Contributing Member bryancohnracing's Avatar
    Liked: 16

Default Vintage F1 question

I have a friend who has done a 5 day Skippy School and has interest in doing a bit more driving. I say driving since I don't think he has desire to go wheel to wheel. For what it's worth he does have good basic skills, an appreciation for the big picture and so on.

So, here is the question:
    He is VERY interested in the "fantasy camp" idea where one can pay to drive an F1 car. He'd like to do it in the states. He also is enough of a fan to enjoy an older Cosworth car or more modern 90's era car.

Any direction or contacts that I can explore to help him achieve his goal would be great.

BTW, I am well aware of the silliness of such things, but I also know that it is possible to accomplish.

Please drop me a note at bryancohnracing "at" yahoo "dot" com or post here.

Thanks!

Bryan
    Bryan Cohn
    bryancohnracing@yahoo.com
    417-540-2595 text

Liked: 447

Where do I sign up?
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

Bryan,

I've been around the block a long time (as you well know - how's that for a mixed metaphor?) and had a lot of experience in S2 and atlantics (over 20 years!) Notwithstanding the cost factor, when I first got into the Shadow with DFV power I thought it was pretty cool. Not too bad - easy to handle. I did a whole test day at IRP and felt comfortable in the car. Not that fast, but it didn't matter - right? Learning curve and all that.

So, I go to Mt. Tremblant for the first HGP weekend. Beautiful weather, the Spa of the Americas, yadda, yadda . . . . I'm on track enjoying the hell out of myself. Look at me . . . I'm in an F1. But . . . . . even the old pharts with slow cars are passing me. Well. I'd better try harder. A bit more loud pedal . . . and . . .HOLY SH*T!!!!!!! The ONLY reason I didn't wet myself was that the submarine straps were really tight. I had finally let the OTHER 300 horses loose. It wasn't the speed - I'm used to that - it was the acceleration. Makes an atlantic look like a FF. I thought about coming in. However, pride and stupidity overcame logic and reason. It took me the rest of the day to get somewhat used to 520 horses in a 1300# car. With others around me. That was many years ago. It still takes my breath away the first race of the season. Over 5 years I've developed into a front runner.

What I'm trying to say is . . . . . I don't care how much Skippy time he has or what his appreciation of the big picture is. IF he could find (read "afford") an F1 car he would most likely trash it on the out lap. As for cost, he can rent mine for $25,000 a weekend with a $75,000 deposit on the motor and another $75,000 deposit on the car. Any damage to be assessed by my crew chief based on condition off the track and engine parameters (leakdown, compression, etc.) BTW, he pays all transportation and crew costs.

It is the greatest thing I've ever done from a racing standpoint. It takes a real commitment and a lot of desire (read that $$$$ - being single at the time helped - although my wife is all in favor of it) to have this avocation. Tell your boy to get a whole lot of experience . . . then get a whole lot of money . . . . .

As far as a more modern F1 car (late 80's/90's & later) he would never even get close to the point where the aero would start to work. Even the 1989 Reynard (570 hp)/1992 Ralt (470 hp) F3000s (both technically flat-bottomed) were way into the "Wee" factor when that started to happen.
    Last edited by Charles Warner; 02.12.09 at 1:13 AM.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

Bryan,

Check this out:

http://www.agsformule1.com/en/drivin...-formula-1.php

It's not in the US, but I think it's probably what your guy is looking for.

Here's a firsthand account from a participant:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=212296
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Thanks for the links Matt. Might have to ask for something like that for my 50th!

hmmmm.....

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default Thanks, Charlie!

Your post painted a clear picture! While I'd love to drive one some time, I'm certainly not thinking about racing anything like that--even if it was in the budget. Like most here, I'm a definite adrenalin-junkie, but at this stage my mind and reflexes are more in tune with FF than F1. I've also seen enough Indy Lites cars where the drivers have a hard time passing a good FF to know that high-powered, exotic cars are not good training devices.

Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    Larry Oliver

Banned

Painted a clear picture for me too....just probably not the one he intended

Daryl,

I stopped worrying about the pictures you perceive a long time ago.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

Banned

Liked: 210

Actually this would be a real fun time. Anybody know where these Minardi Cosworth/McLaren V8 powered cars are now? At least 3 were built.
    Last edited by rickb99; 06.23.09 at 2:07 AM.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1486

The Minardi guy brought them over and ran them during downtime at Champcar events. Probably still his.

The iRL has a few similar cars. last time I was at the Speedway they were running them. I had them on the watch at about 190.

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the scoop Charlie.

I'm quite sure my guy has the funds you outlined, to be honest. Now, does he value the experience that much? I do not know...

Over the last few years I've tried to get him into various formula cars on test days etc. He has very little competitive interest thus his reluctance to run in that kind of environment. I think his wife has concerns over him racing and he gets "Away" with school activities because she does not understand that its all the same basically.

I'll check out the link Matt. BTW, how is your Vee coming along?

Bryan
    Bryan Cohn
    417-540-2595 text

Liked: 23

This guy's wife is concerned about him racing? How's she going to buy his underwear at Sak's Fifth Avenue if he's in a wheelchair with a drool cup? Maybe she can find somebody that'll insure his wealthy butt, then she wouldn't have any problem with racing at all! I'm sure there's a ton of guys out there that have wive's that truly love them. From my experience,and I think I speak for a lot of other guys out there, its about the money. Look what Steve Fosset's wife said when they were going to start searching for him again-"That's REALLY not necessary."

Sorry to side track, but I really love to hear guys getting involved in this sport start jabbering about how their wife is really concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Lane View Post
    This guy's wife is concerned about him racing? How's she going to buy his underwear at Sak's Fifth Avenue if he's in a wheelchair with a drool cup? Maybe she can find somebody that'll insure his wealthy butt, then she wouldn't have any problem with racing at all! I'm sure there's a ton of guys out there that have wive's that truly love them. From my experience,and I think I speak for a lot of other guys out there, its about the money. Look what Steve Fosset's wife said when they were going to start searching for him again-"That's REALLY not necessary."

Sorry to side track, but I really love to hear guys getting involved in this sport start jabbering about how their wife is really concerned.
    That's a rather brutal statement!

I'm not married to him but I have a moment of concern about my son every time he leaves the paddock.

Last year, a novice in a VW GTI hammered the bank and rolled over. At the end of the day, I went over to visit him. His wife and young son were rather ashen faced at the days events. He has never been back.

Last year a novice driver in an FC stuffed the rear into a dirt bank pretty much taking off one side. After the day, Jeff and I went over to help him load the car into the trailer. His wife and 2 young children were rather ashen faced at the days events. He's racing still but the wife and kids aren't there any more. Money isn't an issue. He's a nerosurgeon.

Point is, family members do worry and it isn't just because of the amount of the inheritence!

Our sport isn't any more (probably less) dangerous the skiing, surfing or many other activities. But it's not without risks. If you're going to risk getting hurt participating in a sport or serious physical activity, the race track IS the place to do it. NO better safety and medical assistance available at any other venues! Three heart attacks at ours in 2 years (including one that died twice at the track). One LifeFlight out after a really bad one. ALL are back out there enjoying life at the races!
    Last edited by rickb99; 02.14.09 at 10:57 AM.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

Quote Originally Posted by bryancohnracing View Post
    I'll check out the link Matt. BTW, how is your Vee coming along?

Bryan
    Quite well, thanks. I just dropped the engine off this morning at Veetech to be dyno-tuned and checked out, which will give me the weekend to cleanup some brake plumbing in the engine compartment. Everything forward of the firewall is done, so when the engine goes back in, I'll be ready to bleed the brakes, order tires, install new belts, and wait til racing season starts!
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Lane View Post
    Not sure what your implication is here, but I agree with Rick's comments. My wife is concerned every time I go on track. However, she wants me to race as it is important to me and she loves being part of it. The two are not mutually exclusive and your comments about Sak's and the motives you attribute to wives are probably OTT. There are many of us with a much more grounded marriage than your experience might imply.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

Contributing Member
    Liked: 0

Default another alternative

The AGS boys do a nice job. Here is another alternative, also not in this country.

http://www.lrs-formula.com/

Liked: 23

I was trying a little levity in a situation I hear a lot about. I am truly sorry if I offended anyone.

Brett

Not offended. Just thought you were serious

Default Getting closer

Well, he loved the idea of going to Europe, but his wife can't get away from her real estate gig. BTW, she's ok with his driving, but has seen one too many NASCRAP crashes I guess and you can guess the rest. We met back while I was working for SCCA and had the pleasure of doing assessments of pro schools. He and I were paired in a car for the week. Two Jews at Lime Rock racing around in Skippy cars. Surely the world has spun off its axis!

As an alternative his son found the Andretti School in Vegas. I understand the cars are kinda dodgy and they aren't the real deal. Still, they go fast and he has never done an oval so it is of interest to him.
    Anyone know any scoop on this?

I think with a bit more time, dangle a side trip to Monoco and suddenly his wife will find the time off!

Of course he takes me along if I can make it all happen! Oh darn the luck!

Bryan
    Bryan Cohn
    417-540-2595 text

Liked: 11

Send your guy to the Andretti experience. A Podiatrist in my rowing team was sent there by his girlfriend and he raved about it. He is telling everyone that he is real Indycar driver now and it is really pretty easy because of his natural abilities that Mario himself recognized. Apparently in the two day program they stick you in F2000 cars on the road course and the second day they send you out in the "Indycar" for single file lapping, the doc says he was averaging over 150(doubt it). I asked the doc what kind of car it was and he did not know but that it was a "real" Indycar, I think they are using the old Mark Alderson-built tube frame, corvette engine cars. Mario was there both days though,that alone is worth the price of admission. I can't wait to get the doc in my shifter kart, that will bring him back to reality!

Thread Information