Thread: Bill Scott

Liked: 4

Default Bill Scott

EMRA www.emraracing.org is reporting Mr. Bill Scott has passed away. Services 12/10 at Trinity Episcopal Church, Upperville Va. Details to Follow.
    F.W. Schroeder, 6th

Liked: 0

Im sorry to hear of Mr. Scott's passing. He made Summit Point a safer, better track for all of us, and Im grateful that I was lucky enough to hear him speak at the FV 40th anniversary.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the Scotts

Steven McWilliams Jr
    SCCA WDCR
    Crew # 92 1986 Reynard SF2000
    Driver:# 92 1989 ITA Honda Civic Si

Liked: 4

Default Services

Wendnesday, December 9th:
    Visitation, 6:00 to 8:00 PM
    Royston Funeral Home
    106 E. Washington Street
    Middleburg, Va 20117
    540-687-5400

Thursday, December 10th:
    Funeral Services: 11:00 AM
    Trinity Episcopal Church
    9114 John S. Mosby Hwy
    Upperville, Va 20184
    540-592-3343
    F.W. Schroeder, 6th

Liked: 64

I am truly sorry to here of the passing of Bill Scott.I had the pleasure of hearing him speak at the 40th Formula Vee Race at Summit Point.He was a true racer and gave his heart and sole to to the sport we all love.My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and all who new him. Gods Speed Bill.
    Sincerly
    Tim Minor Fc88
    Tim Minor

Liked: 13

The Formula car community has lost a true HERO. Bill was not only a driving champion but a true believer in the formula car racing world. He was always promoting club racing for all and has done more at Summit Point Motorsports Park then most race circuits do for their customers. While we will miss him, I know he will be racing, free from pain, in all the Heavenly races and I bet he WINS!
    yours for the Sport, AJ

Default Bill Scott passes away

Bill Scott, open-wheel champion, racing school pioneer and Summit Point Raceway owner, died yesterday after a battle with cancer The following is from a local newspaper:

SUMMIT POINT, W.Va. — Bill Scott, the owner of Summit Point Motorsports Park and BSR Inc. and a 1970 Formula Vee world champion, died Monday, said Roger Lyle, a longtime friend and professional colleague.

Scott, 71, of Middleburg, Va., had been battling cancer, Lyle said. He is survived by his wife, Barbara, and children.

BSR Inc. — Bill Scott Racing Inc. — trained thousands of drivers in accident-avoidance techniques, including defensive driving and counter-terrorism tactics, Lyle said. Drivers trained through BSR included those for government agencies such as the U.S. Air Force, CIA, State Department, state police, Secret Service and diplomatic agencies, Lyle said.

“Bill was a good man. He was a tough man. On the racetrack and off the racetrack he was hard to beat. He was down-to-earth,” said Lyle, of Hagerstown.

Lyle is president emeritus of the Mid-Atlantic Road Racing Club, a motorcycle racing club based at Summit Point Raceway.

“He was a family man, a big family man,” Lyle said.

Word was spreading through the racing community, with posts at RoadRacingWorld.com and Dorkiphus.net, a site for regional Porschephiles.

Lyle said Scott had a collection of vintage Porsche tractors.

Scott was a driver in the Sports Car Club of America in the late 1950s and 1960s, racing open-wheeled Volkswagen bugs that had been turned into race cars, Lyle said. He competed in a national series and in Europe, where Scott earned the title of Formula Vee world champion in 1970.

During the 1970s, Scott turned to training drivers, Lyle said. The Air Force was losing drivers in missions overseas as they were driving generals and diplomats, Lyle said. So Scott devised a training program for government agency drivers.

In 1980, Scott bought Summit Point Raceway. Now a motorsports park, it has four tracks.

BSR Inc., the driver-training business, has expanded over the years and now encompasses 715 acres, according to BSR Inc.’s Web site.

In addition to racing and training drivers, Scott started a gourmet apple orchard at Summit Point around 1980, Lyle said. He would ship the apples around the country. The orchard was plowed under about three years ago to make way for the Summit Point training campus.

During the last few years, Scott had taken to listening and compiling music on CDs he would give to his friends, Lyle said.

“He had bad hearing from a racing accident. Then got a new hearing aid recently and all the sudden he can enjoy music again,” Lyle said.

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 502

RIP Bill Scott

Liked: 5

Default RIP

I am honored to have met Mr. Scott last year at Shenandoah when he came to one of our events. I know he paved many ways before me. I hope the rest of us can keep it alive for his childrens children and so on!
    Dani

#24 1977 Lola T440
    New York
    FRCCA Metro Region

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy ****...what a ride!"

Its not the speed, its the sudden stop....

Liked: 3787

GT1Vette and I watched Bill win at Road Atlanta in 1970.

In 1974 I was struggling to configure spacers for a modified VW front end on my Solo special. Someone said to call Bill Scott. This was in an era of rotary phones and long distance charges of the likes of $1.00 per minute and then only operator assisted.

I called Bill and explained the problem. He didn't know me from dirt, but gladly helped. Sent two brass spacers immediately, not waiting for my check.

He has always been one of my heroes.

RIP and Godspeed.

Liked: 43

Rest in peace, Bill. I was lucky enough to train at Bill Scott Racing School at Summit Point in 1976. A friend and I flew out in March and spent two days with Bill. We were already experienced drivers, so we dispensed with the usual beginner stuff, and spent our time on things like threshhold braking, trail braking, race strategy, etc. Bill was always adament about consistency-do everything exactly the same way, on the limit, lap after lap. He would send us out for five laps, and time the middle three. If we weren't well within a half second for all three, we got a talking to. He was a terrific instructor and a very fun, down to earth guy.

Bill lived in D.C., so we would drive out to the track in a showroom stock Pinto, and Bill would hold forth on driver strategy as well as a host of wonderful car prep info. My friend and I both had Zink formula vee's, so Bill was a natural choice for us (he won the 1968 ARRC at Riverside in a Zink). It turned out to be a great decision, and I've never forgotten the experience.

The racing world has lost one of the good guys...

Tom

Default meeting the man....

and i didnt even know it at the time. Many years ago I sat at a picnic table & struck up a conversation with " a nice gray haired gentleman" We talked about the improvements that had been happening at the track like the new pavement & a couple of new buildings. We talked about roumors of other things to come & that "Bill" had a dream of building a hotel on the grounds. He picked my brain about what I liked & didnt like at the track. We talked for about an hour. He never let on to who he was. He had as many questions about the track as I had. I am sure he did this to alot of people to get simple honest grass root opinions about his track. I have raced for over 20 years now, & have enjoyed almost every facility in the NE. Summit isnt the cleanest, the fanciest or any thing else like that. But I have watched it grow & it has always been with grass roots racing as it's main focus. He loved us like his own kids & everything he did at that track was to make sure we had more fun & did it safely! I have never felt more comfortable or welcomed at any other track! He was a great man & he will be missed. I have yet to meet his son, but hearing the same great accolades about him. He has some huge shoes to fill which I am sure his father will watch proudly as he follows in his footsteps.
    Stephen

Hard at Play Racing
    Crewing at it's Best!
    Hemmingway Said "the only true SPORTS are Bull Fighting, Mountain climbing & Auto Racing, Everything else is just a game."

Liked: 24

I did not know you...no matter...
    via condios

Thread Information