Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Default Road America and the 40th, Vintage Fords

Hey, Vintage FF community, scroll down to the Formula Ford area, click on the 40th Anniversary forum, and check out the threads about the 40th at Road America July 24-26.
    Monoposto is the administrator of the Vintage Ford race, incorporating Monoposto's FF70 cars as well with a spit start, and all are invited to join in.
    The entry is available online at www.dlbracing.com, or from the Milwaukee Region website you can download it and mail it in [I did !!].
    Lots of FF celebrities committed to attending, it looks like maybe 200 FF's of all ages, licensing is no issue, Monoposto car regs, come and be part of the party.

Liked: 2

Default spit start??

How does that work? And aren't you supposed to be busy at VIR?

And stop trying to get more vintage FF's. Up until this AM I had a pretty good chance of a podium finish with only 3 cars entered. And I had the oldest car entered in the the whole FF field.

Seriously, let's get some more vintage cars entered. There's got to be something out there built prior to 1974.

And good job at VIR. See ya in acouple weeks.

mikie

Liked: 313

I'm working hard to get my 1969 Titan Mk5 ready to go, but it's an up hill struggle.

Liked: 4

Default Timing

The downside here is that the weekend before the 40th at Road America is the big vintage races (Kohler International Challenge). I suspect that a lot of vintage FF guys will be at RA for that event.

So the timing isn't so good for vintage guys. I was planning on going with my vintage FF, until I switched cars. Now I need too much done to get there in time.

Paul

Paul,
    While that is absolutely true, the KIC is indeed the weekend right before the 40th, Road America has agreed to allow FF competitors running both weekends to leave their equipment on site for the duration.
    And keep in mind, at the 40th the Formula Ford run groups are ONLY Formula Fords, whether Monoposto Vintage and FF70, Club with regional FF, or the FF National open to any GCR legal FF and any Nationally licensed driver, the only cars in any FF race will be other FF's.
    And Monoposto is awarding points for both of the Vintage/FF70 races towards their 2009 championships.
    We sincerely hope for a large and representative field of Vintage FF's, everyone is always very interested in checking out the first generation cars, and being surprised at the times they turn on their Dunlop treaded tires.
    Mike Rand

Default Idea to get VFF entries

I was thinking about the lack of vintage cars signed up for the 40th at Road America. Is it possible to advertise the event to people signed up for the KIC the weekend before? Perhaps you can do an emailing through SVRA (the club that runs the KIC), or maybe through other vintage clubs?

Paul

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Quote Originally Posted by PaulT View Post
    I was thinking about the lack of vintage cars signed up for the 40th at Road America. Is it possible to advertise the event to people signed up for the KIC the weekend before? Perhaps you can do an emailing through SVRA (the club that runs the KIC), or maybe through other vintage clubs?

Paul
    Paul has a good idea here. This event should be real appealing to the Monoposto Vintage FF70 racers with it being FF's only in the races & not grouped in with the much faster big bore cars that they usually run with. All you vintage guys need to get the word out to your clubs if it hasn't already been done. I'm guessing this will be the largest FF event of past & future years.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Default One More Group

There is one more group. I should have thought of them first. The monoposto club at

http://www.monoposto.com/

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by PaulT View Post
    There is one more group. I should have thought of them first. The monoposto club at

http://www.monoposto.com/

Paul
    Ya, I see they already have it mentioned in their news page.
    Scott Woodruff

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

Default gearing ?

Hey,
    What's the recommended gearing for monoposto Fords at RA?

We're planning to bring back Vern Jaques's Lotus 51. It's the car that Jules Williams drove to win the first FF race in the U.S. Driver TBA
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

Liked: 0

Default Not listed?

Since I won't have my vintage Ford finished, I was planning to be a spectator at the 40th. Unless I'm missing something (entirely possible), the weekend is not even listed on the RA website.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Swanson View Post
    Since I won't have my vintage Ford finished, I was planning to be a spectator at the 40th. Unless I'm missing something (entirely possible), the weekend is not even listed on the RA website.
    Gary, You are correct. I just sent them an email to ask about it.
    Scott Woodruff

Liked: 11

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Swanson View Post
    The weekends shown on the RA home page are only their larger open to the public spectator events. They do not list every single event, as there is something going on everyday of the week from May-Sept.

http://www.roadamerica.com/FanInform...ceSchedule.asp
    Peter Calhoun
    Motorsport Manager- Michelin North America, Inc.
    Swift DB1-86 FF1600 (bye-bye 3.12)
    2009-10 SCCA CM National Champions

Guys, due to interest and people calling asking about buying tickets the track has made the decision that the Cat National with the 40th Anniversary of Formula Ford is in fact an open to the public spectator event.
    While the track website may not say so, they are more likely looking at promoting their historically well attended weekends, like the Brian Redman KIC Historic races the weekend before, they recognize there is quite a lot of demand and will accomodate everyone who wants to attend.
    No problem, anyone not registering for the event can buy a ticket at the gate.

Liked: 23

Cool. Thanks Mike. Is it a normal $10 overcrew like charge or someother? Does that also mean that is not a 'dry' event like normal SCCA races and more like the ALMS or pro weekend (for spectators, of course)?
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

I think so Tim, but it is Road America and things can, and often do, change, as you are well aware........

Quote Originally Posted by TimW View Post
    Cool. Thanks Mike. Is it a normal $10 overcrew like charge or someother? Does that also mean that is not a 'dry' event like normal SCCA races and more like the ALMS or pro weekend (for spectators, of course)?
    Whoa! Are you saying normal SCCA races at RA are 'dry;? I didn't know any SCCA events were ever 'dry' anywhere & I've been to a few over the last 20 yrs.
    Scott Woodruff

Liked: 23

Every SCCA race supp I've read have always been 'dry' until the last checker of the day, regardless of division. For all who have signed the waiver, not just workers & drivers meaning everyone in the facility. But I've never been to the SE or SW divisions; perhaps you guys are lushes down there!
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Quote Originally Posted by TimW View Post
    Every SCCA race supp I've read have always been 'dry' until the last checker of the day, regardless of division. For all who have signed the waiver, not just workers & drivers meaning everyone in the facility. But I've never been to the SE or SW divisions; perhaps you guys are lushes down there!
    Sure, always after the final flag. I thought you meant the entire day. Whew!
    Scott Woodruff

Thread Information