (sp?) of Falcon Racing in South Bend has a full set of original body style Zink C-4/Z-5 molds. I'm sure somebody here has contact info for Dave.
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Liked: 3

P.M. sent to both Andy and Don. Good luck with your projects.

Dave

Liked: 113

Default Zink Tail

We have had less than good luck with getting any response out of Dave K. lately. There are still some existing parts around - but they are getting few and far between.
    Mark Silverberg - SE Michigan
    Lynx B FV & Royale RP3 FF
    240Z Vintage Production Car
    PCR, Kosmic CRG & Birel karts

Liked: 190

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Silverberg View Post
    "less than good luck with getting any response"
    Yep, I was afraid of that. Dave use to build really high quality stuff at reasonable prices. I think he has gone in a different direction with his hobby life.
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Steve Lathrop still has the molds. I believe he will lay up your body panels.

lathropdad@att.net

As far as making your own molds the rear tranny cover is the bottom 1/2 of the nose. You could pull a mold off of the nose if it is in good condition.

Good Luck,
    Neil

Default interesting note about the tail cover..

That's a cool thing to know about the tail section. I owned a couple of Zinks, back in the day and wasn't aware of that.

What about the mold for the "Daytona Tail"? Does Steve L. still have one for that? I know we had those tails for my cars and used it at both Road Atlanta and Daytona.

I never inquired about a Daytona or Speedway tail as I have heard it described. That said, he may be your best bet.
    If I fully understand the chain of events Steve purchased Zink in the early 70's and still has all the old molds.
    When I bought my engine cover from him he indicated he could make any body panels I wanted.
    The company goes by - http://icpcitation.com/index.htm

I'll be interested to hear how you make out.
    Neil

Default unfortunately, I don't still have the Zink.

So, I won't be contacting Steve to see if he has anything.

He may happen upon this thread and make a comment (we hope)

Just got a phone call from Dave Kazmierczak, the original source for Zink body panels. He is getting ready to start up production in the next week or so and is actively taking orders. So it looks as if this thread has a very positive ending.
    Contact Dave at 574-289-7223

Default zink tail

Guys,

Great info in all this, thanks a bunch.
    I'll call Dave and see what all this will cost and that'll be the deciding factor in weather I'll pursue this car further or not.
    The problem I have is that the prices I see a reasonable car go for really makes it un attractive to spend a lot of money (and time) on a basket case.

I've never heard of a "Daytona" or "Speedway" tail. Does anybody have a picture of that (or a good description)?
    The car I'm looking at does have a long, louvered engine cover with it (and it has that cover in the log book photo from 1972) but it seems too narrow to fit over the fan shroud.

Thanks,

Andy

Default "Daytona " tail

The "Daytona" tail is a fairly big (for a Vee) piece of bodywork that enclosed the transmission and went to the bottom frame rear bulkhead. It continued the line of the main body as it got wider from the front of the chassis to the rear. When you used the Daytona tail, you did not use the standard tail. The fan shroud cover mounted to the tail in the same fashion, so no need for a differrent top rear fan cover.

It was a good item to have back then, since most of the Vees were much wider and less aero than today's cars.

The main problem was that it didn't allow the heat from the exhaust to exit efficiently, so during the summer engine oil temps could get way high.

Default Daytona Tail

Hi Folks:
    New to this forum.
    Been racing with SOVREN (vintage vee) in the Pacific Northwest for 7 years.
    Have 1968 Zink with Daytona Tail.
    Glad to send photos. Not sure if I can post them here.
    Best,
    Dick T.
    Portland, OR
    rht56@aol.com

Thread Information