Liked: 0

Default Chassis #97 and #99 for sale

These cars have had a fairly unique and easy life since I bought them in 2005. They've spent a limited amount of time running around smooth parking lots at 1/3 throttle opening as part of corporate programs, or for the random enthusiast who wanted a taste of what the view is actually like from the cockpit. They've each been on the track a couple of times each year, again at part throttle. I had designs on offering them up for rent-a-ride stints in regional competition, but the formula car scene in Ontario is embarrassingly weak at present. Like all small businesses, I must go where the financial winds blow me, and I already know that I won't have any time this year to do anything with these cars. It drives me nuts to see them standing still, so they're on the market.

Both cars were assembled at Comprent. The drivelines are up to date, apart from the latest MBE reflash. I've tried to price them so that after adding the other upgrades (crush box, Penskes, steering column), they will still represent good deals relative to other lightly used cars.

The gearboxes are in great shape. I pull the gearsets out regularly to check them, but that's become an exercise in wasting gear oil. Because they've spent 93% of their running time in 1st gear only, the gears and dogs are as new.

Chassis #99 has a fresh motor in it (less than 2 hours). Yep, managed to crack that low hanging oil fitting loose, the novice driver failed to heed the warning on the dash and cooked the engine.

I don't have a lot of spares for the cars. One of the main things that led me to these cars was the CSR support network, and the consistently quick services of Comprent and One Formula have made maintaining any kind of inventory needless. I have two brand new sets of rains and a single set of wheels. There is one front and one rear quicklift, and two aluminum stands, which I would imagine will go with the first car sold.

The cars are currently sitting in the shop in the midst of the end-of-season checkover. I've also attached an older picture of a car at the Mosport development track. I can help with delivery throughout North America, if distance from Toronto is otherwise a concern.

Chassis #99 $32,000
    Chassis #97 $29,000

Regards,

Ben Swain
    416 275 8676
    ben@quickshiftracing.com

Wow. THese are great deals. I would hope someone picks these up soon and joins us this year.
    Matthew Inge
    http://www.MatthewIngeRacing.com
    Never Forget VT 4-16-2007

Liked: 2

I purchased my car #11 from Ben about 1 year ago and I am very happy with this car. I made two trips up and he actually brought the car down for me as I was without a trailer at the time.

My car required very little and there were no surprises.

If there are any buyers interested who need some info or help let me know. It would be nice to see this car stay local.....come on newbies I can give you a hand setting it up.

Ben was a pleasure to deal with and gave me my first crash course in scaling and aligning a formula car.

back up car hmmmm...???

Good luck Ben
    "The visibility at the best of times is liable to be a bit hazy due to clouds of ignorance"... Carroll Smith

Senior Member Bruce Allen FSCCA #82's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Quote Originally Posted by aspenripper View Post
    Ben was a pleasure to deal with and gave me my first crash course in scaling and aligning a formula car.
    You took a course to crash?
    Bruce, the "Greased Shadow"

Well Bruce I believe that my "course to crash" was the double SCCA school at Nelson............ fortunately I flunked.

I did come close when a FF spun in front of me. He took his foot off the brake before he stopped rolling and came right back across the track. I think when I tossed er sideways and avoided t boning him my instructor gave me the pass for the weekend...
    Happy New Year to you BTW
    Ed
    "The visibility at the best of times is liable to be a bit hazy due to clouds of ignorance"... Carroll Smith

Liked: 111

Well, one of these chassis was delivered by Ben this afternoon to its new happy home in the NEOhio region.

I have chassis #99 now, but the information in the first posts is backwards as to car numbering.

The cars are clean and straight as far as I can tell without stripping the car down to the bare chassis yet.

Ben was easy to deal with and very forthcoming with information. I feel my experience has thus far been much like Ed's (Aspenripper).

Thanks Ben!

jim

Jim
    good to see a car close to me. Let me know if you need anything. What events or tracks are in your plans. PM me or use email

edvargo@roadrunner.com

ed

Congrats Jim! Welcome to the class
    Matthew Inge

Contributing Member captaineddie1975's Avatar
    Liked: 19

Default Up the ladder

With former F500 competitors Jim L. & Marshall M. joining the FE ranks can it be safely said that the new career ladder is F500/FE/FA/ Indy Lights etc? (If you can afford one)

Its probably Star Mazda instead of FA. This years competition will be awesome.
    Matthew Inge

Liked: 447

Quote Originally Posted by captaineddie1975 View Post
    With former F500 competitors Jim L. & Marshall M. joining the FE ranks can it be safely said that the new career ladder is F500/FE/FA/ Indy Lights etc? (If you can afford one)
    I can't say there is an official ladder, but if I were a member of the lucky sperm club, this is the path I would take with money not being an issue to fame and fortune:

Karting
    FBMW
    Star Mazda
    Mazda Atlantic
    IPS or straight to IRL

Now for a "club" ladder, I would probably do this:
    Karting
    CFF/FF/F500
    FE/FC
    dead broke

..and I may even skip the second tier with that.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Contributing Member captaineddie1975's Avatar
    Liked: 19

I am very embarrassed. In mentioning the prior F500 drivers to make the jump to FE
    I forgot our National Champ from 2007 Brian NovakSorry Brian. Now I know it is definitely the ladder system (all it takes is cubic money) I would love to join the group as I sat in Bruce Allen's car at NHMS and found it very comfortable. Now about that cubic money.....

Thanks to both Jim and Ed for the kind words.

As mentioned, chassis #99 has found its new home in Ohio. There was some confusion in my original post, it is chassis #97 that has the new engine in it. This car is currently available.

Chassis #97 is being sold complete, turn key, but I have no spares at all, what I had having been part of the deal on chassis #99. This car will come with the nice Comprent cockpit liners. Given that most people will need to spend $5000 or so in updates to get the car SCCA competition ready, and that a spare set of wheels would be nice to have, I've dropped the price of the car from $32,000 to $28,500.

I also have an MK Technologies scale platform with Longacre scales for these cars. It might have been set up 8-10 times since I purchased it new. It was $3000 new, I'd like $2200 for it now, but it could be worked into a deal on the remaining car.

Regards,

Ben Swain
    416 275 8676
    ben@quickshiftracing.com

Thread Information