Liked: 1

Default Now I’m really confused (FF brakes)

Ok let me start by saying that I was a journeyman mechanic and I has born into a racing family , so to make it short I know and understand race cars.
    Now on with it.
    1972 Winklemann WDF2 . it has 14LF Calipers in the front and the same size Calipers in the rear (1.89dia) heres what I don’t understand. Both master Master Cylinders are the same ( Girling 70 ) I know this isn’t right , the rear master should be larger dia ,more flow less pressure . and it has some unknown device inline with the front brake lines , it’s marked as a “safety braker” . is this cars braking system totally dependent on the balance bar and what is this safety braker thing? I know I do need to install a proportioning valve for the rears and I have one on order
    thank you all

P.S. please forgive the bad English. I was a mechanic not a English major

Contributing Member
    Liked: 9

I was confused too.

I searched around a bit and found a reference to the Safety Braker at Amazon in a book called "How to Make Your Car Handle" by Fred Puhn on page 165 or so. It claims the Safety Braker mfg. by G&O Manufacturing, San Rafael, CA, was some gadget that helped with lockup.

My (admittedly naive) perspective shouts this device is an incredibly dumb idea.

It would be better to get the right sized masters in place, adjust the balance bar, and forget about scary fiddly bits no one else uses. And it will be more period correct.

tim

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Safety Brakers put a bit of area under the pressure vs time curve if one would be able to plot it.

When you press the pedal you are essentially putting spike input into it.

They might or moght have not worked, but they sold a bunch of them in the 70's.

I agree, get a bigger MC for the rear or a smaller one for the front and adjust them with the balance bar.

Proportioning valves are as scary as safety brakers.

Thanks again for the info . I still don’t know why some on the things the guy who had the car before me did what he did , all I can say is he’s banned from all scca events ( he liked to do coke before hitting the track) oh well thanks again all

Liked: 29

Safety Breaker was pretty much a damping device, suppose to dampen out pressure spikes present (supposedly) as the brakes lock up. I'm ashamed to say I used to sell them back in the 70's . From my experience they did nothing...
    John H.
    Reynard 88SF

Liked: 123

In case you didn't get the veiled hint, do not install a proportioning valve in your braking system. Not at all, no way, Jose...

brian

yea i was starting to get that ideal , not sure where it came from but it might have been something i read

Thread Information