Liked: 8

Default Titan MK6A-C differences

Does anyone know the actual differences between the MK6A-C models. I am mainly interested in the differences between the MK6A and B. Thanks.

Liked: 610

Default Titan Mk6 A-C

As I recall, body work. Mk6 had one piece main body which included the nose section, the B had them separated. Tail section being the same for both. C had different shape nose.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Contributing Member Michial Shumate's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Default Titan Registry

Go to www.titancars.com for the Titan Registry.

Andy can help with everything from info to parts

Michial

Contributing Member

Default Titan Mk 6C

The "C" had what was called the platypus nose. I don't think there were any differences in the chassis, but Andy Antipas at Titan Registry is probably the best source of info in the country!

Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    Larry Oliver

Liked: 492

As far as Titan was concerned, they were all Mk-6's. There was never a Mk-6C from the factory. The "C" designation was something someone in the U.S. thought of.
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

Default Titan Mk6

The factory never recognized Mk6 a, b, or c. Fred Opert and Pierre Phillips (the importers) created the a, b, and c thing to help boost sales. All Mk6s have identical chassis. All the suspension pieces interchange. The wheelbase, track, brakes, eveything mechanical were the same. The differences were in the bodywork. However, in 1970, the earliest Mk6 rollbars were not up to SCCA regulations and were removed and replaced with beefier ones. If you see Mk6 cars built in 1970, no two have the same shape rollbar. However, that is not to say some later year Mk6s have not had their rollbar replaced, but one can usually tell a factory rollbar from a replacement. There were also a handful of Mk6s built in 1969 for the big formula ford race at held in Daytona.

The bodywork evolved slowly over the 4+ years of production. The three most important and notable changes were in the rear portion of the cockpit, the wrap around airbox, and the shape of the nose. Around 1972, the area of the cockpit where one's shoulders touch were flared to provide more shoulder room. The wrap around airbox also appeared in 1972. Finally, the duckbill nose made its appearance in the UK in August 1972 (I have the photos to prove it). Others say that the two piece nose/cockpit surround came along around 1971, but I can not verify that. I also heard that when the uprated engines came out in 1971 that was used as an excuse to call the cars Mk6a, and I can not verify that either.

Over the years, almost all the cars have been modified or change, which is what happens with racecars. However, I can usually help with what is original and what is not. I hope this helps, and please feel free to send me your questions.

Best regards,

Andy

Liked: 123

For some obscure reason, the Monoposto Register recognizes the 6A and the 6B as pre-1972 eligible, but not the 6C. One reason for a fuss about differences, comes back regularly.

Brian

Default Mk6 years of production and vintage eligibility

Clubs like MR draw lines in eligibility years where they feel it is appropriate. Titan built around 300 Mk6s between late 1969 and early 1974. The vast majority of Mk6 production came to North America. Very few Titans stayed in the UK. The vintage FF cutoff is typically considered 1972 and earlier. Mk6s were built through 1973 and it is believed a few were built in 1974. All the production records were thrown away a long time ago. Most believe that the duckbill nose equipped Mk6 ("aka" Mk6c) was a 1973 feature. That is the year Fred Opert and Pierre Phillips came out with what they marketed as the Mk6c. However, the duckbill appeared in England in August 1972. I know of some pre-1973 chassis Mk6s that currently use a duckbill nose. The owners prefer them. Does that make them an "a", "b", or "c"? Kinda gets crazy, and a little confusing, but I hope that helps?

Contributing Member

Default Monoposto

I knew Andy would have the right answer! He's the man when it comes to Titan!

Monoposto lists the 6B as through 1972, not pre-1972. 72 and earlier are eligible (per Monoposto) for vintage. Post 72 are not vintage. Don't ask me why, other than to limit the number of cars that are vintage eligible and to keep their prices up. I like the idea that some organizations are now accepting Club Fords as a class, and allowing them to run slicks.

These cars do have some quirks. I think Charles Lucas is the only one to use all RH threads on his linkages. As I make new pieces, I replace them with the standard, easily adjustable RH/LH-threaded links, but then I've always been a rebel. I even tear off the "Do not remove under penalty of law" labels on my pillows.

Larry Oliver
    Larry Oliver

Default Mk6 continued

Though it may sound crazy today, Roy Thomas made the decision to keep everything right hand thread on the suspension links. He felt it was a potential liability to have bits fall off the car if the novice owner forgot to tighten the jam nuts.... Right hand threads are certainly a PITA............ Owners were always free to change to left/right threads on their own as Larry has! Most titans are that way today.

I think the eligibility cut-off of 1972 is thought by most clubs to be a technology brake even though Mk6s didn't change through that period. Other marques started to introduce inboard rear brakes, side radiators, and other features some feel differentiate them from the first generation of formula fords. One could easily argue either side on some of it I think.

From where I sit, the price of vintage fords has dropped quite a lot. I think it is due to the poor economy and vintage clubs expanding eligibility to include club fords. The price of restoring most FF (vintage/club/contemporary) has exceeded their value (again), which has its advantages and disadvantages............

www.titancars.com

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

Default aroused

this thread has got me lusting for a pristine platypus nosed, wrap around airboxed lucas gold seal uprated Titan whatever!

throw in some Fred Opert decals for a killer vintage overdose

Contributing Member

Default Platypus nose

Personally, I think the platypus nose is butt-ugly! I much prefer the rounded nose, especially the nose that is separate from the rest of the upper body, as it makes life so much easier. I've got both noses, but no Fred Opert decal. What happened to his business? I've thought about adding an inventory of used race cars, but the turnover is so slow that you've got to have a serious mark-up, and I'm not convinced that it would turn into anything other than another tax write-off.

Larry Oliver
    Larry Oliver

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

Default Opert

last i heard.....long time ago...Opert was moving American Iron ( Firebird, Corvette, etc) in Europe

I'm not sure, but I thought Fred was importing fancy tuner Porsches. He used to have a website, but I haven't check it in years.

Thread Information